2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

New brake disks??

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2019, 10:10 AM
decrobinson1999

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New brake disks??

Hi everyone

I have a gt model 350 with the gold brembo's, just found out I have a warped disk (not completely undriveable for now), was just wondering what are the best rotors to go for, would prefer them to be drilled or grooved or a combination as I would like to reduce the heat build up and hopefully prevent this in future, I plan on hopefully ordering them in the next day or so, just thought I'd ask before I go ahead with it as I have found some RTS performance ones for £150, and the brembos are £250 so just a bit unsure

TIA

Last edited by decrobinson1999; 10-02-2019 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-02-2019, 10:48 AM
masterjr33

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

define "best rotor" what benefit are you seeking?

Why do you want them drilled?

"as I would like to reduce the heat build" are you under the impression that drilling a rotor makes it less hot?
Old 10-02-2019, 11:05 AM
decrobinson1999

Originally Posted by masterjr33
define "best rotor" what benefit are you seeking?

Why do you want them drilled?

"as I would like to reduce the heat build" are you under the impression that drilling a rotor makes it less hot?
I want something that's going to be good for daily driving with some track use, not overpriced but good quality.

And I'd rather have either drilled or grooved to help prevent build up of the gasses, some heat and dust as well being lighter
Old 10-02-2019, 11:40 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,127 Likes on 6,580 Posts

i wouldnt get drilled or slotted, just due to the fact that almost nobody will turn them.

i had my eye on adams rotors for a while just because they have so many drilled /slotted options, you cant go wrong with stoptech though

**edit, being where you live might limit your options, shipping would be expensive

Last edited by travlee; 10-02-2019 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:48 AM
decrobinson1999

Originally Posted by travlee
i wouldnt get drilled or slotted, just due to the fact that almost nobody will turn them.

i had my eye on adams rotors for a while just because they have so many drilled /slotted options, you cant go wrong with stoptech though

**edit, being where you live might limit your options, shipping would be expensive
What do you mean nobody with turn them?

And I have seen some stop tech ones for around £225, unsure if anyomes heard of the RTS ones but they seem pretty good value?
Old 10-02-2019, 11:57 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 452 Likes on 367 Posts

Cheapest ebay rotor will do with cheapest semi-metallic pads from local parts store.
Old 10-02-2019, 11:59 AM
masterjr33

I want something that's going to be good for daily driving with some track use, not overpriced but good quality.

Napa has some great stock blank rotors with life time warranties and i use them on my track car.
They are not over priced. and are great quality.

And I'd rather have either drilled or grooved to help prevent build up of the gasses, some heat and dust as well being lighter.

you dont want drilled. Those are crack city.
street pads for 99% of the time are not going to off gas.
don't imagine some scenario where there is alot of "gas" trapped on your brake system. its a great tag line and its convinced thousands of people to spend an extra $100 on rotors.

You want heavier rotors to absorb more heat for better braking.. have you noticed higher performance vehicles have LARGER brakes and not smaller?
Brakes turn movement into heat. a rotor that weights 1 lb and a rotor that weighs 5 lbs.. the 5lb rotor will do its job better. there is no "heat" benefit with drilling or milling.
you can notice the trend of drilled rotors being moved away from in formula 1 and GT cars. and nascar... they were wrong. and it turns them in to cracksville.
also on a street car noone is going to turn them for you. if you look at the newer performance cars they are moving away from the drilling and slotted.

If you just want the "look" of drilled or slotted.. be honest. and say you want the "look". dont pass it off as a performance benefit on a street car.
save yourself some money and grab any brand name rotor you can find.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:08 PM
decrobinson1999

Napa has some great stock blank rotors with life time warranties and i use them on my track car.
They are not over priced. and are great quality.

And I'd rather have either drilled or grooved to help prevent build up of the gasses, some heat and dust as well being lighter.

you dont want drilled. Those are crack city.
street pads for 99% of the time are not going to off gas.
don't imagine some scenario where there is alot of "gas" trapped on your brake system. its a great tag line and its convinced thousands of people to spend an extra $100 on rotors.

