Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Clutch Burnt Smell!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 06:48 PM
Loic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Clutch Burnt Smell!!!

Something really strange just happened with my clutch. When the clutch is hot, basically when I do stop and go in LA traffic or when I launch the car pretty hard from a dead stop, I get a really strong burnt smell inside the car within few seconds; It was some bad onetime that I had to pull on the side of the road. But when I get out I cannot really smell anything….the smell is only getting out of the vents of the car!!! How is that possible??? The car is only 3k miles, and I drive the car quiet conservatively….I never liked the feel of this clutch, I get lot of feedback from the pedal and the clutch is kind of noisy when it engages. Does anybody experience similar issue…
On a technical point of view, I cannot understand why the smell would come out of the vents… Any ideas???
Old 02-02-2004, 07:05 PM
westpak
SFZCC

I don't know if this is your smell, but I get a heavy smell when I do hard accelarations but I think it is exhaust smell which odly is coming inthe cabin, maybe it is the cats.
Old 02-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Loic

Angry

It doesn't really smell like exhaust gas but definitely more like something is burning and it seems to be related to the clutch…

Originally posted by westpak
I don't know if this is your smell, but I get a heavy smell when I do hard accelarations but I think it is exhaust smell which odly is coming inthe cabin, maybe it is the cats.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Azn03Z

smell like rubberish?

its probably related to the cat.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:51 PM
Loic

Unhappy

Yes it smellt like rubberish...
But how come the smell get inside the vents...
And why the cat is smelling like that......

Originally posted by Azn03Z
smell like rubberish?

its probably related to the cat.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:15 PM
Psyc0

I have the same smell... wtf is it? I find every time i drive hard i wind up w/ the smell in the cabin, it was really bad one time, I had to open all the windows and drive around for a whiel to get it out of the car... it sucks
Old 02-03-2004, 09:03 AM
Loic

The smell I'm geting might be different, because I get it only when I use the clutch heavily. If I only drive the car hard but never do a steady start, I have no problem. If I do some hard start or get stuck in bad traffic, I'm getting this nasty burnt smell...

Originally posted by Psyc0
I have the same smell... wtf is it? I find every time i drive hard i wind up w/ the smell in the cabin, it was really bad one time, I had to open all the windows and drive around for a whiel to get it out of the car... it sucks
Old 02-03-2004, 09:25 AM
Jsn350Z

I have never herd of any smell other then for the first couple hundred miles and that is your exhaust, but soon goes away.

I am willing to bet that you are just slipping the clutch out to much and your burning it... If it is THAT strong its the clutch.

You should work some faster clutch work and not letting it slip so much.

As for the noise, yes it is very loud when it is going into gear, and this is normal.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:01 AM
Azn03Z

Yes, you'll get that when you drive the car hard, i guess its burning off something in the engine, because i got that smell in my 98 Accord, 03 Lexus ES300 as well. It'll go alway after sometime of driving the car.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:29 PM
Loic

You might be right but I'm not working my clutch that hard, I use my car as a commuter not a race car...I've being racing car in Europe for years, so I guess I know how to handle a clutch...
But still, why is the smell only present in the cab ???

Originally posted by Jsn350Z
I have never herd of any smell other then for the first couple hundred miles and that is your exhaust, but soon goes away.

I am willing to bet that you are just slipping the clutch out to much and your burning it... If it is THAT strong its the clutch.

As for the noise, yes it is very loud when it is going into gear, and this is normal.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:35 PM
Jsn350Z

I trhink you need to determin if it really is a clutch smell. I think it is pretty hard to mistake it with another smell.
Old 02-03-2004, 04:43 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

I have 1900 miles and I get the smell in the cabin also, However, I don't think it is coming from the clutch, because it smells when I start the car up.

My smell is like radiator fluid, however i have no leaks either. And of course the dealer is clueless, they want the car for the whole day.

My smell gets worse when I turn the heater on, ect.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:16 PM
Jsn350Z

Hmmm.. I have NO idea what smell everyones talking about... There was a smell fomr the exhaust/engine but only for the first few hundred miles and that was just the parts breaking in.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:32 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Hmmm.. I have NO idea what smell everyones talking about... There was a smell fomr the exhaust/engine but only for the first few hundred miles and that was just the parts breaking in.
I had that exact smae smell when I first got it. That went away after a few days after it was broken in after a few hundred miles.

However this smell, that I have is totally different.

I used to own a 1982 Crown Victoria and I had my heater core busted, hence it smelled like radiator fluid.

My Z has the exact same smell. I wonder if its the heater core inside the car. Anyone?
Old 02-03-2004, 05:42 PM
Jsn350Z

Hmm, intresting.. Seems quite a few people smell it too..
Old 02-03-2004, 05:48 PM
zand02max
350Z-holic

Does anyone else have the same smell I do. Radiator fluid type smell coming from the vents?
Old 02-03-2004, 05:58 PM
JeepRage

Originally posted by zand02max
Does anyone else have the same smell I do. Radiator fluid type smell coming from the vents?
Funny, I just really took notice of the smell tonight getting out of my car (thought I smelled a little something before, but actually acknowledged it tonight). When i opened my door to get out of my car, i smelled a clutch/rubber smell. I usually drive a LITTLE harder just before i get home, but this just means quick 0-45 mph from the stop sign, and then nail it 2/3's of the way in third again to hear the intake/exhaust, not dropping the clutch.

I havent really noticed it inside the car, just when i get out. It doesnt smell like extreme burnt clutch or tires, but almost like a mix of the two.

Hall
Old 02-03-2004, 06:03 PM
yobri
350Z-holic

The smell fairly frequently. Figured it's normal.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:27 PM
Loic

Unfortunatelly it is pretty difficult to describe a smell....

Talking about the clutch, I've been reading all over this forum that the clucth is pretty noisy but do you get some bad feedback in the pedal (vibration, shakes) while you're clutching and/or just before the clutch engaged ??
Old 02-03-2004, 06:28 PM
Loic

Originally posted by yobri
The smell fairly frequently. Figured it's normal.
Normal ?! when the smell is so bad that you have to get out of the car!!!!

Quick Reply: Clutch Burnt Smell!!!