2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

I need some pointers, please

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 11:22 PM
Sharp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some pointers, please

Hi guys.

I am counting down the seconds to this sunday. The reason: There is a "traxx" day at our local track.

This will be my first time out on the track, and this is my first RWD car. My biggest worry is the rear end may slide out.

Any suggestions? The last thing I want to happen is to loose control...

By the way, I have a track model with VDC, but I suppose that should be switched off? Right?
Old 02-09-2004, 11:04 AM
cedusett

Yes it can be switched off. My biggest suggestion would be not to go too hard on the gas through turns, and try to straighted it out before putting the pedal all the way down. That will help you keep it under more control.

Since you're a first timer, just make sure you don't overdo it.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:20 AM
samw1978

keep the VDC on for the first few round...
and, be gentle on the gas before apex
Old 02-09-2004, 04:06 PM
D'oh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd say that keeping VDC on is good for starters.

Also, don't try to set any lap records, but start off slowly and get a feel for things. You can gradually speed up as you get more comfortable. Remember that your tires will be cold when you first start, and won't have as much grip as they will after they warm up.

Stay smooth.

The following is key, and would have served me well:
If any part of the track is wet, be very aware of those locations and be extra cautious in that area. If you are driving the line and it is dry, but then get off into a wet spot, things will go bad in a hurry. Therefore, you will need to be extra careful about hitting rumble strips or going wide if there has been rain recently.

I went off line, hit a puddle, and crashed my car on Jan 2nd, and it is still being repaired.

Try to get an idea of the dangerous parts of the track, and be extra careful there. If there are locations with large amounts of runoff, then maybe you can be a little more aggressive in those spots.

Anyhow, just be careful and you should be fine. Go have a good time, let people by if they are catching up to you (that way you won't feel the added pressure of someone breathing down your neck), and don't push yourself too hard too soon.

I'm jealous....I miss my car. I'm sure you'll have a great time!

-D'oh!
Old 02-09-2004, 05:01 PM
randyshemin@comcast.

Don't back out of the throttle while turning- can cause snap oversteer and cause car to spin. Speaking from (bad) experience. Be smooth, and remember, going fast sometimes means going slower. Have fun!
Old 02-10-2004, 04:44 AM
seanazzy

Default Re: I need some pointers, please

where is this being held?
Old 02-10-2004, 06:20 AM
Sharp

Thanks for your great comments.

Here is my experience on the track:

When I got to the race track; there where instructors available to take you through a quick course on what you are suppose to do (and not to do). After the theory lesson, we where allowed to start driving on the track. There where not many people there, so you had the track almost for yourself. This really helped calming the nerves down a bit. The first couple of laps was with the instructor in the passenger seat. He helped me understanding racing lines and brake points. Also, it is very important that you are in the correct gear before you enter the corner.

I quickly mastered the concept and he left me alone to play...

I did leave the VDC on for the first couple of laps; but it actually annoyed me, so I turned it off. The car is unbelievable on the track. I cannot start explaining in words what the experience is like. I really urge all Z owners to go to the track!!!

Later, during the afternoon; the instructor came to me and ask me if he can drive with me again. Before we went out onto the track he told me that my biggest mistake is that I brake to hard and to long. So when we went out he told me that I must brake lighter and only when he say "brake" I must brake and when he say "release" I must start to squeeze down on the accelerator. So I tried to listen to him, but your instinct just want to override your brain! I mean: I was going into corners insane fast and I was exiting them even faster! What a rush! Later I started to get the hold of it - and we where going faster and faster...
When we pulled back into the pit lane he said: "Well done. You experienced about 60% of what your car can actually archive."

Well. That just says it all!!!

Speeding on public roads, taking corners a little bit faster than the average person means the following to me, now:
It is irresponsible! And I thought I can drive?! I was making a BIG mistake! Not just that, but I had no idea of what my car can actually do.
My eyes opened after being on the track. It is a rush, an experience that is 100% addictive. From now on I'll be at every track day!

The Z is a one hell of a car! It is made for the track and it would be injustice not to allow yourself this experience...
Old 02-10-2004, 01:51 PM
D'oh

Glad you had a good time.

It is certainly addicting, and really does open your eyes regarding the capability of the car and also the dangers of driving on the edge in an uncontrolled environment.

Thanks for the description of your event. I'm now missing my car even more.

-D'oh!
Old 02-10-2004, 03:27 PM
TurKGtS

man.. i want a three fiddy so bad....waaahhh
Old 02-10-2004, 11:37 PM
hndumafia

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

how did your tires (if they are the 040's) hold up from a beginner's day at the track?

Rajiv
Old 02-11-2004, 12:59 AM
Sharp

The 040's where perfect. After the 5th lap, they really started to grip...

It was a hot sunny day...
Old 02-12-2004, 08:41 AM
commasense

What track was it?
Old 02-12-2004, 11:42 PM
Sharp

Follow this link : www.zwartkops.co.za
Old 02-13-2004, 12:25 AM
samw1978

great to hear that you had fun! that's what I felt when I went to track the first time!
Old 02-13-2004, 12:46 AM
Sharp

He he.

I'm going out there tommorow, again!
I cannot wait anymore.
Old 02-13-2004, 12:54 AM
nyfm

What if your REALLY good at the Gran Turismo games? can you apply some of that skill into real life?
Old 02-13-2004, 01:26 AM
Sharp

Well, the idea behind it is the same, but -trust me- you just CANNOT compare it to a game!
Old 02-13-2004, 08:57 AM
D'oh

I haven't played gran turismo, but if it is a decent simulation, then you should be able to apply the theory to real life. However, in real life you'll find that there is so much happening so quickly that it takes some time to get accustomed to it all. Also, it's hard to simulate 1G cornering, hard braking, brake fade, having a car spin out in front of you, etc. etc. etc....on a couch

You might be able to get a good idea of the track though, since a huge part of driving a course is memorizing the track. Maybe GT would help with that aspect depending on how accurately they have modeled the tracks.

-D'oh!