Sponsored by:

the idea of winter 350z???

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 08:11 AM
Eisinn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question the idea of winter 350z???

Good day.

I recently got my 350z 03 and have loved it to bits since. It is a stock Z. Few days ago i thought as i live in iceland and winters hit hard here i might make my Z a little unique from the others and try to get this aggresive winter car look. Wheels with spikes (not large but bit above the avarge nailed wheel) and something, you get the idea. ^^

What do you guys think?
Id love opinions/reccomendations, anything. Color? Kits? Rims? Suspensions? Addons? Anything.

Was thinking going white in color as its the color of the snow (duhhhh) i dont know. This has just been on my mind for a while

P.s i know its rwd and not optimal for ice/snow so no need to point that out.

Last edited by Eisinn; 12-01-2014 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-01-2014, 09:37 AM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

Like you said, not exactly the best car for it.
However, if you have the money to spend to do it right and don't mind have a 350z that isn't the most useful, I do think this could turn out rather interesting.

You should post some pictures of other cars that you are kind of basing this off of so that we can get a better picture of it
Old 12-01-2014, 09:45 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Not only is the Z33 RWD, but ground clearance also is scarce. Putting on larger diameter tires might help, but +2 sidewall expansion is about as much as you can stuff in there. Let's not even think about what spiked tires are going to do to your bodywork or inner fender liners! Most suspension kits are designed to LOWER the Z, but I'm sure if you have the money, anything is possible.

My feeling is, put this "winter car Z" idea to rest. It's not worth the trouble and really compromises the Z's design for the rest of the year...
Old 12-01-2014, 10:25 AM
le mans sunsetz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would look for some bigger tires as mentioned something that will stick. The VDC and TCS on the 350z is very nice in the winter. I drive mine in the winter sometimes and if you have TCS on its very hard to spin the car.. compared to having it off atleast. However obviously it is still a terrible car to drive on snow. I have seen a very cool Z in the winter that was vinyl wrapped (vinyl will save paint) in snow camo with a large Ings +1 wing and black wheels. Very slick car.

This isn't the car I was mentioning but a little idea.

Do some research on coilovers. I know for some cars you are able to lift the car with coilovers but I'm not sure about the Z. Although, it may look rediculous lifting it. Since you're concerned about looks as well I would throw on a cb radio just for the antennae look of the car lol. Make it look like its an adventureful car... idk. Maybe offset the rims as well. widebody kit would obviously look badass.. etc.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:26 AM
le mans sunsetz

body kit above looks like a veilside. Its just a pic off google so idk. veilside is very expensive however and it would likely get dinged up. ice chunks in the snow will kill your bumper and crack it.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:33 AM
le mans sunsetz

Also maybe move as much weight as possible to rear. Battery, washer fluid... etc. Just some thought.
Old 12-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Eisinn

yeah i like that car on the picture its a good way to the image i have in my mind that im trying to puzzle together.

the thing is ive got 2 choices either get a new 4wd/fwd car and make the Z a garage car over the winter or get something done to the Z so its driveable in the snow. if for example i would like to go from Reykjavík to Akureyri (gotta love dem names) which are the two biggest citys in iceland i have to go quite a few mountain roads. the winter car is just a thought just taking the usually winter modifications to the extreme a bit. and im not going anywhere without nailed wheels here on a good winter
Old 12-01-2014, 11:18 AM
le mans sunsetz

Originally Posted by Eisinn
yeah i like that car on the picture its a good way to the image i have in my mind that im trying to puzzle together.

the thing is ive got 2 choices either get a new 4wd/fwd car and make the Z a garage car over the winter or get something done to the Z so its driveable in the snow. if for example i would like to go from Reykjavík to Akureyri (gotta love dem names) which are the two biggest citys in iceland i have to go quite a few mountain roads. the winter car is just a thought just taking the usually winter modifications to the extreme a bit. and im not going anywhere without nailed wheels here on a good winter
If it's not going to be an all out winter car. I would say just either throw some studded tires on it or get a beater and garage it. There's not much you can do performance wise other than tires. Maybe suspension but then when summer comes around you would have to change it again.
Old 12-01-2014, 11:31 AM
craig12895

Received 160 Likes on 129 Posts

Yea it would be extremely impractical. If you convert it to a winter car, its going to make it useless as a summer car.
You should probably go for the 4wd option you have
Old 12-01-2014, 12:05 PM
Eisinn

This Porsche front bumper has this metal protection instead of lip spoiler. looks like a good idea to avoid damage to the bumper like Le Mans Sunsetz mentioned.

This is just a thought i have had for a while. not very likely ill go the length to do it as my Z is nice the way it is at the moment. will be doing a winter drive this year but next year i will most likely garage the Z and get a 4wd. just thought it would be interesting to see what you guys/girls thought but keep the ideas and opinions coming ^^
Old 12-01-2014, 12:18 PM
Frostydc4

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Better tires are a must. Also turn off the VDC & TCS before you drive otherwise the car wont move.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:04 PM
clubhopper

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by le mans sunsetz
body kit above looks like a veilside. Its just a pic off google so idk. veilside is very expensive however and it would likely get dinged up. ice chunks in the snow will kill your bumper and crack it.
It's all from Voltex...not Veilside That car was from the Toronto, Canada area. Great car...

