Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

To Buy or not: 225 TT v 350z

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 11:36 PM
FormulaRX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a long time VW/Audi enthusiast, I think that the TT isn't that bad of a car...it may be overpriced for what it has to offer but so are a lot of european sports cars. Anyway, Audi wins hands down for a nice interior...Audi always knows how to make nice interiors. Another thing you must consider is whether or not you need Quattro All Wheel Drive, which is something that the Z does not have. If you like 4 wheel drive, you might want to keep the TT on that basis. The car is fun to drive but I agree it is limited by the engine it has. Yes even though it has 225hp, it is hard pressed to run as well as some of its competitors. You don't need to worry about upgrading the drivetrain if you boost the engine to make more power because the all wheel drive system can handle up to 500hp I believe, however teh base 1.8T makes 180hp and when you add a computer chip to the engine to make more boost, you get around 220-230hp. With the base 225hp TT, it is essentially already modded from the factory and therefore there's not really much more you can do in terms of bolt ons to gain more power unless you upgrade to a larger KO4, RS4, or Garrett T28 ball bearing turbo. Just keep in mind that the 1.8T can generate in excess of 300+ hp and 300+ lb/ft torque from a larger turbo and exhaust but the engine will be highly stressed and will not be reliable in the long run. If you are looking for something with a lot stronger pull and torque, the 350Z delivers stock 287hp from an engine that isn't under as much stress as the boosted 1.8T. Even though it has turbo, asking 1.8 liters (turbo or not) to haul around the weight of the car plus all wheel drive is asking quite a bit. I like the Audi TT but I agree that only the new 3.2L V6 (VR6???) is worth getting because there's only so much you can do to a 1.8T to get it to perform better without risking reliability and spending too much to make the engine stronger. It's really up to you but keep in mind that by having a TT, you already have a car that's much better than many cars out on the streets and it's nothing to be ashamed of. The car can be made to be a good track car and good on the twisties too as long as you don't expect too much from the car to be dissapointed by what it can and cannot deliver. Test drive the 350Z and I guarantee that you will like the initial torque punch better because you don't have to deal with turbo lag. However if 4-wheel drive and turbo is your kinda thing, then just keep the TT cuz it's a good car (or you can look into the EVO8 or STI). It's your decision but I just wanted to give my opinion on what I would do because I'm not a big fan of the 1.8T anyway...I've tuned this engine for a quite a few years and have seen the limitations of it (not to mention the problems from ignition coil falirues as you begin increasing the boost). Yes there are those diehard fans who will tell me that it's the best engine but I think otherwise. It did make WARD's 10 best for a few years but the Nissan VQ series V6 made WARD'S top 10 best for 10 years in a row. Something to think about when thinking of reliablilty. Ok I'm rambling and it's late...gotta go to sleep but I hope that does help you in your decision. 350Z is more bang for the buck if you ask me...a well equipped enthusiast model can run for only 28K and be a blast to drive! Go test drive one and see for yourself. Good luck and let us all know what you decide. I hope I have not persuaded you toward the Z just because I think it is the better of the 2 cuz that's not my intention...the choice is still yours to make. Personally, however, I've always been a big fan of NA engines over turbo/SC because if the consistant/linear powerband so naturally I would go for the 350Z (or Audi TT 3.2 V6 if I had to choose the TT).

Last edited by FormulaRX; 02-26-2004 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:30 AM
Ikon66

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phew, what a reply. It seems that everyone in the US just take their cars and upgrade them as much as poss. Are your insurance companies not charging thousands of dollars. In the UK car insurance for a standard 350z will be almost a thousand dollars not to mention trying to get insurance for a modded car. Most companies will not touch you.

I do find the TT engine a bit raucous? and was hoping that the larger block Z would be smoother across the whole rev range.

Waiting to see

Cheers again

Paul