Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Is the stock VLSD really THAT bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2019, 06:39 AM
Bmsluite

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Is the stock VLSD really THAT bad?

Is the stock VLSD really useless? Has to be better than open right? Do they really wear out quickly and turn to open?

I ask all of this as I'm currently in the market for a used 350Z and my mind subconsciously disregards base models. I really only want an enthusiast model for the VLSD and traction control. Though in my BMW I had a helical diff and always turned traction off (but left on stability control).

If the VLSD really is that bad I'm thinking of just saving a bit in initial purchase price by getting a base then dropping in an aftermarket LSD. Is dropping in a new LSD unit a pop it in and go type of deal or does it require shimming (with the BMW you just swapped it with the open unit and yiu were good to go).
Old 10-12-2019, 08:27 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,125 Likes on 6,578 Posts

Yes it sucks

Get a quaife and love life

/thread
Old 10-12-2019, 09:06 AM
Bmsluite

I have noticed a lot people put the helical type on their cars. It was about split with the BMW guys between helical and clutch type. I thought with the 350Z enthusiasts would be more geared toward the more performance oriented clutch LSDs.

Do the clutch type not work well with these vehicles?
Old 10-12-2019, 09:34 AM
qreshadow

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, an OEM LSD is the pits especially if you autox or track your Z. The Quaife(British) or a Wavetrack(USA) LSDs are gear driven. NOTE: sometime parts for a Quaife are hard to get from across the pond, so if you decide on a gear driven LSD, that might enter into a decision :--). Quaife or Wavetrack LSDs do not require adjustments or periodic maintenance. Clutch types may require some adjustments after awhile of hard use.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:38 AM
NiLL

Received 47 Likes on 31 Posts

Clutch types are noisy, can be jolting, More expensive, and require maintenance. A Helical type is a set and forget and worlds better than the VSLD. Im personally planning on going to a wave track so i get some benefit of preload and a bit less of the negatives of that style of LSD.
Old 10-12-2019, 01:46 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Z1 just produced their own LSD that is supposed to be better than the quafe/wavetrack for less money. Might be worth looking into. Fluid temps are supposed to be much lower as well.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:02 PM
260DET

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Depends on the application. For general use a helical type is ideal, for serious road course use a clutch type is the best. Autocross? Don't know.
Old 10-12-2019, 02:13 PM
Bmsluite

I have used all kinds. I have never used a VLSD which is why I asked. For you guys saying the helical is better than the clutch type having never had either.... you're wrong. Clutch type is far superior in terms of performance. Helicals are unpredictable since they are constantly send torque back and forth between the wheels. If you are planning any type of tail out fun you will quickly learn that the helical was a mistake.

As for clutch being clunky...thats why I asked if it was specific to this vehicle as I have never had a jolty unpredictable clutch type. They are super predictable and you know when it is going to lock. They chatter sometimes but that's the only issue I've ever had with them
Old 10-12-2019, 04:11 PM
travlee
Master

Originally Posted by Bmsluite
I have used all kinds. I have never used a VLSD which is why I asked. For you guys saying the helical is better than the clutch type having never had either.... you're wrong. Clutch type is far superior in terms of performance. Helicals are unpredictable since they are constantly send torque back and forth between the wheels. If you are planning any type of tail out fun you will quickly learn that the helical was a mistake.

As for clutch being clunky...thats why I asked if it was specific to this vehicle as I have never had a jolty unpredictable clutch type. They are super predictable and you know when it is going to lock. They chatter sometimes but that's the only issue I've ever had with them
If you know it all, then what was the point in this post? This car has been out forever anything you could want to know about it is covered on here.
The following users liked this post:
qreshadow (10-12-2019)
Old 10-12-2019, 04:51 PM
Bmsluite

I don't know it all. That's why I asked. I don't know about the VLSD. So I asked. I don't know if there is some kind of design challenge disallowing clutch types to function on these cars. So I asked.

What I didn't ask for isr people who haven't had any experience with LSDs in general commenting on the differences when they haven't ever had any except the VLSD. Makes no sense to comment when you haven't purchased and tried out a different kind yet
Old 10-12-2019, 11:18 PM
260DET

My track 350Z has a CUSCO clutch type which is good, OS Giken is probably better.. Plenty of experience with helical LSD's in other Nissans, no serious track car uses a VLSD.

To get back to your original question the CUSCO replaced a VLSD and fitted perfectly but, as above, OS Giken is the gun.

Last edited by 260DET; 10-12-2019 at 11:25 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 11:30 PM
260DET

Interesting comment about helicals, I have tracked a Nissan with a helical and have a feeling that they can let go suddenly. Nothing definate but ....
Old 10-13-2019, 03:41 AM
travlee
Master

I don't know it all. That's why I asked. I don't know about the VLSD. So I asked. I don't know if there is some kind of design challenge disallowing clutch types to function on these cars. So I asked.

What I didn't ask for isr people who haven't had any experience with LSDs in general commenting on the differences when they haven't ever had any except the VLSD. Makes no sense to comment when you haven't purchased and tried out a different kind yet
I had the quaife, so yeah I did purchase one
Old 10-13-2019, 10:28 PM
SilverGLE

Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by qreshadow
Yes, an OEM LSD is the pits especially if you autox or track your Z. The Quaife(British) or a Wavetrack(USA) LSDs are gear driven. NOTE: sometime parts for a Quaife are hard to get from across the pond, so if you decide on a gear driven LSD, that might enter into a decision :--). Quaife or Wavetrack LSDs do not require adjustments or periodic maintenance. Clutch types may require some adjustments after awhile of hard use.
Another key point to consider is that a Quaife acts like an open diff if one wheel leaves the ground, since it's a torsen-type diff.

Originally Posted by 260DET
Depends on the application. For general use a helical type is ideal, for serious road course use a clutch type is the best. Autocross? Don't know.
Autocross secret sauce is the OS Giken with custom settings from one of their employees. I have an OSG and love it for AX. Only driven in two time trials events on a road course, so can't comment too much, there.

Also, the OSG does have a bit of gear whine, but honestly it's barely louder than a stock VLSD. Sure, you need to change the fluid, but unless you're racing the car every 2 years should be fine. I do annual for mine, since I AX it 10+ events per year.

Unless OP is seriously trying to be competitive, a Quaife would be fine. Else I'd suggest a clutch type diff.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:34 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 452 Likes on 367 Posts

My stock vsld works pretty nasty. Maybe it's not stock?, but when I bought it there was no advertisement of having an aftermarket unit in there.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:48 AM
nonutz

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default I don't think so

I currently have a vlsd when I do burn outs or drag race my marks are even on both sides and mine has not worn out at 150k miles iv drifted and everything..... Now some might chime in and say different but I'd say go for it it's way better than open or spending another 1200 for a lsd that clicks and makes a bunch of noise.
Old 10-16-2019, 03:56 PM
Spike100

Received 203 Likes on 173 Posts

My stock VLDS works well on the street..
Old 10-17-2019, 07:46 AM
Ryan102499

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My experience

My 350z has 110,000 on it. With the stock lsd and a stage 3 clutch. It still works 100% as it should. I’ve heard of people’s going to **** but I’ve never had problems with mine. (I’m also running Nitto 555r drag radials)