You want heavier rotors to absorb more heat for better braking.. have you noticed higher performance vehicles have LARGER brakes and not smaller?
Brakes turn movement into heat. a rotor that weights 1 lb and a rotor that weighs 5 lbs.. the 5lb rotor will do its job better. there is no "heat" benefit with drilling or milling.
you can notice the trend of drilled rotors being moved away from in formula 1 and GT cars. and nascar... they were wrong. and it turns them in to cracksville.
also on a street car noone is going to turn them for you. if you look at the newer performance cars they are moving away from the drilling and slotted.

If you just want the "look" of drilled or slotted.. be honest. and say you want the "look". dont pass it off as a performance benefit on a street car.
save yourself some money and grab any brand name rotor you can find.
I always thought they had an actual effect, so would you suggest to just go with the cheapest? I'm not too bothered about the look, the gold brembo calipers are enough for me
The following users liked this post:
masterjr33 (10-02-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 12:33 PM
masterjr33

cheapest. no. brand name at least.
AC delco.
Centric.
Raybestos
bendix .
wagnor.
bosch.

i would avoid chinesium ebay crap. but a brand name is okay. and will have some quality control
Old 10-02-2019, 12:36 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,288 Likes on 2,339 Posts

High carbon blanks. No slots, no holes, just blanks.

Better heat dissipation than standard iron, less to no distortion/warping, quiet.

FTR, I currently have StopTech (made by Centric) high carbon slotted. Pretty sure there's no difference in performance over blanks one way or other for how I use them (no track use). They were just priced right when I got them. Pads make a bigger difference in stopping power.
The following 2 users liked this post by MicVelo:
bad boyz (10-04-2019), masterjr33 (10-02-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 12:37 PM
decrobinson1999

cheapest. no. brand name at least.
AC delco.
Centric.
Raybestos
bendix .
wagnor.
bosch.

i would avoid chinesium ebay crap. but a brand name is okay. and will have some quality control
So any from horsham developments/torqen/tarmac sports should be fine? I'm not sure where you're from but they seems to only sell named brands
Old 10-02-2019, 12:43 PM
decrobinson1999

Originally Posted by MicVelo
High carbon blanks. No slots, no holes, just blanks.

Better heat dissipation than standard iron, less to no distortion/warping, quiet.

FTR, I currently have StopTech (made by Centric) high carbon slotted. Pretty sure there's no difference in performance over blanks one way or other for how I use them (no track use). They were just priced right when I got them. Pads make a bigger difference in stopping power.
So as long as they're high carbon it doesn't really matter?
Old 10-02-2019, 01:59 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

Consider Centric High-carbon rotors for the best value. Check to see if rockauto.com ships to your area. They have the best pricing I've seen lately.
The following users liked this post:
masterjr33 (10-03-2019)
Old 10-02-2019, 02:34 PM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts

I have EBC slotted rotors and EBC red pads. I have had no problems with them so far. Not bank breaking, but not cheap. Few hundred for 4 rotors. I'll throw up pics later.

I wouldn't go with drilled. They tend to crack under excessive, hard use.
Old 10-02-2019, 03:47 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,288 Likes on 2,339 Posts

Originally Posted by decrobinson1999
So as long as they're high carbon it doesn't really matter?
Probably. Can't say for sure. But as was mentioned here by another, if it's high carbon AND name brand, probably fine.

Now that I think about it... Heck, I put a set of pads/rotors from R1 Concepts (I seem to recall) purchased on EBay on the ZR I sold to a friend and there's been NO issues. But for my usage (hills runs and general use), I just preferred to have the high carbon with Carbotech Bobcats. Great feel, great stopping power in every condition from wet/dry and threshold/late braking.
Old 10-03-2019, 09:38 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,097 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by 813_350Z
I have EBC slotted rotors and EBC red pads. I have had no problems with them so far. Not bank breaking, but not cheap. Few hundred for 4 rotors. I'll throw up pics later.

I wouldn't go with drilled. They tend to crack under excessive, hard use.
I think we might have the same setup. Here's a pic of mine during install. No issues here either. I think EBC is a UK company so you should not have a problem finding them.

Old 10-04-2019, 08:36 PM
bad boyz

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Yep! Soptech is definitely the way to go!