Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Insurance companies that pay for OEM or have OEM riders.

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2014, 08:46 AM
CraigJ88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Insurance companies that pay for OEM or have OEM riders.

Google is failing me...

I have an '05 that with a couple of exceptions is in perfect condition, and is all stock.

I have State Farm. Apparently there is no way to get SF to use OEM parts for anything, unless aftermarket or refurbs are not available. I like OEM, stock parts. They (supposedly) used to pay for OEM if the car was only 2 or 3 years old but apparently that has stopped.

I need to have my windshield replaced and my only 3 choices are
1. use the aftermarket glass, 100% coverage.
2. use new OEM glass, pay $500 to $700+ difference
3. use salvage glass (I found 2 windshields from totaled cars, both with less than 200 miles on them - glass is perfect) Unfortunately finding a reputable shop that will use salvage glass is difficult and no warranty on the work (thanks lawyers)

So I'll probably go with #1, because I live in AZ and the windshield will probably break again...

So for future considerations I contacted SF to see if they offer an OEM rider and they don't (I had to explain what OEM was). I spent a bunch of time searching the internet for insurance companies that cover OEM or offer OEM riders and came up with nothing meaningful.

What I'm looking for is any information that any of you may have on insurance companies that cover OEM parts or offer OEM riders. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:24 AM
frocker93

Insurance companies must pay for OEM or OEM quality parts if you have full coverage unless it is otherwise noted that they don't. Replacement glass should be perfectly fine especially if you think even OEM glass will just break again. I wouldn't sweat non-OEM parts unless it is a poor quality part.

For example, another member was asking about OEM fenders which are 400ish. I just replaced mine with an OEM quality replacement for 90 bucks. As long as it's OEM comparable, I would have no reservation about buying it unless you're doing an OEM restoration.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:25 AM
frocker93

Double post...
Old 06-24-2014, 09:45 AM
CraigJ88

Originally Posted by frocker93
Insurance companies must pay for OEM or OEM quality parts if you have full coverage unless it is otherwise noted that they don't. Replacement glass should be perfectly fine especially if you think even OEM glass will just break again. I wouldn't sweat non-OEM parts unless it is a poor quality part.

For example, another member was asking about OEM fenders which are 400ish. I just replaced mine with an OEM quality replacement for 90 bucks. As long as it's OEM comparable, I would have no reservation about buying it unless you're doing an OEM restoration.
Yeah, State Farm states that they don't. https://www.statefarm.com/claims/res...parts-promises When it's the other guy's insurance you can be more demanding because it's not your agreement with them. I once had a long fight with another guy's insurance company about things and in the end I won because they had to make me whole. Sometimes you need to have a lawyer write a nice letter... When it's your own policy you don't really have any leverage. And even if they don't state non-OEM there is usually something like an "at our discretion" global statement that covers them.

I would be less concerned about a part like a fender or something like that as long as is truly OEM quality. With visible parts that have markings like the windshield, engine components, etc, I really prefer that all the parts match. Probably not rational, but I'm willing to pay a bit more for a policy or rider that guarantees OEM parts. Also my other cars are leases and I worry that if there is a accident that is close to totaling the car and they pull a carfax when I return the car I don't want to be hit up with paying any difference in value if they used cheap / non-OEM parts for the repair. Not likely, but still possible - I mean, good luck going back to the insurance company after the fact in that situation. Although I was able to pull that off once about 30 years ago.

I saw a post somewhere where a guy said he had added an OEM rider to his policy. I'm perfectly willing to move all my business to a new company if needed. I apparently have too much time on my hands...

Last edited by CraigJ88; 06-24-2014 at 09:48 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 09:54 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

It's a 350z not an Enzo
Old 06-24-2014, 10:04 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

I'm not sure you could tell the difference in an OEM windsheld and and any other replacement windshield. What are the differences you perceive in the quality or markings on the windshield?
Old 06-24-2014, 10:12 AM
iideadeyeii

They pay for a replacement that meets OEM quality standards which makes you "whole" again....I've been in the insurance field for 13 years. A specialty company like Haggerty might be an exception, but a 350z will not qualify.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:15 AM
CraigJ88

Well, on a windshield, first and foremost is exact fit, and optical distortion. Then there are the factory markings (behind the mirror) and the correct label. I'm not suggesting that OEM glass is worth 5 to 10 times after market, but it's definitely worth double or triple. I've had aftermarket windshields before, and one of them didn't fit right, and the other the markings were not centered (problem with the glass not the install). Mostly though I want OEM because that's what I want. It's kinda like wanting a rolex. Sure I could get a knock off that keeps better time and looks exactly the same. But that's not the point of a Rolex. Yes this isn't a Ferrari. So what? It's a car that has zero damage (other than the WS of course) and I want to keep it perfect and parts correct. I would have assumed that the folks on this forum of all places, would appreciate that...
Old 06-24-2014, 10:19 AM
iideadeyeii

