Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Getting a new motor because of Oil Consumption

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:29 PM
rickyislaZy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Getting a new motor because of Oil Consumption

So today I brought my 06 in to the dealer for an oil change, while I was there I asked for an oil consumption test.

When I picked up my car, they told me that my car is not burning oil too badly but they are still going to order me a new motor.

My car only has 9000 miles right now, feels like a bit early for a new motor.

Who here has the revised version of the rev-up and what are your thoughts on it?
Old 01-11-2008, 10:34 PM
jOeL350z

i wonder how they do the oil consumption test on the car? Ive got an 06 too but rarely drive the car and the has 5k on them...i cant tell if my car eats oil...i had punch the car numerous times but the oil level stays the same at all times, unless i dont know what im looking for
Old 01-11-2008, 10:41 PM
pooked

i too have oil consumption issues with mine, btw the way you test it is about every 1k take out the oil dipstick and measure it see if its below standards or if it has fallen from last check do it every 1k miles to see differences and remember do not run your car before doing oil check make sure its in the morning while oil has had time to settle down. but like the first poster said i been looking into going to dealer and getting revised version anyone done it yet and what are your thoughts?
Old 01-12-2008, 05:06 AM
Eth

There are lots of people who have gotten the engine swapped. Just search for "oil consumption" or the oil consumption thread.

As far as the V2 engine is concerned, I like it a lot more than the V1 that came with it. I heard that it's pulling less peak HP (~293hp) but has a bit more torque. Whether that's because of the engine, placebo effect of having something new, or having the new method of testing engine power output, I don't honestly know. Also, most people who got their new V2 engines haven't even broken in their engines, so I doubt we'll see any hard and fast dyno numbers until people start putting a few more thousand miles on their Z's.

The only downside is that you might not get an extended warranty for the new engine to grandfather the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty, and resale value is probably going to be lower once you have engine work done, regardless if it was from abuse, negligence, recall, etc. Oh, and you obviously won't be able to drive your Z while it's being repaired, so you'll be stuck with a loaner/rental car for 'x' days/weeks/months while you get that engine swapped out.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:40 AM
Ziggyrama

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pooked
i too have oil consumption issues with mine, btw the way you test it is about every 1k take out the oil dipstick and measure it see if its below standards or if it has fallen from last check do it every 1k miles to see differences and remember do not run your car before doing oil check make sure its in the morning while oil has had time to settle down. but like the first poster said i been looking into going to dealer and getting revised version anyone done it yet and what are your thoughts?
Um, I am pretty sure you're supposed to check your oil level when it's warm after you drive the car and you reached your normal operating condition. Park the car for 10 minutes on a level surface and check the level on the dip stick. 10 minutes is plenty of time for all the oil that will drain back into the oil pan to drain back in there. Every car I ever owned has always had this method of checking. I can't imagine Nissan is any different.....unless the manual says otherwise. I don't recall it saying you're supposed to check it cold.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:48 AM
jOeL350z

Originally Posted by Eth
There are lots of people who have gotten the engine swapped. Just search for "oil consumption" or the oil consumption thread.

The only downside is that you might not get an extended warranty for the new engine to grandfather the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty, and resale value is probably going to be lower once you have engine work done, regardless if it was from abuse, negligence, recall, etc. Oh, and you obviously won't be able to drive your Z while it's being repaired, so you'll be stuck with a loaner/rental car for 'x' days/weeks/months while you get that engine swapped out.
hows this possible with the 5yr warranty? if they are the one who did the work, i dont see any reason why the warranty will not be honored in the 5yr plan...
In addition to this, hows the price value affected with the new motor? If you tell them, then yes but if you were to sell this to anywhere other than Nissan dealership, then they wouldnt know. My buddy traded in a 2006 V6 honda accord manual at the nearest nissan dealer where i live, we swapped the 17' V6 stock wheels to my other buddy with 16's honda stock and the nissan dealership didnt even ask anything...=)...i mean the wheels for V6 manual is the only wheel model that they put on the car, obviously they are not quite familiar with honda so the trade in went smooth without knowing the wheels..again its just my opinion
Old 01-12-2008, 12:16 PM
Eth

Originally Posted by jOeL350z
hows this possible with the 5yr warranty? if they are the one who did the work, i dont see any reason why the warranty will not be honored in the 5yr plan...
I am trying to say that if you get a new engine today, then your car will be ~2 yrs old and 'x' thousand miles old, which cuts into the 5 year/60k warranty. If we averaged 10k miles/year, and 2 years, then we have a remaining 3 year/40k powertrain warranty. They MAY OR MAY NOT grandfather you an extended warranty on the the engine because it's only a component of the powertrain system( ie. getting a 5 yr/60k extended warranty that starts when you receive a new engine).

