Notices
Maintenance & Repair 350Z up keep and diagnosing/fixing problems

feels like my clutch is slipping

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 09:01 AM
NFSP 350

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch felt like it was slipping?

Help! I've searched around but can't find anything to help me figure out my problem.

This is my Tranny mods.RJM ver.1 pedal bracket, Fidanza 3.2 clutch & NISMO Flywheel

Yesterday we had a cruise in downtown Panama City. They have one first Friday of every month. I rarely drive my Z. It sits in a garage under a cover most of the time, it had only been out the garage twice in the month, and only 4 mile drive each time. So I get it out, Quick Detail it, go inside & shower. Come back out to leave an a quick rain shower had passed over. So I dried the Z. At this the shower was so brief the heat in the road had mostly dried it back off. So I leave my house.

I get a few streets away from my house & the main roads apear to be comepletely dry. I roll hard into (Not instantly WOT) 2nd.....pulls hard. Shift into 3rd and roll in hard again hooked fine, all of the sudden RPMs jump a couple grand. Felt chattery like light wheel hop. So I let out and roll in again. Same thing. So I go to 5th. I get a few miles down the road and catch a light. Green light, I take off moderately hard. 1st fine, 2nd fine, 3rd fine, 4th then seems to act up a tad But then grabs. Rest of drive it quits acting up. So I get to the show & tell one of my club members with a Z31. He recommends when we leave go 30 in 3rd lightly brake while WOT for a moment.

When we leave I try his recommendation in 3rd & in 4th. Both bog the motor clutch doesn't slip. Then later on I am just driving, I roll in the trottle hard again (i don't remember what gear) and it acts up again. But the rest of the drive no problem. When I get home we try a couple launches in my driveway. No slip, chirps tire and launches.

Any idea? My Nissan truck had a pressure plate going out and would chirp 2nd & 3rd cold put once you started driving a little the clutch wouldn't grab very hard. The Z's problem was oppisite. Didn't seem to grip but then got better. Could it be in the VLSD? The driveway launchs appeared to only be spinning the driverside tire.

Last edited by NFSP 350; 09-07-2013 at 09:03 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:38 AM
NFSP 350

UPDATE: My friend & I just drove it and it's definately the clutch. What the hell. It seems to be that the pressure plate isn't pressing hard enough.
The clutch was installed 12,354 miles / 4 years ago. So averaging only 3k miles a year.

Has anyone had experiance with Fidanza, GOOD or BAD?

What clutch would you recommend, Act, JWT, Z1, etc? Please don't throw out some $2,000 twin clutch. I hope in the next 2 years to V2 supercharge so need something to hold aprox 450 hp.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:48 AM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

my Bran New South Bend Stage 2 up forsale here...

https://my350z.com/forum/drivetrain/...fly-wheel.html
Old 09-07-2013, 03:10 PM
winchman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The pressure plate is probably pushing hard enough, but there's nothing left for it to push on cause you've been doggin' the crap out of it.

Forget the 450HP pipe dream. In two years the car will probably be scrap metal.
Old 09-07-2013, 04:17 PM
NFSP 350

Originally Posted by winchman
The pressure plate is probably pushing hard enough, but there's nothing left for it to push on cause you've been doggin' the crap out of it.

Forget the 450HP pipe dream. In two years the car will probably be scrap metal.
And you sound like a person speaking from experience.
I actually don't drive it very hard on the street. Like I said I was rolling in to 3rd when it started to slip. I was in a 35 and had not done a thing in 1st and 2nd. I do autoX the Z, that why it has a built suspension but if you ever autoXed you know it pretty much get to 2nd and occasionally go to 3rd. I have never been to a drag strip with this clutch so you're obviously full of crap and have no idea what you are talking about.
Also if you Google Fidanza problems there is overwhelming complaints largely attributed to pressure plate. Huge complaints with F body and Evo guys. Some F body guys where getting slipping with only a 1k miles.
If anyone has some useful information that actually makes sense or a recommendation for what clutch to go with, it would be much appreciated.
Old 09-08-2013, 05:37 PM
calidrew909

get aftermarket clutch

/thread
Old 09-09-2013, 05:06 AM
NFSP 350

I have an aftermarket clutch. The more I look into it the more it seems hit or miss. I'm strongly considering a South Bend clutch but Google search revealed some where happy some had slip problems. Another thread guy says go Spec clutch never have another problem. Immediately countered by multiple post saying that them are the biggest piece of crap and linked other complaint threads. This was true for multiple clutches I researched.

I'm probably going South Bend or JWT but would appreciate some Z's to chime in with there recommendations.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:04 AM
David_2613

I have had several cars with ACT pressure plates and have always been happy.

They've been around a long time.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:31 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Jwt. That is what you want. Other brand for the z are sub par