Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

All Season Tires?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2004, 07:06 PM
rclab1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default All Season Tires?????

hello, where can i get All Season Tires.....????
what do you suggest????

i read in the Forum that the OEM Tires (oe40)
are really bad in wet weather.......

i'm planning on using All Season Tires in the
Summer, Fall and Spring,,,,,

and Blizzaks in the NorthEast Winters....
(may invest on a beater)
Old 02-04-2004, 05:19 AM
pices312

Pilot A/S tires are being used by some members,at least one in New England. The reports are good to date.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:23 AM
GRIMNOIR
Banned

That is exactly what I plan on doing. The stock Potenzas are worthless in the cold on dry pavement alone, and Ive never tried snow. The tire rack has some high performance all seasons that you may be interested in.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:31 AM
Bertg

Check out discounttiredirect.com or tirerack.com - check out the Michelin Pilot A/S or Pirelli PZero Nero M&S tires.
Old 02-04-2004, 05:43 AM
328skidpad

Default value sumitomo htr+ z rated with warranty

sumitomo htr+ at sears Z rated

40K warranty, 360treadwear
very good in snow
front 235/45/17 $130 at sears
back 245/45/17 $135 at sears

also recommended by chicago350z member
Old 02-04-2004, 07:32 AM
terrapen73

I got the Sumitomo HTR Z II on my BMW 328is in 225/45/ZR17 and they have been terrific in the rain and snow we have had lately. I had the factory Continentals on previously and these blow them away. For $400 mounted and balanced you cant go wrong with the price. I had Michelin Pilots on my previous car (3000gt vr-4) and they didnt compare in the wet weather to me. Dry handling was comparable. If you arent going to be going to the track and want a good all around all season tire I would recommend the Sumitomo's. Tire rack has em for a good price and most of the reviews on there from customers are favorable.

On that note if anyone is looking for a '98 328is PM me so I can get my 350Z sooner. When I get it, I will probably switch to the Sumitomo's unless the RE40's really impress me in the wet weather.

Edit: As the above poster noted Sears sells the Sumitomo's and in my hometown at least they will price match anyone including Tire Rack and other online places. You can save $15-20 a tire just printing out the price from Tire Rack and taking it in. Paid for my mounting and balancing.

Last edited by terrapen73; 02-04-2004 at 07:34 AM.
Old 02-04-2004, 07:58 AM
mwest300zx

Definitely use tire rack.com as a reference. Be sure to check the reviews on any tires you are considering. Being you are in Buffalo you get more snow than most of us so I would pay particular attention to the comments from people in the North East and Mid West. You may want to consider snow tires on the rear and all weather on the front if this is your daily driver and have to contend with snow on a regular basis. Good Luck.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:00 AM
rclab1

Default are they All-Season Tires.....

are those Sumitomo tires All-season tires.....
thats what i'm looking for.....

my Z Roadster is a Northeast daily driver.....
i'm really not going to the "track races"
just cruising around to work and errands
all types......

so am looking for all season tires that are
fairly well when it rains outside.....
again, i'll use the All-Season tires for
spring, fall, and summer.....

and Blizzaks in the Winters......

thanks.....

p.s. budget wise, are the Sumitomo tires
worth the investment........
i'm not looking into buying All-Season
tires for 1000 dollars,,,,,,
i'll only spend that much on Blizzaks

Old 02-04-2004, 08:12 AM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if you have blizzaks for the winter, why bother with allseason? any of the standard compounds like S03 or proxies will be much better in the spring, summer, and fall. and then take em off when it starts to freeze.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:15 AM
WayneTN

Originally posted by GRIMNOIR
The stock Potenzas are worthless in the cold on dry pavement alone, and Ive never tried snow.
Nothing personal, but I respectfully disagree. It was comments like this that made me wonder if I could even drive the car in the rain and in cold weather. What I have found, after driving this car for over a year on the OEM tires, is that its performance is not much different from any other high HP, RWD car. It performs very well in everything but snow and ice unless you get stupid.

If you drive sensibly, it's perfectly fine in cold weather. If you drive sensibly, it's perfectfully fine in the rain. If you drive stupid in the cold or in the rain, you will be listed on page 3 in the newspaper. It does not go well in the snow, however, as you might expect, but don't be afraid of this car in the cold and rain. It performs very well indeed.

