Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Autoweek Longterm Test 2003 350Z update

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 12:28 PM
oscarmayer00

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Autoweek Longterm Test 2003 350Z update

FYI - Not sure if this has been posted before.

"We’re not alone in experiencing the tire problem"

"Most also agree that if the Z were in their home garage, they would keep it parked for the winter and find a beater to drive until spring arrives".

(08:30 Feb. 09, 2004)
2003 Nissan 350Z: Third-quarter update
Testing the Love

WHEN YOU LOVE SOMETHING (or someone), you can overlook flaws that others, less enamored with your subject, would find objectionable. That’s what happened during the third quarter of the long-term test of our Nissan 350Z.

Since the shiny blue Z arrived in April, the car has not had much downtime. One member of our staff has made it his mission in life to see just how many miles he can log behind the wheel of the car.

He’s not alone in his affection. The two-seater remains a first choice for anyone making a trip where not much space is required for luggage or passengers. Our logbook continues to record notes of praise for the car’s quickness, handling and overall high fun factor.

Unfortunately, a problem we noted during the second-quarter update regarding front tire noise grew worse this quarter. Even those who love the Z have started to pass over the car in favor of others in the fleet. A staffer noted one of the great joys of driving the car—listening to the sweet song of its 3.5-liter V6—had been lost because of the din caused by the tires.

Partly due to the tire noise, and the coming of winter, the miles driven dropped off precipitously. We logged just 3979 miles for the quarter, about half of what we’ve done in each of the previous two quarters.

We’re not alone in experiencing the tire problem. Z owners across the country have noted the same thing, forcing Nissan to issue a service bulletin saying the suspension design/geometry of some models is causing the inside of the tires to wear in a choppy fashion. Once the tire wear begins, so does the noise. The more miles accumulated, the louder the noise gets.

Nissan wasn’t able to tell us how many cars are experiencing this problem and our local dealer’s service department was instructed to reduce toe-in as much as possible and then rotate the tires. Since the tires are unidirectional and different sizes front/rear, that requires taking the front tires off their rims and remounting them on the same wheels with the worn edge of the tire going to the outside. As long as the inside edge is smooth, the noise goes away.

We had the recommended service done once and the noise went away... for a while. But it came back.

When the noise first developed, we knew we’d be swapping out the stock tires for a set of snow tires in preparation for a Michigan winter. But it seems everything about tires and the Z comes with complications.

In late November we placed an order for four LM22 Blizzaks that would allow the Z to be driven through winter. An hour after placing the order with Tire Rack, we got a call back saying the tires were not available. So we called our Nissan dealer, who had only rear tires, 245/45R-18s ($269 each), but no fronts, 225/45R-18s ($240). The dealer suggested we simply put four rear tires all around, but we quickly vetoed that proposal.

We contacted Nissan’s California public relations office to try and help with the snow tire search. Eventually, a call was made to Bridgestone offices in Japan, and after a bit of a search, four appropriately sized snow tires were found and subsequently shipped to our Detroit office along with a set of 18-inch, six-spoke alloy wheels. That allowed us to put away the nice Rays Engineering wheels that came stock on the car.

With the new tires mounted all around, one noise has been replaced by another—the sound of heavy lugged snow tires—but it’s one that is far less offensive. In fact, with flurries in the forecast, it is a comforting sound.

The car is now driveable in the white stuff and the traction control provides extra assurance that you will get to your destination, although you have to be judicious with the throttle off the line. But even with the snow tires, just switch off the traction control and you can do powerslides and donuts until boredom sets in.

Those staffers brave enough to venture out in the Z in the snow admit it is not their first choice for winter duty. Most also agree that if the Z were in their home garage, they would keep it parked for the winter and find a beater to drive until spring arrives.

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content...._code=08918235
Old 02-03-2004, 05:41 PM
B2BigAl

Most also agree that if the Z were in their home garage, they would keep it parked for the winter and find a beater to drive until spring arrives.
So true....I've been reduced to driving an 88' Tempo when the weather is bad.
Old 02-03-2004, 05:48 PM
benzz280

i am dying to drive my Z...
Old 02-03-2004, 06:28 PM
Reggi914

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I right there with you guys. I cant wait untill the spring so i can finally enjoy my Z again.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:41 PM
jhchan

People should write in with their good experiences with the Z. I think this article really gives the wrong impression to the uneducated reader who may come across this. Autoweek is also requesting us to write in with our experiences. I gave them my 2 cents about my trouble free time with my 2004 Track.
Old 02-03-2004, 06:57 PM
EL Diablo

Garaged Z ? what are you guys talkin about?
it was in the 60's today. hehe
Old 02-03-2004, 07:11 PM
orhanz33

i drive my z everyday
Old 02-03-2004, 08:25 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

IMO, the tire issue is the only real issue I've seen with mine. I'm very concerned it will come back, and I'm very concerned that Nissan would blow those of us off with this problem. Maybe this article will make Nissan actually come up with a true fix instead of band-aiding this issue.
Old 02-03-2004, 10:19 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I think it is a good thing the problem was pointed out. Nissan might readdress the problem with the negative press being created.
Old 02-04-2004, 03:17 AM
FairladyZ

I am glad that it came out too. If the article comes out negative (I dont think it did) that means less Z's on the road.
Old 02-04-2004, 04:26 AM
jmagilto2

Im curious if the tire noise problem is limited to the stock 18" bridgestone tires. My friend has a base and it had *NO* tire noise at 9K mi.

