Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Ultimately frustrating SRS clips !

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2018, 11:39 AM
kauai1800

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Help! Ultimately frustrating SRS clips !

Aloha guys

Can someone teach me the magical secrets needed to unclip the passenger side airbag connector? The yellow clip has not obvious “thing to push down” that unlatches it. I mean I’m sure it DOES, it’s just I haven’t leveled up enough to know the special spell that is required.

So what do you press/push/pry to get this thing off? I’d prefer not to cut it off.
Thanks in advance !
Old 12-27-2018, 12:41 PM
kauai1800

Here’s pictures that show the clip you can’t see easily when it’s located under the seat.

Nonetheless I haven’t been able to get rid of my airbag light :-(
I tried wiring in a 2.2 ohm resistor which was the suggested fix but it didn’t work for me. I also did a ecu reset each time. So... maybe there’s another problem? The connection under the driver seat looks good.
Wish my problem was solved as simply as others have been....grrrr.

Last edited by kauai1800; 12-27-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-31-2018, 07:15 AM
munkeymike

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you sure the blink codes are for the passenger air bag?
Old 01-01-2019, 01:41 PM
kauai1800

Originally Posted by munkeymike
Are you sure the blink codes are for the passenger air bag?
Unfortunately I don’t have a blinking light- just on all the time. So I don’t have any codes to check. I tried a bunch of things including disconnecting both plugs on passenger side- wiring in the 2.2 ohm resistor-even just shorting out the wires and nothing changes. The driver side looks OK but at this point it’s suspect too.
I have a leaky washer tank (so a light on the dash) and this airbag light- both have been on since I got the car and I wanted so badly to just fix both these things. Doesn’t look like it’s gonna happen. (New washer tank is $200 delivered to Hawaii).

Old 01-02-2019, 05:25 PM
icer5160

Received 399 Likes on 300 Posts

I'm not super familiar with the passenger side clip, but if it's like the steering wheel airbag unit, you need to pry the locking latch UP first.

Steering Wheel Airbag connectors.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:49 PM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

Just use some epoxy and glue your reservoir. Stuff is amazing... As for the passenger air bag if I remember correctly it was just a normal harness. I've removed a few and never had any issues.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:00 PM
kauai1800

Originally Posted by dboyzalter
Just use some epoxy and glue your reservoir. Stuff is amazing... As for the passenger air bag if I remember correctly it was just a normal harness. I've removed a few and never had any issues.
Aloha and thanks for the reply.

I’ve tried all kinds of epoxy, silicone and flex seal type stuff from the outside but none of them have worked. I have looked but I can’t see any actual damage to the tank, but I can see where it starts to drip out and that’s what I’ve tried repeatedly to seal up. I could probably remove the tank but (as is usually the case here on Kauai) the bolts have turned to round rust *****.

But maybe you meant something else? I have considered pouring very thin and small amount of epoxy into the tank because at this point why not? That’s probably next.

And it’s the passenger seat side impact airbag that I thought was the problem because it’s out of its casing - but I don’t think it deployed. Or perhaps I don’t understand what you are saying?
Cheers!

Last edited by kauai1800; 01-02-2019 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-03-2019, 02:46 AM
karlt

Received 56 Likes on 48 Posts

kauai1800,

A steady air bag light means that either an air bag has been deployed or a seat belt pre-tensioner has been activated. If the light has been on since you bought the car, you need to get with the previous owner and find out what happened. You could be driving with no air bag.

You can get detailed information on the air bag system in the factory Service Manual, available here:
https://nicoclub.com/archives/nissan...e-manuals.html.
You want the srs.pdf section for your problem.
Old 01-03-2019, 07:21 AM
dboyzalter
6 inch cawk is my fave!

Received 972 Likes on 759 Posts

I thought you were talking about the passenger side air bag thats behind the dash. The seat air bags are not going to come out gracefully, my guess is you will end up destroying the seat and the air bag if you attempt to remove it.

If it is the seats I would go the 2.2 ohm resistor method, but it might just be the under the seat connection that has come loose if of light is flashing.

Post a picture of your side air bag, if it looks funny it has probably deployed, and if thats the case the computer that controls that system might be part of your problem.

As for the reservoir you would need to find the leak in order to patch it... Something like gorilla epoxy should do the trick, but even fiberglass resin and a few strips of fiberglass would work.
Old 01-03-2019, 03:28 PM
icer5160

Received 399 Likes on 300 Posts

Marine Epoxy would/should seal up any crack in the washer reservoir. However if the leak is around the wiper pump motor seal, I would try to clean it up and refresh it with some silicone spray lubricant. If the seal is totally wasted, then ordering a new pump motor might be a better option as I believe they include a new seal. (Note: There's a good chance Nissan only sells the reservoir and pumps together as one unit) Don't pour epoxy/sealer inside the tank, you will just clog up the pump motors. You really need to pull the tank to get a clearer picture of what's happening. Penetrating oil or "Metal Rescue" might be in order to help clean up the rust. There's plenty of tricks you can use to extract the rusted fasteners even with the heads rounded off.

Any chance you could post some pictures of the rusted fasteners for the tank? Sorry to hear about the troubles. I think I recall you posting some pictures of the damaged seat/side airbag prior to purchasing the vehicle. You're right, it didn't look like it deployed, it just looked like somehow, someone ripped it free of the seat fabric/stitching. There's probably some kind of trip sensor bundled with the airbag that's causing your light to come on. If the side airbag smells like spent gunpowder though, it most likely was deployed. That smell is very distinct, similar to used fireworks or shooting a firearm.
Good Luck!
-Icer
Old 01-26-2019, 07:29 PM
kauai1800

Thanks for all the encouraging ideas guys. I’ll get in there soon and use the pb blaster or something to get the fasteners undone. There is an element of laziness in all this lol!
Old 03-29-2019, 05:56 PM
Dec Radius

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 G35 with B1134 SRS issue

Relocated

Last edited by Dec Radius; 03-30-2019 at 04:21 AM. Reason: Relocation