Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2006 Revup - White smoke, qt of oil every 200 miles

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2020, 12:36 PM
Jwin970

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Revup - White smoke, qt of oil every 200 miles

I’ve been lurking for a while and reading a lot. Every mechanic indicates piston rings and I need a new engine. We have so many bad mechanics around here though. Most of these guys just work on ford and Chevy. I’ve always done every car work on my own to be honest since I’ve always grown up pretty poor... also because they always quote me thousands and I end up fixing it for less than a few hundred. Never been able to afford a new car either so always deal with issues...

This year my fiancé found a steal on a 350z so we purchased it back in October. I get that I made a horrible decision purchasing a car without the proper research. She just wanted it so bad so I told her to just get it and we will figure it out since she has worked so hard all year. So before everyone bashed me... yes I know and I get it...

2006 Revup
worx wheels
bc coilovers
greddy catback single exit (no cat) straight
oil catch can
cai
TurboXS ecu (found it in the trunk) not connected

the seller was a random FB used car flipper so he knows nothing.

can anyone give me some guidance on what to do and how I can tell myself for certain what is wrong with it?

compression test?
leakdown test?

Which one will be most accurate?

symptoms

The oil smells like gas when I changed it

engine smokes white at idle

engine smokes white while driving at lower gears on accel

exhaust tips are black

there’s hardly any oil in the catch can...

dipstick has a small slit and doesn’t seat properly

oil pressure seems good

some days I get lucky and drive to Atlanta and back and only lose 1/4 of a qt... sometimes it’s half a qt... sometimes I’ll lose half a qt just on a 45 min in town drive...

I’ll swap my plugs out Tom as I’m going to try to do the tests when it’s not raining. What indicators should I be looking for with my spark plugs?

ive done everything under the sun when it comes to a car besides messing with the motor... the closest is like water pumps and timing belts. 2 stroke and 4 stroke rebuilds... I’m clueless when it comes to the motor... and just want to be for certain what it is...

any guidance would be greatful

Last edited by Jwin970; 02-24-2020 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:12 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,297 Likes on 1,021 Posts

You'll want a compression test but both are needed.

if you think you're losing oil via bad rings a compression test is going to be the best solution.

if the engine smokes white that is coolant in the combustion … which is where a leak-down test comes in.

Google spark plug diagnostic testing and compare your plugs to that.

These engines aren't hard to rebuild you just need to be detail oriented and take your time.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:24 PM
Jwin970

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also discovered the dipstick has a slit in it and doesn’t seat properly.

I’m contemplating taking on the project of rebuilding it myself... we have a month of no work, we do construction, carpentry, electric, plumbing, hvac and we can weld... I’ve also swapped a motor out on a GM/Buick

not mechanics by any means but we know our way around tools, troubleshooting and being detailed oriented.

your the first person who’s ever said it’s not too bad, everyone else says don’t do it unless you have a mentor over your shoulders...

Last edited by Jwin970; 02-24-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:31 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Hey man, sorry to hear of your difficulties. I'll simply reply to your questions inline.

Originally Posted by Jwin970
I’ve been lurking for a while and reading a lot. Every mechanic indicates piston rings and I need a new engine. We have so many bad mechanics around here though. Most of these guys just work on ford and Chevy. I’ve always done every car work on my own to be honest since I’ve always grown up pretty poor... also because they always quote me thousands and I end up fixing it for less than a few hundred. Never been able to afford a new car either so always deal with issues...

This year my fiancé found a steal on a 350z so we purchased it back in October. I get that I made a horrible decision purchasing a car without the proper research. She just wanted it so bad so I told her to just get it and we will figure it out since she has worked so hard all year. So before everyone bashed me... yes I know and I get it...
I don't anyone's going to "bash" you unless you like to argue.

2006 Revup
worx wheels
bc coilovers
greddy catback single exit (no cat) straight
oil catch can
cai
TurboXS ecu (found it in the trunk) not connected

the seller was a random FB used car flipper so he knows nothing. You don't need him/her.

can anyone give me some guidance on what to do and how I can tell myself for certain what is wrong with it? Yes, a few simple observations will tell you what's likely wrong.

compression test? Definitely, see if you can borrow a kit from AutoZone etc.
leakdown test? Sure, if you can spend $100 on it.

Which one will be most accurate?

symptoms

The oil smells like gas when I changed it Not good, indicates oil ring wear possibly or other problems.

engine smokes white at idle Not good, typically symptom of rings if oily smelling, possibly head gasket if sweet smelling.

engine smokes white while driving at lower gears on accel " "

exhaust tips are black Not surprised

there’s hardly any oil in the catch can... With these problems it's not surprising if there's low oil volume.

oil pressure seems good

some days I get lucky and drive to Atlanta and back and only lose 1/4 of a qt... sometimes it’s half a qt... sometimes I’ll lose half a qt just on a 45 min in town drive...

I’ll swap my plugs out Tom as I’m going to try to do the tests when it’s not raining. What indicators should I be looking for with my spark plugs? Black, fouled, shiny oily-wet.

ive done everything under the sun when it comes to a car besides messing with the motor... the closest is like water pumps and timing belts. 2 stroke and 4 stroke rebuilds... I’m clueless when it comes to the motor... and just want to be for certain what it is...

any guidance would be greatful
Honestly I think you are in a position to re-evaluate your "relationship" to this car. It sounds like you are spending more on oil than gas every month. You can pull the plugs to see if they are wet, do a compression check both for free. You should NOT presume all the oil is being used up and none is leaking, however-
Professional testing will cost you several hundred dollars. Piston rings, head gaskets and valve jobs are all really expensive repairs you're not equipped to perform. It would not be wise to "borrow" $1000 or up. If you have these tests done and decide to sell the car the buyer will ask about repairs and you'll tell the truth or not. If you don't have the skills or budget for repairs I would sell ASAP while the motor still runs. 02 and GL!

The following users liked this post:
khnitz (02-25-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 12:58 PM
icer5160

Received 442 Likes on 337 Posts

It's either your valve stem seals or piston rings causing the oil consumption. A leak down test and compression test will help verify this. If the smoke is bright white and sweet smelling as jhc mentioned, you could have a blown or leaking head gasket. I have an 06 revup and it burns some oil, but nothing like what you are describing. At this point I would consider getting a used or rebuilt revup longblock, just save yourself the diagnostic trouble and all that entails and go straight for the solution. Rebuilding the existing engine isn't worth it unless you can do the work yourself. A quality machine shop will charge more for parts/labor vs. going to a large volume rebuilder.
Good Luck!
-Icer