2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

When is modding a waste of money?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2013, 02:33 PM
goose691

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a thought... What if one does not consider his car an investment ?
Wouldn't that make it ok to spend money doing something you love?
Old 12-17-2013, 03:23 PM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

An investment is something that has return on investment. You don't invest money for something that loses value. A car is a monetary object which loses money each day and mile.

I drive my cars until something massive goes. I've had my beater for 7 years.
Old 12-17-2013, 07:21 PM
bolton 350z

most cars are a bad investment. people that mod their cars generally do so because it gives them satisfaction as long as it is worth it to you, and you dont care about the fact the money you spend is gone do it. people take holidays all the time is this a good investment, no but if they dont regret the expenditure it was worth it. as long as you are aware of this truth and you still want to do it, go right ahead
Old 12-24-2013, 09:16 AM
allshownogo

to each their own.

like others have said, every car loses value with each day and mile that passes by. you mod your car not bc it will yield to a higher value (bc it won't), but rather bc you want to personalize you car to your taste.

my personal opinion: the 350z looks good the way it came from the factory.
Old 12-24-2013, 10:10 AM
midz350

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Always.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:58 AM
Chromatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hrmm..

Well, financially speaking only -- Of course "most" mods are a waste of money as they do not act to appreciate the value of the vehicle (a few mods do.. and a few will help sell it as well.. but they are few and between.. -- At a dealership you can take your mods and throw them out the window whether that be a shift ****, or 50k in turning your car into the fastest streetable sportscar within 500 miles of you.

Investing in humans, is often a 'waste'.. but we do it.

For me,.. it's all about an internal joy I get from the car. I have dropped two K&N air filters in mine so far.. if I drive it long enough, that would result in a push at best. But I am in absolute awe of my 350z.. mostly stock,..

I appreciate it so much, it's my most prized physical possession.. not my home (which bank owns most anyways).. not clothes, or this or that others are passionate about.

Just looking at it and knowing it's MINE puts a smile on my face. Driving it 5 miles to the store makes having to run that errand a nice opportunity to take her out,.. instead of a chore.

Money can't buy these things really, can it?

Other people look at my car and think nothing really.. oh there's a car, ok next thought.

And I dare say.. there are a few who own this car and just consider it nothing but a car.. they could have a Truck and feel just the same about the mode of "Transportation".. Thus an enthusiast has a natural passion that emanates just from owning this car, and that investment, into the source of said passion, is priceless!

So it's always a bad fiscal "investment" to modify (99.9%) of the time,.. but it's a HUGE psychological and in some ways physical investment to modify 100% of the time for me.
Old 12-25-2013, 08:13 AM
350slug

Well said
Old 12-25-2013, 08:48 PM
jdmlove1

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chromatic
So it's always a bad fiscal "investment" to modify (99.9%) of the time,.. but it's a HUGE psychological and in some ways physical investment to modify 100% of the time for me.
^^^ this!

we do it for the self satisfaction and DIY, and because all parts/cars depreciate and they loss value.. i try to buy used after market parts.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:20 PM
350Zdj

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chromatic
Hrmm..

Well, financially speaking only -- Of course "most" mods are a waste of money as they do not act to appreciate the value of the vehicle (a few mods do.. and a few will help sell it as well.. but they are few and between.. -- At a dealership you can take your mods and throw them out the window whether that be a shift ****, or 50k in turning your car into the fastest streetable sportscar within 500 miles of you.

Investing in humans, is often a 'waste'.. but we do it.

For me,.. it's all about an internal joy I get from the car. I have dropped two K&N air filters in mine so far.. if I drive it long enough, that would result in a push at best. But I am in absolute awe of my 350z.. mostly stock,..

I appreciate it so much, it's my most prized physical possession.. not my home (which bank owns most anyways).. not clothes, or this or that others are passionate about.

Just looking at it and knowing it's MINE puts a smile on my face. Driving it 5 miles to the store makes having to run that errand a nice opportunity to take her out,.. instead of a chore.

Money can't buy these things really, can it?

Other people look at my car and think nothing really.. oh there's a car, ok next thought.

And I dare say.. there are a few who own this car and just consider it nothing but a car.. they could have a Truck and feel just the same about the mode of "Transportation".. Thus an enthusiast has a natural passion that emanates just from owning this car, and that investment, into the source of said passion, is priceless!

Awesome post!
Old 12-26-2013, 07:09 AM
chitownpete

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a waste when you spend more trying to make your car do something another stock vehicle can do for the same or less money. I bought my 350ZR because it fit and did everything I needed it to do. If I wanted more performance I would've bought a 2 year old Vette. While factory engineers are saddled with legal, corporate, safety,and emission issues they are usually among the best engineers in the world. I've seen too much aftermarket junk and refuse to "make things fit" if I can buy a properly built part. My 03 Mustang GT is a different story, but it's not the same level of machine as any 350Z. Many modded 350z's I've seen looked and sounded like crap. Then again I saw a plated Corolla years ago that ran low 10's in the 1/4 in back to back runs, sure silenced a lot of trash talkers at the strip that day.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:02 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I agree with Chromatic.

When you add expense (add mods) to your car, you lower the value of an already depreciating asset. It makes no sense financially; however, modifications change the car and provide the owner with a “new car” experience.

This “new car” experience is often enough to keep the owner with the car instead of upgrading to a new car. The savings is huge and makes upgrades/mods a realistic path.

I love doing mods, and it's kept me with my 2003 350z, saving a lot of $$'s

--Spike
Old 12-29-2013, 01:50 AM
xTreyx

I would say it is only a waste when you're miserable with your car. I am always happy to take my car out (noted I do live in a town where it is all Hondas out who try to pipe shot you) I guess it would just be when you hit a point where you don't like the car and are just ready to be done with it.

But as for me, I just want to go faster. Maybe that's just me.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:47 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you have to ask this question
Old 12-29-2013, 07:16 AM
radiocrash

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by superchargedg
When you have to ask this question
True. The only reason I asked is because sometimes I contemplate it to myself and wanted input from others.

I'm indecisive
Old 01-07-2014, 03:10 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

If you have doubts it will be a waste. Your heart and your wallet has to be invested. If they aren't, then your wasting time and money. Me personally find it a waste because my heart isn't in it. I don't care about trying to be faster than anyone else, I just like my car how it is.

Last edited by Jah70; 01-07-2014 at 03:13 PM.