Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

KEY Wont turn help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2017, 04:34 PM
SuperMariosBro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KEY Wont turn help!!!!!

Ok this is 2006 infiniti g35x. Just got the car 2006 with 90k miles and everything was perfect. Put around 100 miles on it in a month started it probably 10 times maybe 20. Then one day my wife parks it and later that day key wont turn! I was at work and told her to turn the steering wheel a little to the left or right and turn key to see if unlocks and i guess didn't and now because how far she turned it the steering wheel is also locked lol. REMEMBER key was locked first its not a case of locking the steering wheel and unlocking it by cranking on it and turning key.

When i got car the guy (not dealer) gave me was a single key and it worked. Didn't get no button things for remote lock and car alarm. Key worked fine. After 10 -20 key starts that was the end of the key turning.

Tried wd/40 and it's locked in off.

Infiniti seen our key and said it was not a factory key. idk

Last edited by SuperMariosBro; 04-30-2017 at 06:50 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 04:41 PM
SuperMariosBro

key goes in and out fine it just can not turn
Old 04-30-2017, 05:25 PM
Atreyu'z 350

Received 262 Likes on 228 Posts

If you find a star you'll be able to start it with your fingers.. I'm jk...

- Take it back to the ''car guy'', not Infinity, and ask what the deal is.
- I wouldn't spray anymore WD/40 in there. It's just going to collect dirt.
- That's all Infinity said. Did they mention anything about the lock cylinder?..

Last edited by Atreyu'z 350; 04-30-2017 at 05:40 PM. Reason: pressed 'tab+enter' by accident
Old 04-30-2017, 06:36 PM
SuperMariosBro

I asked about the tumbler is that what you mean lock cylinder? They wanted over $400 for a new key switch but said they don't think it's that but how would they know really... Key works in door fine. All i got from seller was a key and the infiniti dealer said to me it's not an infiniti key and does not know how it was working for me in the first place which confuses me especially when i swear i seen a youtube vid of a guy using same shape key in an infiniti. Here is my key. I do not have the elec remote for alarm and locks just got this key with it that worked probably 20 times then stopped.

Last edited by SuperMariosBro; 04-30-2017 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:37 PM
SuperMariosBro

the key
Attached Thumbnails KEY Wont turn help!!!!!-infiniti-key-front.jpg   KEY Wont turn help!!!!!-infiniti-key.jpg  
Old 04-30-2017, 06:41 PM
SuperMariosBro

Also how can i unlock the steering wheel? My key was locked by itself but because i told my wife over the phone to turn the wheel a little left or right and key at same time to see if key unlockes and she locked the steering wheel so now both are locked lol. So how can i unlock the steering wheel by itself is another question.

Last edited by SuperMariosBro; 04-30-2017 at 06:44 PM.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:50 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,277 Likes on 1,022 Posts

Does your ignition switch look like this:

It won't start because you're missing the I-Key remote. You need to buy a remote and have it programmed. It'll be pricey, but I recommend buying two. They'll charge the same for programming whether they do one or two keys. At this point, you'll have to have the car towed to the dealer. Normally, You leave the remote in your pocket and just turn the black **** to start the car. You only slide the "key" out of the remote to use in an emergency. I believe it only works for a certain number of times before you have to have the remote. This was Nissan's first iteration of I-Key. Later versions used a push button starter.

Last edited by i8acobra; 05-01-2017 at 02:54 AM.
Old 05-01-2017, 08:29 AM
PerfZ

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

^^^^^On a 2006???? You sure about that?
Old 05-01-2017, 08:34 AM
SuperMariosBro

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Does your ignition switch look like this:

It won't start because you're missing the I-Key remote. You need to buy a remote and have it programmed. It'll be pricey, but I recommend buying two. They'll charge the same for programming whether they do one or two keys. At this point, you'll have to have the car towed to the dealer. Normally, You leave the remote in your pocket and just turn the black **** to start the car. You only slide the "key" out of the remote to use in an emergency. I believe it only works for a certain number of times before you have to have the remote. This was Nissan's first iteration of I-Key. Later versions used a push button starter.
The remote? To program i seen you just put key in and out 6 times with in 10 secs then lights flash and so on is that the program you mean? because i seen remotes for 10 bucks that work going by youtube videos
Attached Thumbnails KEY Wont turn help!!!!!-g35-inside-2.jpg  
Old 05-01-2017, 08:36 AM
SuperMariosBro

I'm so confused with this fob stuff. i thought you put key in and it works like every other car I had and that's how this car been working. How can it just choose not to accept the key i don't get it.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:29 AM
icer5160

Received 433 Likes on 328 Posts

Yep, that key you got is an emergency key which slots & locks into the remote and was never intended for daily use. Your car requires the silly remote for "keyless" startup. I really don't like these push button start/wireless ignition systems manufacturers are putting in for precisely this type of scenario.

