2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Help replacing clutch safety switch

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2020, 02:00 PM
NzZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help replacing clutch safety switch

Hi guys,
After weeks of trying to figure out why my Z wasn’t starting regularly I have identified the issue as the clutch safety switch. I ordered a new one but the nut on the old one doesn’t want to come undone. I apply significant pressure and the nut doesn’t move but the bracket nearly bends. Any suggestions? Trying some WD40 now but not holding my breath. I admittedly have a wimpy wrench but since I’m close to bending the bracket I’m not sure more force is the answer.

thanks,
NzZ
Old 05-24-2020, 05:26 PM
Bak3rme

Received 127 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by NzZ
Hi guys,
After weeks of trying to figure out why my Z wasn’t starting regularly I have identified the issue as the clutch safety switch. I ordered a new one but the nut on the old one doesn’t want to come undone. I apply significant pressure and the nut doesn’t move but the bracket nearly bends. Any suggestions? Trying some WD40 now but not holding my breath. I admittedly have a wimpy wrench but since I’m close to bending the bracket I’m not sure more force is the answer.

thanks,
NzZ
pic plz
Old 05-25-2020, 09:55 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by NzZ
Hi guys,

thanks,
NzZ
Is it possible you are turning the wrong way? We've all done that lol.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:51 PM
NzZ

Originally Posted by jhc
Is it possible you are turning the wrong way? We've all done that lol.
I believe I am turning it the right way (clockwise) to push the nut back towards the sensor. I put so much pressure on the nut that the bracket bends but the nut goes nowhere. bigger wrench?

NzZ
Old 06-01-2020, 04:47 AM
MattWll

Try to back it up with something and tap the youngsters first, pour wd-40 for a couple of hours.
Old 06-01-2020, 06:33 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by NzZ
I believe I am turning it the right way (clockwise) to push the nut back towards the sensor. I put so much pressure on the nut that the bracket bends but the nut goes nowhere. bigger wrench?

NzZ
Something isn't right, that nut should take the same torque or less than a spark plug. About 15 foot lbs which most folks can do with 1 hand. If you have a switch similar to the one below when looking at the naked end the nut should turn left/anti-clockwise to come off. You have enough force to bend the bracket, so no a bigger wrench won't solve it. I think you've got 2 possibilities -
1) the nut is over - tightened (at this point absolutely).
2) the nut needs to rotate the other direction (AWAY from the sensor and all the way off to slide the threaded tube out of the bracket).

The following users liked this post:
khnitz (06-01-2020)
Old 06-01-2020, 05:43 PM
NzZ

JHC thanks for the input. The sensor is still in place and the nut is behind the bracket. Am I correct in understanding that the bolt needs to turn counter clockwise? It seems that would just push the nut into the bracket. I can’t get the nut to move in either direction.

thanks for your help,
NzZ
Old 06-02-2020, 06:26 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Originally Posted by NzZ
JHC thanks for the input. The sensor is still in place and the nut is behind the bracket. Am I correct in understanding that the bolt needs to turn counter clockwise? It seems that would just push the nut into the bracket. I can’t get the nut to move in either direction.

thanks for your help,
NzZ
Not really sure I've helped lol.
If the nut won't move at all now you'll need to decide whether you want to try to cut the sensor off or just replace the whole bracket. When talking about direction you really need to add the words "when looking at sensor end" or "when looking at plunger end" as that changes everything.
If you want to add a pic click the square box to the right of paperclip above and follow the prompts. FWIW there's an old saying to remember -
"Lefty loosey, righty tighty."
The following users liked this post:
calvin.w (06-02-2020)
Old 06-02-2020, 04:55 PM
NzZ

Just to close this up I was able to get the nut undone and the sensor changed. The nut was actually welded in place which is why it was so hard to remove. Facing the clutch pedal I had to turn the nut clockwise. New sensor appears to be working. Been driving my 350 all week and fell in love with her all over again.

Cheers,
NzZ