Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

LOL @ Auto Trader

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 03:17 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default LOL @ Auto Trader

So I did that "Trade-In Marketplace"- sounds like a load of ****.

Your Instant Trade-In Offer is: $6,265 for my 2004 350z touring with 50,000 miles.

Has anyone had luck trading in at a dealer or even getting a value without showing up to a dealer?

I know why they say, "we need to see it in person"- they want to make a sale and have a live body in their showroom.
Old 10-06-2013, 09:29 AM
the_baitzboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im a car salesman for Jeep/Chrysler and Nissan. Heres how it works. You can tell anyone anything about your car and the stuff on it and about it, but until I get eyes on it your car is worth $0 because I dont know if your car has dents, stratches, apparent flaws, cracked bumpers, missing interior parts, etc etc. No dealership will ever take the word of anyone over the phone or the internet on a trade-in form without having the opportunity to look at it. I mean, would you seriously buy a Z without looking at it in-person? Also, ALL dealerships take the lowest or 2nd lowest amount for the "TRADE-IN" price. A dealership takes the risk of fixing the car, paying for it to be put into inventory, placed on a website, etc etc. So yeah, most Z are pretty worthless traded in, which is sad because most Z owners are pretty loyal and passionate about these cars, just to find out the passion is only worth so much, but thats business. Sales managers are the ones who determine how bad they actually want your car and how much they will pay you for trade-in value. Hope that helps, but be nice to the salesman, I got to make a living too

Last edited by the_baitzboy; 10-06-2013 at 09:33 AM. Reason: Improper english
Old 10-06-2013, 01:17 PM
oldschool350z

Yeah that does make sense. However I actually bought my z without even seeing it. There were no pictures on the dealers site because they literally just got it in on trade. They even wrote the mileage wrong on their listing which worked in my favor. I knew I wanted it as it was touring with 30k, put a deposit over the phone and picked it up lol.

I agree it's risky without seeing the vehicle, I've bought on eBay before without issues and then with issues. Would you suggest running the vehicle in the ground or trading it in (since youre in the car business and know about trade ins)? I really think I could only get $8000 trade in and id keep it for that- almost paid off.
Old 10-06-2013, 07:19 PM
the_baitzboy

Buying a car sight unseen is ridiculously dangerous UNLESS its has proper documentation of work completed or from a dealership. A dealership has federal trade regulations that prohibit them from selling a faulty car, these are rules individuals dont have to abide by...my advice, dont trade-in a vehicle that sentimental value to you. You're only gonna hurt yourself and not follow through with the deal, because in your mind you KNOW your car is worth more than $6500 or whatever. I mentioned the main reasons why dealerships do things the way they do in my previous post. They have to make money somehow and somewhere. If you know you can sell it for a price you feel reflects the legitimate value, then I suggest selling it yourself. Obviously you dont want to run the car into the ground. Also things to consider, while the 350z is fantastic vehicle, the 370Z, G37(s), FR-S, BRZ, and Genesis 3.8 and 2.0T are cars that drastically lowered the value of the 350 as per the NADA and KBB. By any chance do you have another car in mind?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:29 AM
oldschool350z

Well I was looking into a new wrx. But only would purchase the concept car if that ever came out. I've driven the new one and I hated it. The older ones are better in my opinion but I would only buy a wrx new.

I have a beater Toyota and my z. I think financial wise I'm better off keeping what I have.

The z was my dream car and it still is but not practical.
Old 10-07-2013, 08:55 AM
Blurvision

Received 102 Likes on 70 Posts

If your trading into a dealer. You not guna get much more than that...
Old 10-07-2013, 01:43 PM
oldschool350z

I'm aware. Just think it's crazy that a 2004.5 350Z with less than 50K is worth $6K to them. But they have to make $$.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:13 PM
The REAL PigPen

If you are anywhere near a CarMax, take it to them for an appraisal. If your 2004 has no mechanical issues, stock wheels and no major exterior issues / interior issues; you "could" get better than what was offered. Our pricing is closer to Black Book (auction value) and my Black Book has a 2005 Touring in "Rough" condition at $7645 (my book stps at 2005). Your miles are EXTREMELY low for the year model. You can always make more selling it yourself but I understand your situation of trading.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:34 PM
the_baitzboy

Also consider and take into account your local zip code. Local demographics are a relatively important factor. for example: trading in your Z during January while living in Aspen, CO,....you'll get a lot less because that local market favors 4x4s and SUVs. On the flip side, if you live in a big city (250,000+ people), you'll see a decrease in value because of the large number of similar vehicles in the immediate area. A good time to sell a stock/slightly modified Z is the beginning of spring that way future owners have the opportunity to utilize the car. The dealership I work for is very open and honest, we use KBB in front of our customers so they can see what we are doing and how we go about obtaining the numbers that we come to.
Old 10-07-2013, 04:10 PM
oldschool350z

Thanks for the info guys. My issue is I owe $3,000, I had a buyer for $13,000 a month ago but he wasn't comfortable paying my loan off and me writing a contract.

I store it every winter and put about 5k miles on a year. I don't mind keeping it, it's fun to drive and well taken care of.