Be ready to drop some cash for the dealer to program the new keys/remotes. But of course do try to get in touch with the seller. It sounds like he took advantage of your lack of knowledge, you could have easily used the missing remotes as a negotiating chip since the cost of replacement is not a "trivial" amount.

Good Luck!
-Icer
Old 05-01-2017, 10:56 AM
SuperMariosBro

emergency key??? what it only works a couple times then never again lol? And what is program? i seen how to program the remotes its simple or is it some other program you mean? WTf do i buy a new key switch and key or just a key or what?
Old 05-01-2017, 11:03 AM
SuperMariosBro

I have the dash ripped apart right now to remove the actual elec starter key switch out of the metal key switch by steering wheel. When i twist that plastic switch it will start or will it not?
Old 05-01-2017, 12:42 PM
rllynch1

I'm going to ask a very dumb, obvious question. The car is in park, correct?
Old 05-01-2017, 01:08 PM
SuperMariosBro

Originally Posted by rllynch1
I'm going to ask a very dumb, obvious question. The car is in park, correct?
Yes and i unlocked the shifter just to make sure. I think the key would be stuck in the switch if it were not in park? idk . Everyone is saying fob stuff to me im confused with this fob stuff.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:59 PM
dcains

Received 435 Likes on 342 Posts

Are you getting that needing the key fob is a security measure, to prevent your car from being stolen? Taking apart the dash isn't going to help you. Bite the bullet, buy a fob, and find a dealer to program it for you.
Old 05-01-2017, 02:01 PM
i8acobra

Watch this... This video is a newer Infiniti with a push button starter, but yours works the same. Normally, you just sit in the car, the car knows the remote is in your pocket and unlocks the ignition cylinder. You can then twist it to start the car without inserting a key.

Old 05-01-2017, 02:17 PM
i8acobra

Originally Posted by PerfZ
^^^^^On a 2006???? You sure about that?
Yes. Infiniti starting using I-Key before Nissan. The '06 auto-equipped G35's were the first cars to get it.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:16 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

O.k. Ill let you know what I would do...

Put key in ignition.
Tap on end of key with hammer lightly
Try to turn
No turn tap end of key little harder...
Try to turn
Repeat process untill it turns.

My guess is your tumblers are messed up and not falling into the key grooves.

Let us know if that works.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:36 PM
icer5160

Received 433 Likes on 328 Posts

Originally Posted by SuperMariosBro
emergency key??? what it only works a couple times then never again lol? And what is program? i seen how to program the remotes its simple or is it some other program you mean? WTf do i buy a new key switch and key or just a key or what?
Your ignition system uses a wireless type of system to broadcast and receive a unique identifier code from the key to the computer. This is an added security measure that goes beyond the simple keyless entry characteristics. In order for you to start the engine, the key must be programmed to work with the vehicle's unique ignition system, which can typically only be done by dealerships for anti-theft purposes. Otherwise, tech savvy thieves could simply scan wireless transmissions, clone vehicle remotes, and steal cars without any suspicion.

Here's a snippet straight from Nissan Global:

"Technology Configuration
Intelligent Key utilizes antennae that transmit signals between the car and the key, and a tuner that receives the signals. Pressing the Request Switch transmits a signal from the car antenna, and the key that receives the signal then automatically returns a signal. The car tuner receives this signal and then locks or unlocks the vehicle.

Similarly, for starting the engine, the ignition **** is turned or the engine start switch is pressed and the car transmits a signal, which is then received and returned by the key, and the engine activates. The signal transmitted by the car is tuned to reach an area one meter around the Request Switch, or when inside the car, only inside the cabin or trunk, so that only the person with the key in range can engage it.

The technology in the Intelligent Key is characterized by its detection range accuracy for measuring keys. This accuracy is supported by technology that controls signal output with high accuracy and measuring technology that accurately detects key location. Further, the signal transmitted by the key contains an individual recognition code, and that code is registered to the car in advance. For this reason, when signals are received from unregistered keys and so on, the system does not respond."