WayneTN

Last edited by WayneTN; 02-04-2004 at 08:18 AM.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:15 AM
terrapen73

On the Tire Rack right now the 225/45/wr17 are $95 and the 245/45/wr17 are $99 on the Sumitomo HTR Z II. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Sizes....model=HTR+Z+II
I use these year round and have been very satisfied for the 3k or so miles I have so far. I cant help you on winter tires since we dont get much snow here. The ice we have had the last couple weeks went by with no problems though. They are a good all around A/S tire. Under $400 for a set before shipping is a damn good price too. $700ish for Michelin Pilot Sport A/S for comparison on the Tire Rack.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:21 AM
GRIMNOIR
Banned

Originally posted by WayneTN
Nothing personal, but I respectfully disagree. It was comments like this that made me wonder if I could even drive the car in the rain and in cold weather. What I have found, after driving this car for over a year on the OEM tires, is that its performance is not much different from any other high HP, RWD car. It performs very well in everything but snow and ice unless you get stupid.

If you drive sensibly, it's perfectly fine in cold weather. If you drive sensibly, it's perfectfully fine in the rain. If you drive stupid in the cold or in the rain, you will be listed on page 3 in the newspaper. It does not go well in the snow, however, as you might expect, but don't be afraid of this car in the cold and rain. It performs very well indeed.

WayneTN
Wayne,

Im glad that you happy with them. My guess is that there are'nt alot of hills in TN. Here in NY, there are ALOT of hills and Im getting tired of accelerating, and spinning wheel on dry ground. If I drive my other car the same way, I get traction. Believe me, Im not leadfooting it either. Its just a little abnormal to me that a car should spin its tires at every stop in the cold weather.
Old 02-04-2004, 10:38 AM
rclab1

Default you gave the Wrong tire sizes from TireRack?????

someone said its 225/45 and 245/45

the Z roadster i believe comes with
225/50 and 245/50

am i wrong?
Old 02-04-2004, 10:59 AM
Bertg

Z roadster tires sizes are 225/50/17 and 235/50/17.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:49 AM
vermilion

Originally posted by GRIMNOIR
My guess is that there are'nt alot of hills in TN.
You're kidding, right? Western Tennessee isn't too bad, but the eastern half of the state is almost all mountains and valleys.
Old 02-04-2004, 11:58 AM
samw1978

Originally posted by ares
if you have blizzaks for the winter, why bother with allseason? any of the standard compounds like S03 or proxies will be much better in the spring, summer, and fall. and then take em off when it starts to freeze.
I agree~ since you're gonna get snow tires for winter, why not just get S03? maybe a bit pricy but it gives awesome performance
Old 02-04-2004, 01:22 PM
JonsilvZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Michelin Pilot A/S tires from Tirerack. $200 each for 17s. Its good in the snow,dry,wet. A little pricy but with 400thread wear,quietness.I think its worth it. Well the 14.0 I got was with the A/S! Dry traction is better then OEMs.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:01 PM
phatvspec

I myself an looking at getting a 350 and this is my main concern. how does the traction control due in rain and snow (wet weather)? And the SA (sterring assist) or whatever its called? Just seeing how well the electronics handle these problems. But i do agree tires can play a good role. I myself use blizzacks on my spec v and it made a big diffrence but then again i am FWD car but blizzacks are if not #1 in wet weater.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:36 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by WayneTN

WayneTN
Im with you. now I did move out of NY when I was 8, hardly saw much of the state, but what I did see was pretty damn flat. now Im in GA, been here 12 years, and you cant go a mile without a hill. we dont have mountains like parts of the carolinas or out west, but we have hills everywhere, some steeper than others. I happen to live in a valley with steep hills of 5-7%grade everywhere. the OEM tires were very reasonable in any situation. was it good for cold weather? uhhh no. was it perfectly drivable? absolutly, no reason why a reasonable driver would not drive the car in any condition on those tires. if your looking for a tire that gives summer weather like performance, your wanting something that doesnt exist.

the Z is not the only car to use RE040s by the way. many high end cars use them like the lexus SC430, a 60-70k car.
Old 02-04-2004, 08:50 PM
bfleming

Default stock options

My Z is, for the most part, a daily driver all 4 seasons. I've been driving it all winter with stock tires, except on days when it is snowing and drive my camry. As soon as the main drags are clear and the neighborhood streets are relatively clear, I'm back in the Z, it usually takes about two days. You do have to start slow without wheel spin, use 2nd and avoid getting into tight spots or snow. If you spin the wheels, the stock tires will not find traction and you will slide sideways. The biggest problem is limiting wheel spin. I've had no problems with the stock tires in rain or cold. You probably can get them spinnig easier than you would all weather tires. They're designed for dry weather traction. The Sumitomos seem like a great alternative and I'll check them out. Wish the pilot A/S s were cheaper.

I have TCS but no VDC or SA? These devices will not conrol or drive the car for you and you shouldn't rely on them to handle problems. Try to drive so that you don't need them.

Quick Reply: All Season Tires?????