Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Best trim

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 05:44 PM
Slipery4life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best trim

Hello everyone, I am currently in search for a track car. My former Dd/weekend track car was hit and declared a total loss by the insurance. So I bought a truck and I have a trailer to haul a track specific car. I'm wondering what year and trim would make the best starting point for a track car? I dont want to spend a whole bunch on like a nismo if I am going to slowly modify it to fit my standards.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:01 PM
rearranged

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

'03-'05 track model
Old 07-14-2016, 06:07 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,292 Likes on 896 Posts

Welcome! You'll need to better define what "meets your standards" for a track car. Are you looking for an occasional track use vehicle that is lightly modified? Or a Z adaptable to W2W racing with performance and safety systems to match? What are your goals?
Old 07-14-2016, 06:08 PM
Slipery4life

Are there any really issues to look out for in these models
Old 07-14-2016, 06:10 PM
Slipery4life

Well this is going to be a track only car so I don't need to worry about emissions or any of that stuff. And yes I will be adding safety features and taking out to the track as much as possible
Old 07-14-2016, 06:11 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Get a base model and modify accordingly... Or any other... Really doesn't matter much if you plan to modify it, I wouldn't pay any more for any specific trim just to rip it apart.

But I would say base model will be your best option.
Old 07-14-2016, 06:30 PM
Slipery4life

OK what about the engines like the differences between her and Rev up and so on
Old 07-14-2016, 10:01 PM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Slipery4life
OK what about the engines like the differences between her and Rev up and so on
It depends on how much money you want to sink in to it.

It's cheaper to get a REAL LSD in a base model. The factory VSLD is kinnda trash, It likes to uncouple when you let off the power and its only 30% locking anyhow. (VSLD is on any trim over base)

If you plan on adding real brakes like AP racing or a plethora of 6 pot conversions available for the car such as the porsche brembo 6 pots, get a base.
If the track brembos are good enough for you (for some its not) then get a 03 track its the lightest.

If you are plan on modifying the engine it depends on how much you are willing to go. Want a cheap 400 HP car? get a DE (revup or not) and supercharge it. It's cheap and easy.

If you are going to stay NA I would highly recommend spending more and getting an HR. Obviously your mileage will vary and SOMEONE will argue with these numbers but, typically a bolt on DE will see 260-280HP with bolt ons. You might be able to hit 290-300 with cams and some port work on the heads.
Where as an HR just needs berk HFCs and a true dual exhaust to hit 295-300
With 315ish easily obtainable with intake mods and a tune as well, and it is very possible to hit 320-330 with 3" intakes, bigger TBs and, ported and matched upper and lower plenum.

(All numbers at the wheels)

If you are going to hack it up and do whats needed for a real track car get a base IMO. And I would do an HR. The track brembos can be had for cheap, but you would be best off spending cash on a real track ready break system.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:11 PM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Slipery4life
I dont want to spend a whole bunch on like a nismo if I am going to slowly modify it to fit my standards.
There are a few rebuilt title nismos that can be had for 12-16k. Something to consider is its a fantastic starting point for tracking. I could easily outdrive the limits of my 2006 350z. I'm to scared to push the limits of my Nismo being my daily and All, I don't feel like taking the 360Deg on and off ramps at 100+MPH on the street, the car just keeps gripping.

The suspension is very well setup sans the progressive rate springs in the rear, If I could find swifts in the same rate as the compressed rate in the rear I would change mine. Combined with the seem welded chassis it is a very capable car from the get go and I can only imagine what its like when stripped.

Anyhow the point is If you want something you can buy and track without having to order suspension components right away, and the brembos are very good in short runs. You might want to consider a rebuilt Nismo.
Old 07-14-2016, 10:18 PM
Slipery4life

Thanks Nill I'll take that into consideration. Like I said this is going to be track specific since I have my truck now I can actually haul it and not worry out emissions or things of that nature......I think I'll go with the base and make a proper track car.