Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Ever been counseled by DMV?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 10:43 AM
Dissolved

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ever been counseled by DMV?

Just curious. In May 2001, I chirped my wheels in Ocean City and got a ticket for it (spinning wheels was the ticket).

3 months later, DMV sent me a letter in the mail stating if I did a similar offense in the next 3 years, my license would be suspended. Seems kinda harsh considering my driving record only had an illegal u-turn on it prior to that.

Almost makes you not want to have a fast car on the street. Driving on eggshells
Old 02-24-2004, 11:09 AM
UF350Z

Buddy of mine has gotten a ticket for it and I've talked my way out of one for that...it's called a "false start" supposedly it can cause the cars behind you to assume that your going which causes an accident risk. It's a BS ticket though...thats supposed to target street racing but pretty much any car with a manual can spin the tires and alot of auto cars...it's ends up hurting people that aren't street racing. Now the weird part is that they sent you that letter you may want to go in and talk to them about that or take it to court...the only reason they should give you that "probation" period is if you were also involved in a street racing ticket/bust. I've heard of that happeneing with street racing incidents...I would get a lawyer and fight it (if you can). Thats complete BS.

DMW
Old 02-24-2004, 11:30 AM
D@ActiveTuning

LOL, I got a BS ticket in Ocean City for spinning my wheels too..Situation sucked. Three lanes, in front of me in each lane, accord, GTI, camaro. I was behind the GTI, they all raced and the GTI spun his tires, because I was behind him, it must have looked like the smoke came from my tires, and I got pulled over!

I didn't get anything from the DMV like you got though.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:36 AM
ZShadow

O.C. police can be a pain in the butt. Times sure have changed there.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:55 AM
Dissolved

OC police USED to let us street race and light em up at every stoplight. I did it numerous times in front of the cops. Now they are ruining everything!

I think the advisory letter I got is a result of me living in Delaware. They must just be strict here

I know people with 2 DUIs who still have their license. Yet mine is threatened on a 2nd minor traffic offense.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:02 PM
dchengmd

Originally posted by Dissolved
OC police USED to let us street race and light em up at every stoplight. I did it numerous times in front of the cops. Now they are ruining everything!
Yeah, cause street racing is just SO cool and SO safe. It's too bad the evil police are ruining your fun, because after all, who cares about anyone else's safety as long as YOU have YOUR fun, right?

I know people with 2 DUIs who still have their license. Yet mine is threatened on a 2nd minor traffic offense.
Good. Maybe someone is trying to tell you something? Like if you want to race, do it at a track and not on the street?

You sound just like that loser in another thread who feels that just because other people get away with stuff, you have every right to as well. Guess what, it doesn't work that way.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:05 PM
UF350Z

Originally posted by dchengmd
Good. Maybe someone is trying to tell you something? Like if you want to race, do it at a track and not on the street?

You sound just like that loser in another thread who feels that just because other people get away with stuff, you have every right to as well. Guess what, it doesn't work that way.
Chill dude...he wasn't street racing he just chirped his tires...WOW
Old 02-24-2004, 12:09 PM
dchengmd

Originally posted by UF350Z
Chill dude...he wasn't street racing he just chirped his tires...WOW
Look at what he originally said:

"OC police USED to let us street race and light em up at every stoplight. I did it numerous times in front of the cops. Now they are ruining everything!"

He didn't say "OC police used to let us chirp our tires".

Unbelieveable how some people can't read what's right in front of them...WOW
Old 02-24-2004, 12:40 PM
jeffery

spinning your tires and street racing are two different things jack@ss
Old 02-24-2004, 01:20 PM
DiRN

Not that I condone street racing or take part in it, but it's easy to say "don't street race, go to a track" when you live near a track. I know that I'd have to drive an hour and a half, if not more, to get to one. For a lot of people it's a spur of the moment thing and a 90 minute drive kinda kills that moment. So sometimes when a track isn't an option, people have to resort to the street.

Again, I'm not condoning it, but sometimes the issue isn't so simple.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:57 PM
dchengmd

Originally posted by DiRN
Not that I condone street racing or take part in it, but it's easy to say "don't street race, go to a track" when you live near a track. I know that I'd have to drive an hour and a half, if not more, to get to one. For a lot of people it's a spur of the moment thing and a 90 minute drive kinda kills that moment. So sometimes when a track isn't an option, people have to resort to the street.