I have been considering F1's and not allowing the dealer to touch the alignment.

Has anyone had tire noise occur after accumulating miles on aftermarket tires?
Old 02-04-2004, 05:14 AM
pices312

I wrote to Autoweek and suggested they check out MY350Z and Zcar threads on this topic (feathering). My hope is they do a follow up article after interviewing Nissan. Maybe they can get some info on what is or isn't going to happen with this issue (feathering).
We deserve some answers and perhaps a magazine can get some.
Maybe we can suggest to the President that feathering is really an example of WMD's (Wheels Mostly Damaged) and he will authorize an invasion of Nissan Headquarters. LOL

Last edited by pices312; 02-04-2004 at 05:17 AM.
Old 02-04-2004, 06:20 AM
Soul Hunter

Well as a current Audi owner (and prospective z owner to replace the A4), I read this article and came away with an overall good impression. Having read this article and various threads here at my350, I think they did readers a service by mentioning this tire issue in some detail. In fact, one can only hope that such coverage by an arguably esteemed magazine will prompt Nissan to do something else - more substantive perhaps - to remedy this problem. I also came away with the impression that if I really take the plunge and buy some true winter tires, the z could replace my A4's significant capabilities in foul weather where relatively mild DC and NYC winters are concerned. That being said, I'm still hesitant to take the plunge due mostly to the space/comfort features I'd be giving up, the tire feathering issue (I'd be looking for a low mileage 2003) and the transmission issues people have had to deal with. In fact I was pleasantly surprised to read that after what must be significant mileage and no doubt hard driving, Autoweek does not appear to have had any problems with their tranny. Good article overall, and based on what I've read here, fair assessments of the car's suspension flaw and winter weather capabilities.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:58 AM
jhchan

Originally posted by Soul Hunter
Well as a current Audi owner (and prospective z owner to replace the A4), I read this article and came away with an overall good impression. Having read this article and various threads here at my350, I think they did readers a service by mentioning this tire issue in some detail. In fact, one can only hope that such coverage by an arguably esteemed magazine will prompt Nissan to do something else - more substantive perhaps - to remedy this problem. I also came away with the impression that if I really take the plunge and buy some true winter tires, the z could replace my A4's significant capabilities in foul weather where relatively mild DC and NYC winters are concerned. That being said, I'm still hesitant to take the plunge due mostly to the space/comfort features I'd be giving up, the tire feathering issue (I'd be looking for a low mileage 2003) and the transmission issues people have had to deal with. In fact I was pleasantly surprised to read that after what must be significant mileage and no doubt hard driving, Autoweek does not appear to have had any problems with their tranny. Good article overall, and based on what I've read here, fair assessments of the car's suspension flaw and winter weather capabilities.
If you are worried about all of these problems I say go with a 2004. The suspension has been updated and with the exception of the first run (prob July/Aug) the tire feathering should have been fixed (all enhancements mentioned in another autoweek article). I've got a 2004 built in October and it is problem free so far. However, if price is an issue I can understand that this may not be an option.

Comment on your space issues. If you EVER carry people or luggage the Z is not a daily driver in my opinion. You can fit a weekends worth of stuff for 2 people, thats about it. I have a second car for New England winter and hauling duties.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:22 AM
cedusett

Im curious if the tire noise problem is limited to the stock 18" bridgestone tires. My friend has a base and it had *NO* tire noise at 9K mi.
nope, I have an enthusiast with 17" and my Z is going in for the fix tomorrow.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:22 AM
JimRHIT

I know what they mean on the "no luggage" issue. I took a 2 week trip to NY with my clothes packed in plastic grocery bags ... we really have NO room for luggage.

.... but one heck of a fun drive, the comments I got from my family on the car, and 32.9mpg made up for it

jim
Old 02-04-2004, 10:12 AM
cedusett

please explain to me how you managed to get 32.9 mpg out of your Z.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:05 AM
boyze

My experience is identical to AutoWeek's regarding the tire feathering. In my case the TSB was a short reprieve. The roar returned to my Track. I've had no other problems. It's currently parked waiting for bare and salt free asphalt.

Has Nissan officially acknowledged the "frontend" problem and made a claim that the '04's have been fixed? Other than what's been implied in this thread I have not seen an official response, including from my dealer on this issue.
Old 02-04-2004, 02:52 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

I can get a pretty good sized suitcase in my car behind the strut bar (enough for two weeks for me in a tropical place, or maybe a week in colder weather or business). In front, I can get a carry on bag and a garment bag. Around the suitcase in the back, I can pack other stuff.

I think you could get two people's stuff for a week in the Z if you aren't overpackers (and to be honest, I generally come close to that).
Old 02-05-2004, 02:33 AM
FairladyZ

Originally posted by cedusett
please explain to me how you managed to get 32.9 mpg out of your Z.
You drive at a constant rate of speed on the highway. Set the cruise 65 maybe?

Quick Reply: Autoweek Longterm Test 2003 350Z update