Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Choosing Aftermarket Alarm

I want to get an alarm for my 03 model. The things I want:

Motion sensor
2 way remote
door un/lock button on fob
trunk release on fob
auto start

I'm also interested in any sort of safety measures needed for autostart on a manual transmission. I don't mean "leave it in neutral"...I mean advice on wiring a switch so if it's left in gear, it won't start with remote.

I've looked at the Viper systems, and they seem to get the best reviews.

Also, it has to be an alarm that I can have installed locally. I simply dont want to mess with spending all day wiring in something I can pay somebody to do in a couple hours.
Old 12-23-2013, 05:55 AM
graham0599

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm interested on this also
Old 12-24-2013, 09:09 AM
allshownogo

Originally Posted by Engloid
I want to get an alarm for my 03 model. The things I want:

Motion sensor
2 way remote
door un/lock button on fob
trunk release on fob
auto start

I'm also interested in any sort of safety measures needed for autostart on a manual transmission. I don't mean "leave it in neutral"...I mean advice on wiring a switch so if it's left in gear, it won't start with remote.

I've looked at the Viper systems, and they seem to get the best reviews.

Also, it has to be an alarm that I can have installed locally. I simply dont want to mess with spending all day wiring in something I can pay somebody to do in a couple hours.
so you want an aftermarket alarm that won't start if the car is in gear and it has to lock/unlock the doors and trunk (which the factory key fob already does), and you don't want to install bc you don't want to take the time to read the manual but yet put your trust in someone that may or may not be electrically savvy?

for a manual car, why or when would you not put it in gear when parking?

do you really think a motion sensor, or any other bells-and-whistles feature on an alarm system, will prevent your car from being stolen? if someone really wanted to steal your car, they will find a way (i.e. they could just tow it).
just get a decent alarm, and with the extra money you would be saving, install lojack, and call it a day.
Old 12-24-2013, 09:50 AM
The_Assassin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use viper and its real good. You can purchase all those add ons that you mentioned in your post. I also have the motion sensor attachment on mine. If the pager keeps going off I go and check my car. No one should be around it long enough for it to keep going off. I would definitely recommend that you get it installed by a professional.

Amazon.com: Viper 5704v Full Feature Car Alarm with Remote Start and 2-way Pager: Car Electronics Amazon.com: Viper 5704v Full Feature Car Alarm with Remote Start and 2-way Pager: Car Electronics
Old 12-24-2013, 07:02 PM
DrummerGirl

+1 Viper is a good route to go security wise. There's a 2 way system which will let you know on your keyfob when the alarm goes off. They also offer a lifetime warranty on their installs if you go through a licensed installer. Not to mention they have one solid fee so you don't have to keep paying a subscription fee that's re-occuring which is nice.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:19 AM
Suwaidi

^ Agreed with +1 on Viper. I like my Viper Alarm. There are models that include a 2-way remote, the door lock/unlock is pretty standard, trunk release/motion sensor are add-ons that can be paired with the system, and the auto start / remote start is also standard in many of their models. I would take a look at their website, look for dealers in your are and call around. The main cost is labor of installing the system, but dealers may cut you a package price or sell you a refurbished unit for less $. Just make sure you test out all the features after installation to make sure they work. I would advise against the motion sensor though, I've read reviews where they're too sensitive and would cause a lot of false alarms. If you live in a high-crime area or just want the added security, most of the alarms have the option of adjusting shock sensitivity (1-12 or 1-14 range).

http://www.viper.com/WhereToBuy/