Originally Posted by jOeL350z
In addition to this, hows the price value affected with the new motor? If you tell them, then yes but if you were to sell this to anywhere other than Nissan dealership, then they wouldnt know...
In all reality, they may not know the condition of the car, but in good faith, I'd hope that people disclosed that type of information, whether they were directly asked or not. Pulling a fast one over a potential buyer or dealership is really a moral decision rather than a financial resale one. I am sure people get problems from cars passed down individuals frequently, and some of those people end up complaining on these boards.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Skidfive805

Default .

very happy with my 06... now, read the sig
Old 01-12-2008, 05:26 PM
zyou8er

Why even bother changing the motor, ill bet they motors that they putting in the cars with oil consumptions issues, have the same problems. Meaning, they havent changed anything internally that will stop the oil consumption, cheap rings are being used hmmmm GO NISSAN
Old 01-12-2008, 05:57 PM
pooked

ok i have people saying replacement engines still have oil consumption and people saying they don't, anyone else here recently installed v2 engine without oil consumption?. cuz right now i feel like im running the first 2 stroke z lol...
Old 01-12-2008, 06:29 PM
ke0ki2k

"As far as the V2 engine is concerned, I like it a lot more than the V1 that came with it. I heard that it's pulling less peak HP (~293hp) but has a bit more torque. Whether that's because of the engine, placebo effect of having something new, or having the new method of testing engine power output, I don't honestly know."

It's probably rated lower due to new standards. like the STi's were always rated at 300 till they tested on the new standards and they were rated at 293. same power, new testing standards.
Old 01-12-2008, 09:11 PM
pooked

Originally Posted by ke0ki2k
"As far as the V2 engine is concerned, I like it a lot more than the V1 that came with it. I heard that it's pulling less peak HP (~293hp) but has a bit more torque. Whether that's because of the engine, placebo effect of having something new, or having the new method of testing engine power output, I don't honestly know."

It's probably rated lower due to new standards. like the STi's were always rated at 300 till they tested on the new standards and they were rated at 293. same power, new testing standards.
so you have ZERO!!!! consumption now?
Old 01-12-2008, 10:23 PM
Eth

Originally Posted by pooked
so you have ZERO!!!! consumption now?
Were you talking to me or ke0ki2k? Either way, it's too early for me to tell whether this new V2 engine consumes oil because I just had it replaced this year.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:38 AM
MagneticZ33

Originally Posted by rickyislaZy
So today I brought my 06 in to the dealer for an oil change, while I was there I asked for an oil consumption test.

When I picked up my car, they told me that my car is not burning oil too badly but they are still going to order me a new motor.

My car only has 9000 miles right now, feels like a bit early for a new motor.

Who here has the revised version of the rev-up and what are your thoughts on it?

So far im really happy with mine i had it changed about 4 months ago and put about 5K on it and has not consumed one drop of oil. So if it stays this way for another 10K i will install all of my goodies that i have been so hesitant to put on.
The dealership also told me that the V2 was the same as the V1 the only difference was the pistons and the piston rings. but for some reason the car feels like it has more torque also a plus.

The only downside to it but its not really a biggie is that the valves on the V2 are a tiny bit louder than the V1 dont know why if they are supposed to be the same. I thought something was wrong with mine but i litened to another V2 and it made the same noise then we put it next to a V1 and the V1 did not do it WEIRED HUH Well anyways im happy now
Old 01-13-2008, 02:30 PM
undrgnd

Originally Posted by Ziggyrama
Um, I am pretty sure you're supposed to check your oil level when it's warm after you drive the car and you reached your normal operating condition. Park the car for 10 minutes on a level surface and check the level on the dip stick. 10 minutes is plenty of time for all the oil that will drain back into the oil pan to drain back in there. Every car I ever owned has always had this method of checking. I can't imagine Nissan is any different.....unless the manual says otherwise. I don't recall it saying you're supposed to check it cold.
Check it when it's cold. We've done it every which way, and it reads much more consistently when it's cold. Plenty of feedback in the oil consumption sticky. BTW, everything mentioned here has been hashed and rehashed in the sticky.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:41 AM
rickyislaZy

Update:
The motor has just arrived at the dealer, taking my car in next Tuesday.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:54 AM
Reality350

GOOD LUCK!

I get my baby back this week...
Old 01-15-2008, 11:31 AM
luvZcar

well just thought I'd chime in and let you know I've had my motor change twice now and the first two being V1's and the third being a V2 and so far no oil consumption but it has only 650 miles on the new motor lots of time still, but I'm very happy at this point to see it not consumeing