Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My nut and bolt 350 HR build

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2017, 11:16 AM
kiugarage

Received 32 Likes on 11 Posts
Default My nut and bolt 350 HR build

Felt i should post something about my love for Z's.... It started off by buying a new Rev spec back when they came out, sold that and eventually bought another...

Another came up for sale in Black, my colour of choice and ended up buying that as a fun track inspired street car... After being asked many time by a friend to buy it from me, i eventually said if i can get my hands on a black HR i would.... i looked that afternoon and one was loaded on gumtree 6 hours before.... and so this process began....

Below are pictures of my DE i sold... loved the look and stance of it... I was lucky enough to not sell the wheels and coilovers in the deal so they would then move onto the HR....

With one or two ideas in mind of "cleaning it up", it always seems to spiral from there, as youll see....

I love the Z but the HR was the way forward from the DE... the DE had the intake spacer, decat, exhaust, uniq chip and was awesome, the stock HR i could already feel was quicker....
I got the HR at a steal so decided to rebuild it rather to make sure everything was PERFECT and would be able to much better the times around our local track....
So the build started... i pulled it into the workshop and started stripping....

So i pulled it in and then it began..... Here some before and after pics of the subframes and so on... I stripped everything off underneath and so on... Also all the nut and bolts went in for coating - yellow/gold...

After stripping i decided i wanted to stitch the chassis to make it that little bit more rigid... i started with the front end side.... stiched it up, used some filler on some of the welds so it cleaned it up, then etch primer... sanded it down and gave it a coat of gunmetal.... I decided on the colour as the black tends to hide to much... wanted a clean look...

The interior also all came out.... i stitched and painted under the dash first to seal everything off... I put all the original wiring and so on back in but left out radio and speakers... i also took out the ABS and all the airbags as i ordered a custom cusco cage with rear X brace...

All sound deadning came out too.... no point in having the weigh in there, but for heat on the front end i did put in gold foil....
Every part on the car was cleaned before i reinstalled it.... just wanted the car back to new....
The following 6 users liked this post by kiugarage:
Atreyu'z 350 (11-14-2017), blufc3s (01-25-2017), HRMoneyPit (01-25-2017), Jazzyfella (03-05-2017), KingBaby (03-18-2017), pyshin (01-25-2017) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Popular Reply

02-12-2017, 02:27 AM
kiugarage

up, get this guy on the ground.... Brake lines..

Needed to make up a couple of them due to taking out the ABS... Ive had issues with ABS on the track before, locking up the front left or right wheel, i just made a call to take it out rather, means the ABS unit is out which saves some weight, and figured i didnt really need it.... Apparently i could have run a uni-q chip on the ABS itself but i have no idea how to do that or who could.... so out it goes.....

Here are some of the lines for the front and rear.... I also replaced the rear lines with braided to the calipers... fronts were already done with the AP ones...

Inside the front arch, the two rear lines which i then used a T piece to get it to one line....Used hard lines here because of stones and so on, im not putting any arch liners back in i dont think....

I used a brakeline tool to get it as neat as possible, as OEM as possible i guess... I thought about running it in the rear section or firewall area, but im guessing its the same same...at this point its easy enough to get to and shouldnt hopefully have issues later....

Always use this fluid... havent ever had any issues, and have used with the AP's before, was a no brainer to put it in....

Car back on the ground and rolling.... Super happy to have it back at this stage.... its paint next and then a whole lot of other things coming.... I must get moving and decide what i want to do engine wise...

MONEY SHOT

Old 01-25-2017, 11:37 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

hellava first post!
Old 01-25-2017, 11:48 AM
kiugarage

Forgot to mention this all took place over 2 weeks in December 2016... with shut down of most factories this side i wanted all the parts sorted out so i could assemble as much as possible....

Ive ordered most of the parts needed and they should arrive next month... Car will go in for paint once im finished with the brake lines and rear end...

Here some more pics of the process...

Interior rear end stitched up and then etch primer... I didnt paint the floors as i just thought weigh and the carpets are going back.... left it factory.... sans rubberising... Dash back in at this point too... the wiring took forever, if anything take lots of pictures if you do this... you wont remember as much as you think you will.....

Cleaned out.... this area is basically done.... happy with how its going, car wasnt great when i got it so to see it at this stage is great...

The idea is to have it rolling in March again sometime, when it goes off to paint, ill spend time on the engine side of things... The plan there is to try get 330whp plus... We will be doing headwork and so on... i have also ordered these guys.... i really would like to get close to the 400 mark.... NA

Ordered matching, im hoping to get the best out of it... Also the weight saving is huge going single exit and TI... catback being under 6kg, i think total weigh there is 20-30kg of saving...
Old 01-25-2017, 12:01 PM
kiugarage

Next up, the boot area.....

Cleaned all the rubber out which took forever... once the main bits are off, i just wipe with fuel to get it clean clean.... they recon around 30kg with all the crap you dont need in the rear side of things... Im hoping to get around 100-150kg off the car from the original weight... The boot lid weighs 33kg so something has to happen there.... seats 22kg's each.....

