Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

03' de nonrev build

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 11:06 AM
l.sanchez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03' de nonrev build

Hey guys new to the forumand just seeking some wisdom or do's and dont's. i currently have an 03 de non rev model and just started working on the bolt on mods. I have an aem CAI, motordyne 5/16 spacer, pulstar sparkplugs, kinetix hfcs and a motordyne tdx v2 catback. i was saving headers for last since its a harder to get to spot, any suggestions with my current set up, ive read other threads that just go back and forth but none that help isolate a few down. im looking obviously for hp gains but figured that id ask the gurus. later plans are jwt c2 cams and eventually SC but were building up to that.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:15 AM
The_Assassin

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you seem more set on performance mods I would say lose the tdx2 and get a light weight single. Maybe agency power exhaust. I would also suggest 4.08 gears but since you have the de model you might want to raise your redline first. Good luck with your build.

Last edited by The_Assassin; 11-02-2014 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:25 AM
l.sanchez

well I figured mods would be the only way to pump up the power for an NA build, I was also under the impression that according to the power curve in general our engines dont really benefit from going past 6.4k rpms?
Old 11-02-2014, 11:38 AM
The_Assassin

Sorry that was a typo I meant performance mods..well the reason I said to raise your red line is to benefit from the 4.08 gears. There is a thread on here about gears read up on it. Did you dyno your car to get a baseline?
Old 11-02-2014, 12:09 PM
l.sanchez

no I didnt get a baseline but I figured I claim the standard factory 287 and see where I stand afterwards...
Old 11-02-2014, 12:28 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by l.sanchez
Hey guys new to the forumand just seeking some wisdom or do's and dont's. i currently have an 03 de non rev model and just started working on the bolt on mods. I have an aem CAI, motordyne 5/16 spacer, pulstar sparkplugs, kinetix hfcs and a motordyne tdx v2 catback. i was saving headers for last since its a harder to get to spot, any suggestions with my current set up, ive read other threads that just go back and forth but none that help isolate a few down. im looking obviously for hp gains but figured that id ask the gurus. later plans are jwt c2 cams and eventually SC but were building up to that.
I wouldnt do headers until you get the supercharger. They are difficult to install and won't give you much gains.

You can do the C2 cams but it'll roughen up your idle and you will need to retune for sure.

What supercharger were you looking into?

If you think you'll be happy at 400whp then consider either the procharger or vortech. But I think (although I had and like the procharger) vortech gives your more options and can 'scale' better.

Look into a tuning solution that can tune your NA mods now and can tune your future supercharger or turbo setup down the road - such as Osiris or Haltech.
Old 11-02-2014, 01:14 PM
The_Assassin

no I didnt get a baseline but I figured I claim the standard factory 287 and see where I stand afterwards...
Yea but that 287 is not to the wheels. After drivetrain loss and everything you will be about 235-245 whp. That is what your actually putting down to the wheels
Old 11-02-2014, 02:37 PM
l.sanchez

yea I knew that wasnt whp tho currently not that many funds to play with since I just got all those parts. as for the SC I did some reading and felt like stillen was the way to go
Old 11-02-2014, 02:44 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

and felt like stillen was the way to go
It's ultimately your car and I like alot of Stillen's stuff but their roots supercharger is not part of that group.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:46 PM
l.sanchez

care to explain as to why stillen SC is. not ? also I was looking into an uprev osiris tune idk if that helps narrow it down

Last edited by l.sanchez; 11-02-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:02 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Stillen's stuff is pretty good - I like that it's made in the usa (or mostly), I like that it's a small business built up from a former race car driver, I like that I can call them and a real person answers the phone and (plus or minus) they can answer questions.

But I think some of there stuff is overpriced for what you get. This includes their 1st generation supercharger. They built it to get to 350whp and thats it. I do like their intercooler (air to fluid) but I think their kit would do better if it had a better tuning device than a split second box and a 7th injector. I don't like that you have to purchase their hood or their hood insert.

If youre gonna go supercharger and you want a more complete kit with better gains without getting overly complicated on a OEM block, better tuning for a similar price look at the ATI procharger...It's a pretty easy install, offers a tuning solution(albeit not great), is priced in the ball $6k ballpark, will get your 400whp and will be pretty reliable. But it wont (really) support your other modifications such as the cams. The best part of the FMU is that it's stupid simple while the worst part is that it's stupid simple.

The vortech tuner kit would be a better option with the modifications you already have and will give you more options down the road if you want to go higher than 400whp.

You should search the internet and forum for other people that have gone supercharger and added other supporting mods and see what they've done.

Last edited by bealljk; 11-02-2014 at 05:04 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:14 PM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

2014 and people still praise stillen.

I have a buddy who has the stillen supercharger on his 370. Biggest waist of money ever. Kit was a mess of parts with no real way to install it. tons of custom fab work. Horrible power gains just like the 350 edition.

The 350 exhaust from them is heavier then stock. Headers crack and need to be rewelded like crazy. Please don't tell people stuff from them is worth it or "good". Run away from stillen.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:57 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by NiLL
2014 and people still praise stillen.
Yeah, the exhaust is pretty heavy and if you compare a true dual versus nissan's OEM single of course it's gonna be heavier - what were you expecting?

Originally Posted by NiLL
I have a buddy who has the stillen supercharger on his 370.
We all have 'buddies'... If you're '*******' Stillen supercharger on the 370z than you are '*******' vortech bc they sourced their kit from vortec...which plenty of people have had success with the vortech kits. And if you're ******* on the tuning then you are ******* on Osiris because they handle the tuning...and something tells me your buddy did the 'mail it in' option and wasnt tuned for his specific application...

If I had to choose between Stillen or Godspeed/Megan/Universal - I would choose Stillen everytime...

waist versus waste...epic!

Last edited by bealljk; 11-04-2014 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-04-2014, 08:40 AM
gabez33

how are those pulstars holding up....id go superchager,, DE has way too many good ooptions compared to us
Old 11-04-2014, 11:46 AM
l.sanchez

Originally Posted by gabez33
how are those pulstars holding up....id go superchager,, DE has way too many good ooptions compared to us
I dont know if they made a difference but so far I cant complain on the pulstars