Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Tuning Options

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2018, 01:23 PM
Haymore1965

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuning Options

So tuning, I don’t know jack squat about it. I mean I get the gist of it but overall not really. So I’ve got some questions about it.

What does it do?
What do I need to install one?
What is a good company/tuner that isn’t to expensive?
Are there different types of tunes?
Any other information would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2018, 02:06 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

in a nutshell ...

a tune will optimize your engine & modifications for your specific environment

different kinds of tunes will require different hardware - generally speaking a reflash will reprogram the OEM ecu and there is no hardware to buy (maybe a cable to connect to the car??). Piggyback tunes add a physical computer type box that (literally and figuratively) attached to the OEM ECU. A standalone replaces all-together the OEM ecu.

Look into Uprev (reflash), Haltech(piggy back & stand alone) and Link (piggy back and standalone)...those are the major players in our world.
I don't like the greddy Emanage, UTEC is alright, avoid any 'chip' type plug-ins. Uprevs, haltech, Link ... choose one from that list. Likely for you, Uprev is your best bet.

Many different types of tunes based on what you did to the car and what you use the car for...but mostly optimizes your setup.

too much information out there for a single thread ... research what others have done, find someone who has a build like yours and mimic what they did (don't reinvent any wheels)...

I really learned quite a bit about tuning and my haltech with High Performance Academy - heres a free set of tuning basics ... check it out

https://www.hpacademy.com/courses/ba...g-fuel-tuning/

Last edited by bealljk; 05-08-2018 at 02:24 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bealljk:
BigBlue (05-08-2018), MicVelo (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 04:10 PM
Haymore1965

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bealljk
in a nutshell ...

a tune will optimize your engine & modifications for your specific environment

different kinds of tunes will require different hardware - generally speaking a reflash will reprogram the OEM ecu and there is no hardware to buy (maybe a cable to connect to the car??). Piggyback tunes add a physical computer type box that (literally and figuratively) attached to the OEM ECU. A standalone replaces all-together the OEM ecu.

Look into Uprev (reflash), Haltech(piggy back & stand alone) and Link (piggy back and standalone)...those are the major players in our world.
I don't like the greddy Emanage, UTEC is alright, avoid any 'chip' type plug-ins. Uprevs, haltech, Link ... choose one from that list. Likely for you, Uprev is your best bet.

Many different types of tunes based on what you did to the car and what you use the car for...but mostly optimizes your setup.

too much information out there for a single thread ... research what others have done, find someone who has a build like yours and mimic what they did (don't reinvent any wheels)...

I really learned quite a bit about tuning and my haltech with High Performance Academy - heres a free set of tuning basics ... check it out

https://www.hpacademy.com/courses/ba...g-fuel-tuning/
thanm you for this. I’ll look into it. Now for stock would it help anything?
Old 05-08-2018, 05:51 PM
boamedt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it will help some, yes
Old 05-08-2018, 06:21 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,253 Likes on 2,314 Posts

One of the things I've found with any type of aftermarket tuning is the software is only as good as the person tuning it. What I mean by this is that it helps tremendously to actually have the car on dyno (hence "dyno tune") and any changes can be monitored and tailored to an exact spec and power level. Shops that do this kind of work charge anywhere from ~$600-1000 depending on what else has been done to the car.

That said however, anyone can learn to use the tools; not terribly difficult but again, without anything but seat of pants to base changes on, not quite an exacting science.

Most mentioned here on forum - as was already mentioned above - Uprev and Haltech with a smattering of others here and there. I only mention it again to add credence.

Honestly, while it can help some in stock configuration, it's best when used with deep breathing modifications (in/out, exhaust/intake, FI, cams, etc.)
The following users liked this post:
BigBlue (05-08-2018)
Old 05-08-2018, 06:49 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,282 Likes on 1,007 Posts

Originally Posted by MicVelo
aftermarket tuning is the software is only as good as the person tuning it.
and does your tuner have your best interest at heart? Is he tuning it as if it were his own car? a dishonest (but still very competent) tuner may push your engine too hard and fiddle with your ignition timing in a manner that'll jeopardize the longevity of the engine.

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Honestly, while it can help some in stock configuration, it's best when used with deep breathing modifications (in/out, exhaust/intake, FI, cams, etc.)
and this ...

consider cost too ... uprev will be your most economical at/around $700. With $2000 worth of intake/exhaust mods you'll pickup 30hp after your tune. Is 30hp worth $2700??

haltech is probably in the $1000 to $3500 range and Link is (I think) $1500 to $4000 ...

Just keep you eyes and ears on peoples threads and see what theyre doing with their setup...

Alot of people are using Uprev on NA and FI builds, a few using haltech on FI builds and I know of only one person using Link (on this forum).

Did you watch those videos?

Last edited by bealljk; 05-08-2018 at 06:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bealljk:
BigBlue (05-09-2018), MicVelo (05-08-2018)
Old 05-09-2018, 06:08 AM
seymore4
Professional

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

For an NA tune the only place you should look is Uprev.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:25 AM
WYZIWYG

Received 203 Likes on 150 Posts

Interesting what you learn if you hang on to your car long enough. I always thought tunes were only useful after you began doing basic engine mods? [exhaust, CAI, headers, etc...]
Old 05-09-2018, 09:08 AM
seymore4
Professional

Received 69 Likes on 57 Posts

Even a completely stock car will benefit from a tune. The only people who will tell you it doesn't have no personal experience with it.
The following users liked this post:
BluestreamDE (05-09-2018)