Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Rev-Up The Difference...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 05:19 AM
drive4fun

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rev-Up The Difference...

So I've searched but can't seem to find the answer that I'm looking for.

To be specified I'm trying to find out exactly why there are so many 6mt's burning oil and not the auto's.

What are the differences between a rev-up motor and a non-revup.

From what I know.

- Higher redline (7200)
- Few more HP, Less TQ
- Exhaust variable timing
- Bigger OEM intake (more air-flow)
- Different ECU

- Someone said stronger rods and that the engine is built a little stronger?

- Apparently the problem with rev-ups is that the rings don't seal properly. The few auto's out there who consumed mentioned that they would down shift and keep the RPM's in high range.
Do the Auto's and 6mt NON-REVUP engines use the same pistons and rings as the REV-UP models?

What if the Rev-Up's don't shift pass 6800 (non-revup limit). Will there still be oil consumption? Does it start consuming when driven hard (excessive redlining, downshifting, etc.)

Has anyone actually babied the car to see if it would still consume? (Not during break-in)

Although I believe there is something wrong about the production of the Rev-Ups I also think that it's from how the car is driven. Almost every car will burn oil when driven hard.

What are the differences in the engine itself? I'm assuming it has been answered before. I would appreciate it if someone would enlighten me in this subject or direct me where I could find some answers.

Thanks
Old 09-25-2008, 05:57 AM
cheshirecat79

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most of this can be found in the Rev-Up Oil Consumption thread which is stickied up top.

The Rev-up is MT only. It came in 2005 anniversary models as well as 2006. It has a redline of 7k. The internals are not any "Stronger" from what I understand.

People have tried babying the motor on oil consumers and some found that it actually consumed more oil. The oil consumption is all over the place, it does not seem to be impacted whether you run the car hard or not. (even though tracking the car may burn oil when compared to daily driving)

Nobody knows for certain what the issue is. Some say rings. Some say valve seals.

Some members have been losing more than two quarts in 1k miles. I would not say that is acceptable for an OEM engine that is being driven down the highway.
Old 09-25-2008, 01:04 PM
OCG35
Banned

the rev-up rods are the same as non revup but the bolts are stronger... the oil pump is virtually the same except for the center ring that the crankshaft runs through is stronger... I'm pretty sure the valve springs are the same which is weird because the other changes were specifically for higher revs, so I’m not sure why the valve springs wouldn’t be stronger? (maybe they are?)... And of course everyone knows the lower collector is designed different...

There are probably other differences - but the heavier duty rod bolts and oil pump are the ones I'm certain of.
Old 09-28-2008, 02:55 PM
drive4fun

What does nissan/infiniti say about this? What is their reason for oil consumption?

I just don't understand how the Manual's burn so much meanwhile the auto's don't. The engines are very similar.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:40 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

My RevUp does not burn oil.

But then again, I had mine on an autocross course at 300 miles.
Old 09-28-2008, 04:53 PM
RMichael

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PDX_Racer
My RevUp does not burn oil.
But then again, I had mine on an autocross course at 300 miles.
Tell that to the folk who had oil consumption tests and their motors replaced.

If you are going to get a rev up and it burns oil, be certain that the correct amount of oil was added before they seal the motor for the consumption test. There are some shady characters out there that may overfill it before sealing it for the test. Be there.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:32 PM
PDX_Racer

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by RMichael
Tell that to the folk who had oil consumption tests and their motors replaced.

If you are going to get a rev up and it burns oil, be certain that the correct amount of oil was added before they seal the motor for the consumption test. There are some shady characters out there that may overfill it before sealing it for the test. Be there.
I'm saying that not all RevUp engines have oil problems. Mine doesn't. Others have.

Just because you have a RevUp doesn't mean that you'll have oil consumption problems. That's all *I'm* saying.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:52 PM
INTIMAZY

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Agreed. The forum makes it seem like all of us are cursed with this horrible bastard child called the "revup." With the parts availability of the DE motor and a 252.3 rwhp stock dyno dynamics sheet, I'll keep mine.

Oh and no consumption here. Feb 2006 build date. Babied until the 3000 mile marker.