2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Buttonwillow raceway and dyno!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2002, 07:06 PM
raceboy
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by THrussT
Steve, nice to see your threads again. Been awhile since I last visited the old stomping grounds (spyderchat.com). You provide a fine example of why drivers will ALWAYS matter. I never had problems with my MR2-S in the wet either. Experience and skill behind the wheel, as you pointed out when comparing your progress against others at Buttonwillow (including the S2000's) is essentially, well-earned horsepower not measurable on any dyno.
There is no doubt that the driver is ten times more important than the car. That is why when I see the this vs that threads I just laugh because I know the guys argueing the hardest are the worst drivers and they have to rely on the car.

I will say this on the S2K vs Z debate. I think in terms of pure speed around a real roadcourse, the 2 cars are equal with equal drivers. It will come down to the fastest driver, but I do think that the Z is much easier to drive fast. Take a driver of moderate experience and let him/her take a few laps in each and I am pretty sure that they would be faster in the Z. Never less than 200lbs/ft of torque will see to that. If I could have fit in an S2K without my head hitting the roof, my knees pinned under the steering wheel, and without having to duck to see out the side windows, I would have had one a year ago.
Old 09-21-2002, 07:11 PM
raceboy
Banned

Originally posted by Flyingscot
raceboy,

How did you find those Brembos on the track?

Fly
The brakes felt great in terms of effectiveness. Not a hint of fade at all even with a passenger all day. They could use better feel. I think as soon as some steel braided lines are available that will be cured. I like a rock hard pedal that doesn't move once the pads engage and you just vary the pressure to get the amount of braking you need. Keep in mind that is what I have been used to for quite some time. The ABS kicks quite hard as well, but nothing you don't quickly get used to.
Old 09-21-2002, 09:10 PM
raceboy
Banned

I also do have to add that it was amazing how many S2K's were at the track. There were over 20 of them, maybe even 30. I really hope Z owners start turning out at track events like the S2k guys do instead of just cruising the blvd.
Old 09-22-2002, 12:33 AM
Da Gimp

Looks like the links to the dyno pics are broken now.....where did you move them?
Old 09-22-2002, 02:54 AM
roberto350z

any estimate what the drivetrain loss is on this car? In other words, do you think this car is pulling closer to "300hp" at the engine?

BTW whats the "Bus Stop?"
Old 09-22-2002, 10:40 AM
raceboy
Banned

Links should be working again, I just think Imagestation was down.

As far as the driveline loss, 20% would mean exactly 287 hp.
Old 09-22-2002, 02:06 PM
THrussT

Originally posted by raceboy
If I could have fit in an S2K without my head hitting the roof, my knees pinned under the steering wheel, and without having to duck to see out the side windows, I would have had one a year ago.
Hmmm. I'm 6-4, 235-lbs and love the fit. Then again, I favor the Italian driving position so that might explain it.
I do agree on your assessment that the 350Z for most drivers would be EASIER than the S2000 for a quick navigation to the finish line. The Honda, intentionally of course, blurs the line between a race car (IOW, track car) and street car and for many owners, the effort it takes to explore the adhesion/handling limits puts them in unfamiliar and uncomfortable territory. Once mastered however, I think by its very nature, the S2000's grin factor has few equals. That's what made the Spyder such a blast to drive (for me). Wrangling that car to its limits and hanging with cars whose owners were barely breaking a sweat was work, but oh...what fun it was! I can recall one jaunt thru the woods of Vermont with a BMW M3 owner. In the straights, he would really put the distance between us, but I kept catching up in the turns and by the end of the run we both pulled over. He got out with the look of someone who was frustrated and I climbed out of the Spyder with a look matched only by the time I got one of those electric football games as a young boy. You know the one, where the players all vibrated in different directions at the same time!
Enjoy your Z and watch out for those experienced S2000 maniacs!
Old 09-22-2002, 04:12 PM
Flyingscot

Originally posted by raceboy
The brakes felt great in terms of effectiveness. Not a hint of fade at all even with a passenger all day. They could use better feel. I think as soon as some steel braided lines are available that will be cured. I like a rock hard pedal that doesn't move once the pads engage and you just vary the pressure to get the amount of braking you need. Keep in mind that is what I have been used to for quite some time. The ABS kicks quite hard as well, but nothing you don't quickly get used to.
This is good news! I know what you mean about the comfort factor of steel braided lines though. It sounds to me that SB lines, Motul 600 and some race pads would satisfy even the most harded racers.

Do you think aftermarket brake kits (with bigger rotors etc) will be unnecessary for the track?
Old 09-22-2002, 10:08 PM
raceboy
Banned

I think as long as you remain on street tires, the brakes will be fine for even the most brutal track session. It will be interesting to see what happens on race tires though. My guess is that the Brembo's should still be just fine.
Old 09-23-2002, 11:03 AM
The Unabageler

those brakes are very impressive! I put in SS lines, porterfield R4 pads and superblue fluid and had a bit of fade...not enough to slow me down but enough to be noticeable. There's an s2k that's going to be racing in speedvision GT series next season, I'm interested to see what he's going to do.
Old 09-23-2002, 02:03 PM
Flyingscot

Originally posted by The Unabageler
those brakes are very impressive! I put in SS lines, porterfield R4 pads and superblue fluid and had a bit of fade...not enough to slow me down but enough to be noticeable.
You've already done all this and the car's only been out for a few months. Wow!

Last edited by Flyingscot; 09-23-2002 at 02:06 PM.
Old 09-27-2002, 11:04 AM
raceboy
Banned

Boosted Spyder, you mean I am still gonna have to worry about you at the track!! LOL See you there Jim.
Old 09-27-2002, 01:06 PM
dougrace zs

So Steve you liked the brakes overall trying to decide if the track model is worth the extra $$$$$ like you I didn’t like the pedal fell a little to mushy when I drove the car back in June I too think that the braded lines will cure that, at this point I wonder if the brembos will hold up at a road course like Road Atlanta real fast and the down hill braking in 10a kills brakes. Do you know if any body has tried the stock brakes on a road course yet?
Old 09-27-2002, 06:07 PM
raceboy
Banned

Other than pedal softness (easily cured with some Motul 600 and Goodridge lines) I think the Track Models brakes are awesome!! Highly effective at scrubbing off speed over and over again. The pedal never changed it's feel during a session. Really allows you to get into a great rhythm.