I just hate dealers that play games. I bought my z without games or upselling.

Last edited by oldschool350z; 10-07-2013 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-07-2013, 05:46 PM
350zchad

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

i wouldnt sell mine for less than retail... but it has warranty, all service records, receipts, 20k miles, and mint, better than the new ones on the lot.. no swirls, scratches, dents, dirt, oil stains... door, trunk, hood jams are polished and sealed, all bolts are even mint, never driven in snow, salt, etc.. Wheel wells are cleaned and treated to keep them new condition, NEVER TRADE THIS IN

Oh bought her sight unseen too! in 2010 with only 5k miles shes an 07

don't sell until spring, old school
Old 10-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Entaille

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by the_baitzboy
im a car salesman for Jeep/Chrysler and Nissan. Heres how it works. You can tell anyone anything about your car and the stuff on it and about it, but until I get eyes on it your car is worth $0 because I dont know if your car has dents, stratches, apparent flaws, cracked bumpers, missing interior parts, etc etc. No dealership will ever take the word of anyone over the phone or the internet on a trade-in form without having the opportunity to look at it. I mean, would you seriously buy a Z without looking at it in-person? Also, ALL dealerships take the lowest or 2nd lowest amount for the "TRADE-IN" price. A dealership takes the risk of fixing the car, paying for it to be put into inventory, placed on a website, etc etc. So yeah, most Z are pretty worthless traded in, which is sad because most Z owners are pretty loyal and passionate about these cars, just to find out the passion is only worth so much, but thats business. Sales managers are the ones who determine how bad they actually want your car and how much they will pay you for trade-in value. Hope that helps, but be nice to the salesman, I got to make a living too
I've gotten several over-the-phone offers for my car when doing trade ins. the catch is clear - the offer or appraisal is based on a conversation and not on viewing - subject to change upon actually seeing it.. you should be able to give your customers an 'idea' of what to expect before they show up. not everyone wants to go to a dealership and waste their time if they can't get the trade offer in the right ballpark.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:08 PM
oldschool350z

Originally Posted by Entaille
I've gotten several over-the-phone offers for my car when doing trade ins. the catch is clear - the offer or appraisal is based on a conversation and not on viewing - subject to change upon actually seeing it.. you should be able to give your customers an 'idea' of what to expect before they show up. not everyone wants to go to a dealership and waste their time if they can't get the trade offer in the right ballpark.
Exactly that is all I wanted from some local dealer. I have him my vin, about 10 pictures and didn't want to drive three hours to be told something out of the ballpark.

He told me $5,000. Lets just say I think it's s lowball and another dealer told me $10,000. Of course it will change when I get there as they want me in the door. But he was serious when he said 5k. Saved me a 3 hour trip to hear that.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:12 PM
the_baitzboy

Have you had a dealership call and offer a specific number and offer to cut the check right there over the phone? Odds are, you haven't. The car is ALWAYS subject to viewing because almost EVERYONE buys a car off of viewing (with some research hopefully lol) Dealerships will only pay what they feel they can make off of the car. This is only different if you have aftermarket FI on a vehicle with paperwork and documentation of work performed. Conversation is merely there to lure you into another car or stall until the sales manager can get to the paperwork. The sales manager will always make the final call of the determined value they are willing to pay. Salesmen do not have the power to determine value, as the finance side of the dealership has to approve of the buying price/amount.
Old 10-07-2013, 06:20 PM
oldschool350z

I know how it goes they want warm bodies in the dealership. At least if he wanted that he could have said a higher number. The dealer loves to sell warranties and things nobody needs. The backroom f&i office will bring a salesperson an extra 10k a year if they get good commission.

Ive sold cars myself before and it's not hard. Just hard when there is a lien on the vehicle. My dad financed a civic si. And bought the warranty, I bet they are launghing because he also paid sticker. Hindsight is always 20/20.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:40 PM
the_baitzboy

Originally Posted by oldschool350z
I know how it goes they want warm bodies in the dealership. At least if he wanted that he could have said a higher number. The dealer loves to sell warranties and things nobody needs. The backroom f&i office will bring a salesperson an extra 10k a year if they get good commission.

Ive sold cars myself before and it's not hard. Just hard when there is a lien on the vehicle. My dad financed a civic si. And bought the warranty, I bet they are launghing because he also paid sticker. Hindsight is always 20/20.
As far as selling when there is a lien...simply be honest and upfront, tell the owner what the deal is. If the interested party is sincerely interested, he/she will wait for the proper documentation to be filled out, so if they need to wait 2 weeks or whatever then they accept that obstacle. Unfortunately I sell Jeeps for the most part. Grand Cherokees are very hard vehicle to sell...sitting next to a Leaf. Or Altima. Or 370z. But the new Cherokee (Trailhawk) and Grand Cherokee 3.0L turbo diesel will hopefully pick up the lack of foot traffic. Warranties are great IF you know you're gonna get rid of the car in 2 years. Also Gap-Insurance is a good thing to have for brand new cars. Just my experience.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:25 PM
oldschool350z

Makes sense. Sounds like I'll hang on to it until the wheels fall off. It's not worth much in the market really.