Some more work on the front end.....

stitched and cleaned up a bit... car had some damage on the right rear so this way im just making sure its up to scratch... I dont plan on running any rear panels after the speaker cover ones... Going to paint it the same colour as the engine bay.. the cage ill leave in the trade mark Cusco blue..

At this point the car has come a long way in a short period.... Happy so far.............
The following 3 users liked this post by kiugarage:
Atreyu'z 350 (11-14-2017), HRMoneyPit (01-25-2017), KingBaby (03-18-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 12:40 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,255 Likes on 2,316 Posts

Freakin' thorough and awesome.

It took a lot of scrolling down before I noticed the right-hand hydraulics and asked myself, "Wait, where's this guy at?" Haha.

Still didn't know until I looked up Port Elizabeth. Welcome aboard.

Last edited by MicVelo; 01-25-2017 at 12:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Atreyu'z 350 (11-14-2017)
Old 01-25-2017, 12:50 PM
kiugarage

Hey MicVelo, im all the way over in South Africa..... RHD for the win... haha....

thanks for checking out the thread...
Old 01-25-2017, 02:09 PM
nizmo_0385

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts

Freaking awesome thread welcome
Old 01-25-2017, 02:18 PM
pyshin

Received 75 Likes on 53 Posts

Damn this is amazing, man. Looking forward to more progress.
Old 01-25-2017, 03:39 PM
tampa_joey

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

wow. just wow.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:06 PM
turboed350z

Received 277 Likes on 215 Posts

Talk about building it from the ground up! Much respect. I would love to do something like this, but i just dont have the time nor patience to strip it down and build it back up.
Old 01-25-2017, 04:22 PM
ridered929rr

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

A stitch here and a stitch there, that is fawking great. Probably the best 1st post I have run into on here. What did you use to get the sound dampening off in the trunk? Dry ice or chemical and scraping??

Keep up the updates coming and well nothing but keep that shiet coming!
Old 01-25-2017, 04:40 PM
tampa_joey

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

u might have missed it in all the pictures- "Next up, the boot area.....

Cleaned all the rubber out which took forever... once the main bits are off, i just wipe with fuel to get it clean clean.... "

(of course- now i am wondering what in the fk the SAs are using for fuel-lol)
Old 01-25-2017, 07:47 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

can't wait to see the rest. when i think of build..i think of something along the lines of what you are starting off with. i can see you are a true Z enthusiast!
Old 01-25-2017, 09:13 PM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,284 Likes on 1,646 Posts

Wow, eager for updates
Old 01-26-2017, 04:11 AM
Erdem

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subbed
Old 01-26-2017, 08:08 AM
mypahoehoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alrighty! Looks like I will be following this. Love the work so far.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:45 PM
venture210

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

So sick... Getting to 400 NA will be tough though. Trust me lol You will definitely need ported intake manifolds from a 370z, HIGH compression pistons(12.5:1 JWT), valve springs to rev high and let the engine breath, cams also, nismo oil pump, E85, and a reeeeeeally aggressive tune. Even then, it's still not likely you will hit 400, but that will get you really close. You would get more power per dollar with a bolt on turbo kit. Boosted performance makes one. Only thing about that kit is the turbo he includes is an oil less turbo. Definitely would rather use an oil fed ball bearing turbo.

Regardless, awesome thread and welcome
Atreyu'z 350 (11-14-2017)
Old 01-26-2017, 02:56 PM
Arrtus

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

400 NA is definitely not impossible. Here's some inspiration for you.

http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticl...ynos-350Z.aspx
Old 01-27-2017, 03:05 AM
kiugarage

Hey guys, thanks for checking out the thread.....

Ridered, i literally just slogged and slaved to get all the crap off the inside... paint scraper and flat screwdriver.... hammer... haha... the rest is putting some fuel on it to sink in and wiping it down till there is nothing left.... hours and hours... i want the boot painted out so going to try get it as neat as possible in there....

As for the 400Whp,(thanks arrtus) the guys from on point are on point.... when i saw that and started checking out what they were up to i thought, i would try for something along those lines... im not to stressed about the 400, but im guessing with the stuff i want to do i could get more than 330WHP... the DE or local 350's here aint really that quick and after seeing the figures you guys over the water are pushing I WANT THAT....
At the local circuit here my DE with coilovers and radials did a 1.14.1 and im hoping for sub 10's with the HR on semis... should be easy enough actually with the weight and so on out... fun street too... "playful driving"....hahaha

Anyway, thought i would show you this too... Had these coilovers made up for the DE but moving them over to the HR now.... BC-ZR's with custom spring rates and i got them to make up lines and external "oversize" reservoirs... looks trick more than anything else and runs compression and rebound setting which is great....

They also not to much money wise and havent had any trouble with them before... love the external reservoir....hahaha

oh and this guy..... sold it with the DE but will make another.... felt the rear wing just wasnt enough... we fiddle with carbon a bit this side so we made this up.... on the black carbon is king dont you think??......

before clearcoat

after.....

Old 01-27-2017, 03:08 AM
kiugarage

hey venture210....... there just is something exciting about a fast 9k NA...hahaha.... im trying my best to not go to overboard in that way and having a chassis that can handle its power.... so many fast cars here but to much power to get the times down on the track.... anyway, lets see.... super keen.....
KRyn (12-29-2017)