Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Best Oil Brand/Grade for Revup that eats up oil?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 04:31 PM
iwant2drift

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Oil Brand/Grade for Revup that eats up oil?

FYI I drive a 06 G35 Coupe 6spd with Revup...

I want to try a different oil to see if I can stop this crazy oil consumption (i know about the TSB, ive already replaced my engine once...)

So I'm currently using Castrol Synthetic 5w30 and I already had to add 2 quarts after 3k miles...

I saw the thread on my350z.com comparing the oils...should I go for the thicker oils? Like Mobile1 0w40 or Shell Rotella T-Sync 5w40 or maybe Redline 10w40

What do you guys recommend, and that has actually worked for your revup engines? And lets just say I do some "spirited" driving since I do drive a stick and that's the main reason I got this car to be able to have fun with it...unfortunately Nissan has let me down with this whole oil burning nonsense...

Thanks!
Old 06-08-2011, 05:38 PM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Motor oil has never fixed a motor and it never will. 2 quarts/3,000 miles? Check Walmart and Kmart. Whichever is the cheapest.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:43 AM
iwant2drift

I know it wont fix the engine but if i can at least find an oil that doesnt get swallowed by my engine it would be a bit better
Old 06-10-2011, 02:15 AM
acke15

Originally Posted by iwant2drift
I know it wont fix the engine but if i can at least find an oil that doesnt get swallowed by my engine it would be a bit better
Fail.....

Only fix is new motor. I feel your pain. 1qt every 1200 miles for me. Good thing im building the motor this winter
Old 06-10-2011, 04:38 AM
KornerCarver

Received 171 Likes on 76 Posts

Since the only fix is a new motor, I say don't worry about the oil consumption. A new motor is a very expensive proposition. A quart of oil every thousand miles or so is only about $4.00. As long as the engine is running good, I would just add the quart every thousand and leave things alone. I remember when sports cars needed a quart every 400-500 miles and that was considered normal. When I had my Austin Healey Sprite, I carried a quart of oil in the trunk at all times so I could add when needed.
Old 06-10-2011, 05:19 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

that would be all well and good if an engine continued at that rate...but it doesn't. They tend to get worse. As it gets worse, compression continues to drop, and eventually you can be left stranded

oil is a lubricant - it burns. If you want an oil that burns slower, you can try a heavier weight oil. It's at best a very, very, very short term bandaid. It's not likely to matter what brand you use...it's all going to burn. There is no such thing as an oil that solves mechanical problems. The engine either works correctly or doesn't. The car needs to be torn apart and the cause of the oil consumption (likely cause being rings or something in the head), fixed properly
Old 06-10-2011, 08:01 AM
terrasmak
Super Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,306 Likes on 1,661 Posts

I ran Amsoil 0w30 that my car likes to drink, so i swapped over to the Amsoil 5w40 and i go thru 1/2 the oil now.

Min is not a revup oil burner, but normally burns 1/2 quart a day on the race track and a full quart every 4k miles of normal driving.

Last edited by terrasmak; 06-10-2011 at 08:03 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:35 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

True Len, but there is a big difference between a healthy engine that is just going through a natural age cycle and finding it's sweet spot vs an engine that is limping along on it's death march
Old 06-10-2011, 06:25 PM
kingkai

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
True Len, but there is a big difference between a healthy engine that is just going through a natural age cycle and finding it's sweet spot vs an engine that is limping along on it's death march
Not soo much a difference, more of a function based on Time
Old 06-13-2011, 04:27 PM
iwant2drift

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
that would be all well and good if an engine continued at that rate...but it doesn't. They tend to get worse. As it gets worse, compression continues to drop, and eventually you can be left stranded

oil is a lubricant - it burns. If you want an oil that burns slower, you can try a heavier weight oil. It's at best a very, very, very short term bandaid. It's not likely to matter what brand you use...it's all going to burn. There is no such thing as an oil that solves mechanical problems. The engine either works correctly or doesn't. The car needs to be torn apart and the cause of the oil consumption (likely cause being rings or something in the head), fixed properly
the part that bothers me the most is the fact that ive already gotten my engine replaced once and the same issue happens again...I don't think its up to the driver to have to open up the engine to fix an issue that Nissan made, its kind of ridiculous to have to go through such pain after buying a "luxury sports" car...

I guess if it doesn't hurt to get heavier oil I will go that route for now until I get a chance to get to the dealer and see what they can do about this...or I might as well just stick with the same weight oil so they can see how much it really is burning right now...
Old 07-30-2011, 12:23 PM
wechslerl

Oil burning question.
Most of the High rev engines burn more oil than the rest.
The only difference between the engines (that I know of) is the oil activated cam shaft timing valve and its system. I would like to know, where the oil from this system is draining into, once its gone thru the valves and such?
Does it drain into the space where the timing chain rotates into?
If so, where is the oil in the timing chain compartment drains into?
Lets get some serious answers here please?

Last edited by wechslerl; 07-30-2011 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:37 AM
Z1 Performance
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by wechslerl
Oil burning question.
Most of the High rev engines burn more oil than the rest.
The only difference between the engines (that I know of) is the oil activated cam shaft timing valve and its system. I would like to know, where the oil from this system is draining into, once its gone thru the valves and such?
Does it drain into the space where the timing chain rotates into?
If so, where is the oil in the timing chain compartment drains into?
Lets get some serious answers here please?

the rings are the issue on the revups
Old 07-31-2011, 06:42 AM
taywan

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

have you looked into royal purple?
Old 08-05-2011, 02:31 PM
iwant2drift

I've read bad things about Royal Purple for our engines...