Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I think I got scammed

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 02:42 PM
Lokahi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I got scammed

I recently bought a 2004 Nissan 350Z. The car is Salvage rebuilt title ( I know I'm an idiot for buying it with that... I was excited to get the car). When I asked the guy what happened he said it was hit from the front right side if your looking at the car from the front. The bumper didn't look very secure but other than that the car seemed fine. Well I recently took it to a mechanic to change out my radiator fans. He showed my that my cars frame is shifted to the left, and that I've got a bunch of screws missing in my hood and some of it is only being held together with tie wire. He and Nissan told me there's no way my car earned a rebuilt legally. What do I do???
Old 12-09-2017, 03:14 PM
dj lizard

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

legally if you have a legally binding bill of sale stating the condition at the time of sale without the statement "sold as is/ sold as seen" is mentioned in the contract, you can clearly take that person to court for breaching the contract that's with the respect to the cool off period. Now every state is different and every country is different. but this should apply everywhere. As for the car. If your suspension pick up point are not severely damaged to the point that the car does not drive straight. I don't see this as a complete waste off money, stupid choice maybe.... make sure you document everything. and take photos!!! plenty of them!!! take some photos of where the damage is on the frame and make sure the photo is dated. this is just incase you have some sort of legal ground to where you can be either refunded or issued a settlement.
good luck,
The following users liked this post:
dikspiel (12-22-2017)
Old 12-10-2017, 05:33 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

I disagree....if he knowingly bought a salvage title car from a private party, it is going to be as is

almost guarantee he didnt get anything in writing, and his fault for not getting it inspected prior
Old 12-10-2017, 09:53 AM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Live and you learn. If you know what you're doing there is nothing wrong with a salvaged title.

My salvage was rebuilt by 100% OEM parts aside from the head lights and I didn't take short cuts. Either fix it your self, or sell it and take a fat loss. But I would get use to it so you know what the car has and what is messed up and what is right so if you buy another at least you will be semi familiar on this car to save your self from getting screwed again.

I personally always bring another car savvy friend just to give me that second opinion if I am overly excited they are there if they have any doubt I walk away and come back another day.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:54 AM
Lokahi

Originally Posted by CK_32
Live and you learn. If you know what you're doing there is nothing wrong with a salvaged title.

My salvage was rebuilt by 100% OEM parts aside from the head lights and I didn't take short cuts. Either fix it your self, or sell it and take a fat loss. But I would get use to it so you know what the car has and what is messed up and what is right so if you buy another at least you will be semi familiar on this car to save your self from getting screwed again.

I personally always bring another car savvy friend just to give me that second opinion if I am overly excited they are there if they have any doubt I walk away and come back another day.
Thanks for the opinions yeah I did knowingly buy a salvage rebuilt title. I brought a mechanic along with me but he didn't notice anything so it didn't raise any red flags. My only concern is if my car didn't really earn the rebuilt part of it's title, and if that's the case then my lawyer is recommending I take him to court. Who should I go to to check my car and see if it really did earn it's rebuilt title?
Old 12-10-2017, 12:51 PM
travlee
Master

Received 9,047 Likes on 6,513 Posts

How much did you buy that $2500 car for?
Old 12-10-2017, 01:38 PM
CK_32

Received 366 Likes on 315 Posts

Rebuilt doesn't really mean anything.

I tried to get a rebuilt title for my Z to change it from salvaged and the DMV told me not to bother. It doesn't mean anything.

Now weather it past it's inspection test. That's a different story. My car passed and it still holds a salvaged title.

But if you want to try and chase him in small claims go for it. You're time your money.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:49 PM
Lokahi

Originally Posted by travlee
How much did you buy that $2500 car for?
I bought it for $6k. It's 2004 with 58k miles on it. Very stupid decision I'm aware of that. I just was over zealous to get a Z and didn't do enough investigating. I at least know a little more on what to do before buying a car now. Too bad I learned the way
Old 12-10-2017, 04:20 PM
Cheese203231

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lokahi
I bought it for $6k. It's 2004 with 58k miles on it. Very stupid decision I'm aware of that. I just was over zealous to get a Z and didn't do enough investigating. I at least know a little more on what to do before buying a car now. Too bad I learned the way
Usually those are things to look out for. Making sure the wheel wells are intact, window motors are fully functional, under tray is there, and if theres anything that has been replaced a proper and logical explanation as to why. It happens though.
Old 12-12-2017, 07:58 AM
djnekkon

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

You have no friends? Dude...dont do that again.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:10 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 442 Likes on 358 Posts

I had a car hit so hard it bent the front horn so much it was pushed into the power steering pump pulley(about 4 inches) I bent it back with a chain and another car with repeated pulls and it was driven by my friend for a couple years before he junked it.

As long as it's not bent where the suspension mounts then honestly it's not a big deal if it aligns correctly, but 6k for that car is a lot. . . maybe it's the Hawaii prices though. Around here that would be like 3k

As for inspection to get a rebuilt title. Here is MA all they do is verify the parts you purchased were purchased legally to fix the car and they do a(I would assume) just an exterior visual by the state police. You can't really fake that, but you could definitely do shoddy work and still pass.
Old 12-12-2017, 02:59 PM
tmdz

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Wow - $6k for a frame damaged car???

Talk about a kick to the giggleberries...
Old 12-22-2017, 12:54 PM
creativename

I have been seeing lots of hate on salvage title cars recently. I think they are completely fine to own if they are rebuilt CORRECTLY. I've owned plenty of them and they lasted a long time. That seller is a huge dirtbag though. He sold an unsafe car. It's not unheard of here in MO either. All it takes to get a rebuilt title is take it to the highway patrol. As long as the car is put together and you can prove the parts used were not stolen, it's good. Only way I could see a car fail is if the structural damage is in plain sight.