Last edited by clubhopper; 12-01-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 12-01-2014, 04:44 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

How much snowfall (mm’s or inches) do you get in Reykjavík and Akureyri?

Do you get wind and drifting during the winter?

I realize the temperatures stay cool during summer months, but I don’t think it gets very cold there anytime during the year. I’m comparing to where I live (Minnesota) where subzero temperatures are common during the winter.

I think the real obstacle to owning a Z in Iceland is not the coldest temperatures, but that it never gets very warm. You probably would not want to mount summer performance tires since it is almost too cool in the summer (and for sure during the shoulder months) to gain advantage from that setup.

I run my Z in the winter, but I mount 4 studless snow tires. I remove my summer performance tires when the temps are less than 45 degrees Fahrenheit.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:54 AM
Eisinn

Originally Posted by Spike100
How much snowfall (mm’s or inches) do you get in Reykjavík and Akureyri?

Do you get wind and drifting during the winter?
In the big citys studded tires are not needed but i dont live there and where i live ive seen cars get stuck in snow.
Dont know the average in mm :/ many roads are often closed during winter because of heavy snowfall, winds and ice

Wind is common in iceland because of the mountains and can easily go over 24m/s tho its not that common its still a number you see quite a bit all around the year.

This weekend there is supposed to be -10°c (14°f) and even lower here and there. Maps say frost could go as low as -16°c or 3°f tho that is not common i think.

http://www.mbl.is/english/news/2014/..._wreaks_havoc/ 55m/s is nearly 200km/h those are recent news
Old 12-02-2014, 05:44 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

I live in Colorado, where we have quite a bit of snowfall from Oct through April. Sometimes, the best sight is looking at my Z tucked away in the garage on a snowy day. Put snow tires on it and let the elements chew away my gorgeous paint and bodywork? Not on my watch!
Old 12-02-2014, 05:48 AM
le mans sunsetz

I live Near the Cleveland ohio area right next to the lake and we get some horrible snow storms. There have been times where I got stuck out in a snow storm out of nowhere with summer tires. It was awful. There was one time there was a few inches covering the road and I was stopped at a light. The car got stuck In the middle of the road. It was on flat surface, no hill. It went through about 3 light cycles and I finally made it out by tacking the car at red line for sometime:/ lol as far as tcs goes wouldn't larger tires mess with it?
Old 12-02-2014, 06:21 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Blizzaks - only thing you need. Of course in a deep snow you will be plowing so that won't help. I run mine on Blizzaks in Ohio every day of the winter. Even made it through 8 inches of overnight snow last winter. Scraped bottom a bit getting out of the neighborhood, smooth sailing after that.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:54 PM
aboveliquidice

Originally Posted by PerfZ
Blizzaks - only thing you need. Of course in a deep snow you will be plowing so that won't help. I run mine on Blizzaks in Ohio every day of the winter. Even made it through 8 inches of overnight snow last winter. Scraped bottom a bit getting out of the neighborhood, smooth sailing after that.
Rocking this setup right now... Another key is to place weight directly above your rear wheels.

Someone above mentioned wider tires... I have no idea what that person is talking about. Wider tires tend to stay above snow rather than plow through it. When I upgraded to aftermarket 19s, I converted my OEM 17s to a permanent winter set with blizzaks. If you have adjustable coilovers, raise them to stock height to gain clearance.

RWD isn't ideal... but it rarely impacts your ability to move from point A to point B. Let me know if you need any specifics.
Old 12-02-2014, 02:15 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

I agree. I drive all winter in Minnesota where we only get somewhere between 30-40 inches of snow, but the temperatures often go subzero December to February.

I have Dunlop Graspic DS-2 studless tires, 225/55-17” all-square. I don’t go wider for the reasons you mention in your post.

Originally Posted by aboveliquidice
Rocking this setup right now... Another key is to place weight directly above your rear wheels.

Someone above mentioned wider tires... I have no idea what that person is talking about. Wider tires tend to stay above snow rather than plow through it. When I upgraded to aftermarket 19s, I converted my OEM 17s to a permanent winter set with blizzaks. If you have adjustable coilovers, raise them to stock height to gain clearance.

RWD isn't ideal... but it rarely impacts your ability to move from point A to point B. Let me know if you need any specifics.
Old 12-03-2014, 08:32 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I went all square on the OEM stocker 18", 225 somethings. No additional weight and I've never been close to being stuck, or even sliding around any more than what I consider fun lol. And yes, these tires are great for the freezing temps as well as the snow - pure summer tires suck when it gets cold, to say nothing of anything more than a dusting of snow. I prefer this to getting a beater - I already have the '90 300ZX TT with 410 to the wheels for summer fun and it is of course hibernating for the season.

Quick Reply: the idea of winter 350z???