Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Z feels slower after plenum spacer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 03:48 PM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Whats the mileage on Z?? Need a new knock sensor sub harness and possibly a sensor also. Its inexpensive so I would just do both while you are in that deep. Auto zone sensor is $29.99 and harness is $38.00 from Z1 motorsports. That's your problem right there.

Edit:
I have a harness from z1 but I think I'm going to hang on to it. If you want, you could take things apart and check the connection on the harness (on coolant pipe against firewall) and see if it became loose or not. There will be mixed reading w p0328 and p0327 which is why I would personally replace both. Most likely the KS itself is OK and its just the harness but don't take my word as every engine is different.

Last edited by taywan; 04-01-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:49 PM
czirrfb
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

77k miles

So this "knock sensor" issue is causing my car to be slower? Do you think the plenum spacer had anything to do with this code appearing?

Is this the part? How do I know mine is bad?

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...FdKGfgodQKYA_Q

I need the harness as well?

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=5833

Last edited by czirrfb; 04-01-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:52 PM
angel700

in before he asks...
there is a search on codes on google.

i cant post it because i dont think its allowed.

Last edited by angel700; 04-01-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:59 PM
czirrfb
Banned

The engine is not knocking at at, it feels completely smooth, someone said it may be the fuel im using, I make sure to always use premium. Also I can maybe try some injector cleaner? Before putting it 100% on a faulty knock sensor and/or harness
Old 04-01-2014, 04:00 PM
taywan

Na the plenum spacer has nothing to do w it. Its just bc you've moved things around and prob tugged on wires/harnesses enough to throw something off. If you've assembled correctly not pinching gaskets and torque sequenced all of the plenums etc, doesn't have anything to do w it. Now you will have to take off all plus more to get to the harness and KS (if u wanna replace that) so just be careful and take your time. It'll fix the issue and I'm pretty dam sure its just the harness itself either loose or its bad but like I said don't take my word on not replacing sensor while you're in there or you'll take things apart twice.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:05 PM
czirrfb
Banned

The harness is only 38 bux but the OEM sensor is like 140, ugh. So in order to get to it I gotta take off the entire plenum now? Maybe its because I left the stock upper gasket on when installing the spacer? I put the spacer on top of the gasket.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:09 PM
taywan

It doesn't have to 'knock'. The harness is loose/bad and makes the ecu not read things correctly and it takes couple degrees of timing etc off how its running in mid/higher rpms and you're loosing power from that.

The Z1 harness is great as I have one still in package compared to the OEM one. spacer doesn't have anything to do w the issue. You have to take it all off..upper plenum/lower plenum/lower runner w fuel injectors+rails/ and you're at the KS which has the harness...follow harness .......fig the rest out.

Edit:
Read what I said?? Do NOT spend $140 on one from dealer etc. Auto zone and all is the same sensor for $30 pricematched from O'Reillys, auto zone, and advanced auto. It is the same sensor w same numbers marking etc as from dealer...the dealer buys those parts from advanced etc. Trust me ive seen it all..plus ad auto and has lifetime warranty also.

Last edited by taywan; 04-01-2014 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Jah70

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

No injector cleaner man. Nissan and all other manufacturers specifically say to not use things like injector cleaners because they can do more harm than good over time. Premium fuel nowadays is good. My 95 Camry started shutting off on me when I used fuel injector cleaner a few years ago in college. I stopped using it and it was all better. Never used it on my M3 or my Z so I highly suggest you avoid it also unless you want to experiment.

Last edited by Jah70; 04-01-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:23 PM
taywan

Try to run non-ethenol fuel if possible but a can of sea foam would do great every couple thousand miles IMO.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:24 PM
czirrfb
Banned

Sounds like too much work to get to the harness/sensor. Im just gonna clear the code, drive till empty and fill up with premium and hope the code doesnt come back. This car is a headache....

I think I may have gotten in over my head with this thing. I should have just stuck with the civic honestly.