You're comparing your aftermarket window like it's an imitation
Old 06-24-2014, 10:23 AM
ZS14RR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its all the same chit. Only difference is one is being sold by a guy in a uniform and the other is out of a warehouse. From windshield and brakes. I have seen it with my own eyes. Some dealer by from a aftermarket cheap source change the boxes and done.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:25 AM
frocker93

As stated above, it is a 350z. If you're worried about quality it is not an issue. It will be an OEM spec replacement. If you're worried about resale and everything must be OEM, don't waste your time worrying.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:53 AM
oldschool350z

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I had geico and got my windshield replaced with oem from the dealer. It was $1000 with install but I paid $0.

They originally brought an aftermarket, I said my car has only 30,000 miles I would like an oem. He made it happen the next day, they were great. He also stated that some aftermarket ones will be thinner.

He fixed it right in my driveway as well.

Last edited by oldschool350z; 06-24-2014 at 10:55 AM.
Old 06-24-2014, 10:57 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigJ88
Well, on a windshield, first and foremost is exact fit, and optical distortion. Then there are the factory markings (behind the mirror) and the correct label. I'm not suggesting that OEM glass is worth 5 to 10 times after market, but it's definitely worth double or triple. I've had aftermarket windshields before, and one of them didn't fit right, and the other the markings were not centered (problem with the glass not the install). Mostly though I want OEM because that's what I want. It's kinda like wanting a rolex. Sure I could get a knock off that keeps better time and looks exactly the same. But that's not the point of a Rolex. Yes this isn't a Ferrari. So what? It's a car that has zero damage (other than the WS of course) and I want to keep it perfect and parts correct. I would have assumed that the folks on this forum of all places, would appreciate that...
You seem to be getting upset and quite frankly, I don't understand why. I have a 2003 Z with just under 24,000 miles and it is perfect. Would I like to keep it totally original? Yes but if an when I decide to sell it, it won't make a bit of difference if the car has non-OEM parts as long as they are up to OEM standards. Virtually all the parts the insurance company will utilize will be up to OEM standards.
Old 06-24-2014, 12:55 PM
frocker93

I've had a few replacement windows including 1 on my Z and have never had any issue with fitment/leaking/quality. These windows installed have cost me on average $250.
Old 06-24-2014, 03:19 PM
350zsunshinefl

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't listen to the trolls who tell you not to worry, my friend just had a crack in his 370z windshield, he got it replaced with an aftermarket one.... long story short the quality is complete crap, windshield is thinner, transmits more noise, the markings are nothing like oem, where the glass meets the A pillars you can tell the windshield doesn't fit 100% - it sits fine and doesn't leak water but you can tell its not the original.

You always get what you pay for.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:41 PM
frocker93

Yeah...trolls...

Like I said, I've never had an issue with mine. Maybe the ones I get are a better quality than what your friend got. Bottom line, 600 bucks to get a new windshield is ridiculous, especially when he expects to break it again anyway.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:02 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Are there not safety standards that demand a minimum quality for a windscreen made of safety glass?

I doubt that “…the quality is complete crap, windshield is thinner, transmits more noise…”
Old 06-24-2014, 07:06 PM
icer5160

Received 399 Likes on 300 Posts

Craig, I sympathize with you man. I feel the exact same way about my Z. I would take the risk and get the salvage. Like you said earlier, it will probably crack again some years down the road, so having a warranty from the installer won't really matter so long as the insurance company covers most of it.

Call me crazy, but when I check out a used vehicle for sale (dealer or private) I always check the windows and other areas of the vehicle to see if there are aftermarket replacements installed. If someone is upfront about the vehicle's history and has the paperwork to back up all maintenance and repairs, then great. But when there's little to no paperwork and the seller doesn't talk about the car...you have to rely on the cold hard facts about what you see and know about the car and from there make a decision.

Having all OEM parts helps with peace of mind.
Old 06-25-2014, 01:30 PM
scotty68

Originally Posted by Spike100
Are there not safety standards that demand a minimum quality for a windscreen made of safety glass?

I doubt that “…the quality is complete crap, windshield is thinner, transmits more noise…”
thinner is lighter weight. i'll take it
Old 06-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

Hadn't thought about that!

Quick Reply: Insurance companies that pay for OEM or have OEM riders.