Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Need new fenders, CAPA worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2019, 08:02 PM
greenbell20

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new fenders, CAPA worth it?

Hey guys, I'm looking at a new pair of fenders because the previous owner rolled his. Is it worth getting CAPA certified fenders, or does the fitment on the cheaper ones, such as these; https://www.carparts.com/details/Nis...T-N220121.html
match oem? I've tried getting OEM ones, but the yards near me all have rusted fenders/ are just as much as the CAPA ones with flaws. If anyone has any experience with either CAPA certified fenders or these economy fenders, please let me know. Thanks a lot!!
Old 11-27-2019, 08:20 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

Used to work at a body shop and found most CAPA products find ok, many fenders might need the bolt holes enlarged just a hair in order to adjust properly. So test fit before painting.
Honestly if there is nothing wrong with the fenders you have, rolling the fenders should not have hurt them other than cracked paint. Could just have your fenders refinished.

Last edited by rustyschopshop; 11-27-2019 at 08:21 PM.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:33 PM
greenbell20

Originally Posted by rustyschopshop
Used to work at a body shop and found most CAPA products find ok, many fenders might need the bolt holes enlarged just a hair in order to adjust properly. So test fit before painting.
Honestly if there is nothing wrong with the fenders you have, rolling the fenders should not have hurt them other than cracked paint. Could just have your fenders refinished.
Thanks for the input man. I'm actually repainting my car myself, and even though I did a lot of dent repair on the fenders I have, the edges are flared out too much to line up with my kbd bumper, even with stretching and heating. I would refinish the edges of the bumper, but it's polyurethane and I'm not familiar with a filler that would adequately hold to refinish the edges. Thanks for the suggestion though!
Old 11-27-2019, 08:37 PM
rustyschopshop

Sounds like they did alot more than just a basic roll, more than likely just easier and cheaper to replace. Capa should be fine, just inspect before you take delivery. Many come damaged. I used to get labor claims from one of the companies for my techs to repair panels that came damaged to save time.
Old 11-27-2019, 08:44 PM
greenbell20

Originally Posted by rustyschopshop
Sounds like they did alot more than just a basic roll, more than likely just easier and cheaper to replace. Capa should be fine, just inspect before you take delivery. Many come damaged. I used to get labor claims from one of the companies for my techs to repair panels that came damaged to save time.
do you have any experience with non capa certified parts?
Old 11-27-2019, 09:03 PM
rustyschopshop

Very little, nearly everything the shop handled was insurance claims and ins companies didn't want issues so capa certification was a must if they didn't use OEM or used oem. Used was not allowed if not OEM. There was a few customer pays that brought there own replacements and the ones that were not certified were usually pretty bad. Typically body lines were way off and hard to get them to align.
Old 11-28-2019, 04:46 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,128 Likes on 6,581 Posts

Fronts are rolled from the factory, sounds like they pulled them
Old 11-28-2019, 05:35 AM
Teddygrammin

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm an adjuster and we have to use CAPA parts because they go through the same testing as OEM to ensure they perform in the event of a crash. The quality and fit is a lot better with CAPA parts. I agree with rusty as you might have to tweak it a little bit to make it line up. There's different quality levels of aftermarket parts so I'd look for Keystone if it's available by you. If you're not in a rush, I'd keep a look out on eBay for a set just to keep it OEM but that's just me
Old 11-28-2019, 11:57 AM
AznKaos15

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Teddygrammin
I'm an adjuster and we have to use CAPA parts because they go through the same testing as OEM to ensure they perform in the event of a crash. The quality and fit is a lot better with CAPA parts.
It's Thanksgiving, why do you sound like you are at work trying to calm down a customer demanding OEM parts? Dont you just hate it when you are telling the customer this knowing in the back of your head that the shop will call you back for a supplement because the part didn't fit?

To OP, stick with OEM if you want 100% fitment.
If you have to tweak a part for it to fit, crash worthiness will be compromised.
Keep in mind tho, a fender is not a structural part so fitment is more of a concern.

Last edited by AznKaos15; 11-28-2019 at 08:13 PM.