Last edited by czirrfb; 04-01-2014 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:33 PM
TWhetsZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would personally replace the parts that are related to the code(s) that it is showing. In this case the KS and Harness. Once those are replaced then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. I wouldn't even like driving my Z if I knew it were throwing a code. Trust me, you'll be glad you replaced those parts after it's all said and done.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:35 PM
czirrfb
Banned

Originally Posted by TWhetsZ
I would personally replace the parts that are related to the code(s) that it is showing. In this case the KS and Harness. Once those are replaced then there shouldn't be anything to worry about. I wouldn't even like driving my Z if I knew it were throwing a code. Trust me, you'll be glad you replaced those parts after it's all said and done.
The thing is.... I cant do it. Its too complicated/to much work. And I imagine the mechanic is gonna RAPE me to do it because apparently half the engine needs to come apart to get to the freaking sensor, ugh
Old 04-01-2014, 04:37 PM
taywan

Originally Posted by czirrfb
Sounds like too much work to get to the harness/sensor. Im just gonna clear the code, drive till empty and fill up with premium and hope the code doesnt come back. This car is a headache....

I think I may have gotten in over my head with this thing. I should have just stuck with the civic honestly.
Dam i know you just didn't say that..lOl. civic. Oh lord. Shi!t guess you can't handle the Z. Its not just gona run better after you clear the code as the code didn't throw a light on dash anyways. Oh well that was a waste of typing on my cell trying to help.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:40 PM
taywan

Dang just ask a couple members local to you and pay them to knock that out for ya if its too much for you to do. I'm sure somebody should be able to help you so you don't go to the dealer and higher priced shops.

Its about an hour or 2 worth of work (depending on how fast+good you are) You installed plenum spacer didn't you??

Last edited by taywan; 04-01-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:41 PM
TWhetsZ

The thing is.... I cant do it. Its too complicated/to much work. And I imagine the mechanic is gonna RAPE me to do it because apparently half the engine needs to come apart to get to the freaking sensor, ugh
If you installed the spacer yourself then I think you would be capable of doing so. There may be a how-to somewhere on here which would make it even easier for you.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:43 PM
TWhetsZ

Originally Posted by taywan
Dang just ask a couple members local to you and pay them to knock that out for ya if its too much for you to do. I'm sure somebody should be able to help you so you don't go to the dealer and higher priced shops.
^^^^^^^

Pay someone to help you and you learn at the same time. Great idea.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:45 PM
czirrfb
Banned

The dude at midas says that if the engine isnt knocking or acting funny the issue is most likely because I installed the spacer and was moving things around and it like upset the sensor, and the sensor has nothing to do with power. He says its basically like an "ear" to listen to the engine to see if its acting strangely, and the fact I have no CEL he says not to even worry about it.

He says to clear the code and drive it around a bit and it should be fine. I read in the spacer install instructions an ECU reset is recomended.

Last edited by czirrfb; 04-01-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:52 PM
taywan

Gonna go listen to a monkey at midas or tire kingdom is retarded. OK go ahead.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:54 PM
czirrfb
Banned

Im just telling you what he said, I called just now to ask how much replacing my sensor/harness would run me and he told me all that.
Old 04-01-2014, 05:00 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The dude at midas says that if the engine isnt knocking or acting funny the issue is most likely because I installed the spacer and was moving things around and it like upset the sensor, and the sensor has nothing to do with power. He says its basically like an "ear" to listen to the engine to see if its acting strangely, and the fact I have no CEL he says not to even worry about it.

He says to clear the code and drive it around a bit and it should be fine. I read in the spacer install instructions an ECU reset is recomended.
Oh for fU¢k$ sake!!! Take your VQ to either a local Nissan dealer, UMS Tuning in Mesa, Saad Racing in Scottsdale, or Intense Power in Gilbert. Geez...

Last edited by RudeG_v2.0; 04-01-2014 at 05:02 PM.

Quick Reply: Z feels slower after plenum spacer?