Again, I'm not condoning it, but sometimes the issue isn't so simple.
Oh, please. Nobody HAS to resort to street racing. That's a total cop-out. Nobody is forcing you to race, and there is absolutely no such thing as an organic or physiologic reason why anyone needs to race. If you have so little self-control or your ego is so easily bruised that you absolutely HAVE to respond to a challenge in your car, then you have no business having a driver's license. It's uncontrollable urges and 'spur of the moment' events like this that also contribute to road rage and other things that could be easily avoided.

If you don't live near a track, then your only alternative to street racing is to NOT DO IT. Period.

Sorry to go off like this, but it really annoys me to see so many people have such selfish attitudes that they are willing to put other inoocent peoples' lives at risk so they can stroke their own ego. I see enough of these people in the ER to know that in the big picture, we as a society end up paying the cost for what these putzes do.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:05 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, cause street racing is just SO cool and SO safe. It's too bad the evil police are ruining your fun, because after all, who cares about anyone else's safety as long as YOU have YOUR fun, right?

dchengmd,
You've made it abundantly clear that you have a moral and ethical issue with people who have, will, or might ever consider street racing in any form. It's nice to know that there are people out there like you who would never dare even speak of the sin of breaking the speed limit in your near-300 HP sports car. However....Calling people losers (or likening them to others who you've classified as 'losers') because they have done so is a little much, don't you think? This is a forum FULL of people with fast cars, most of whom can decide what is reasonably safe and what isn't. If you have issue with their boundaries, I recommend you find a political action comittee somewhere that lobbies to prevent auto manufacturers from producing cars that are capable of exceeding the speed-limit. Ranting around forums calling people names does nothing for your cause, so if I may say it...Down off your soap-box please.

Now, just so you don't think I'm some speed crazy 16 year old driving around in daddy's money, I don't condone blatantly unsafe driving either. I've been waiting to get out to Summit point to open my Z up and find out what it will really do in a safe, controlled environment. I am, however, guilty of breaking the speed limit on occasion, and I might even go so far as to say that I've given into the challenge of the occasional ricer (not in the Z, as I just got it and I'm still in my break-in period). But I made sure that I picked my battles carefully, and that if I put anyone at risk it was to all possible extent myself alone. I'm sure you'll have issue with that, but hey, that's the nature of our beasts. Have a nice day, and if you feel it necessary, flame away.
Old 02-24-2004, 02:51 PM
dchengmd

Originally posted by kcobean
dchengmd,
You've made it abundantly clear that you have a moral and ethical issue with people who have, will, or might ever consider street racing in any form. It's nice to know that there are people out there like you who would never dare even speak of the sin of breaking the speed limit in your near-300 HP sports car.
First of all, kcobean, you don't know me, so don't even begin to attempt to predict what I'd do or say. Second - although it isn't true for me, why is it nice to know there are people out there who 'would never dare even speak of breaking the speed limit in a near-300HP sports car'? Are you saying that just because we own powerful cars, we're entitled to street race? I guess when someone buys a gun, he's entitled to shoot it anywhere he wants too, huh?

However....Calling people losers (or likening them to others who you've classified as 'losers') because they have done so is a little much, don't you think?
No, I don't, especially not in the context I meant it to be in. Feel free to peruse the thread I alluded to:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=61907

This is a forum FULL of people with fast cars, most of whom can decide what is reasonably safe and what isn't. If you have issue with their boundaries, I recommend you find a political action comittee somewhere that lobbies to prevent auto manufacturers from producing cars that are capable of exceeding the speed-limit.
Ha, you actually think this is the solution? Sterilize society and isolate it from everything that can potentially cause injury? What's wrong with being more responsible for yourself and keeping the power you possess in check rather than having to display it at all times? You must be one of those 'guns kill people, ban all guns' advocates.

Ranting around forums calling people names does nothing for your cause, so if I may say it...Down off your soap-box please.
Pot-kettle-black. If you don't like what I have to say, then I invite you to not read any of my postings from now on. And what is appropriate is not for you to decide, but for the moderators.

I am, however, guilty of breaking the speed limit on occasion, and I might even go so far as to say that I've given into the challenge of the occasional ricer (not in the Z, as I just got it and I'm still in my break-in period). But I made sure that I picked my battles carefully, and that if I put anyone at risk it was to all possible extent myself alone.
Right. You keep on believing that, and when the day comes where you end up injuring someone other than yourself, I'll be waiting to hear your apology.

I'm sure you'll have issue with that, but hey, that's the nature of our beasts. Have a nice day, and if you feel it necessary, flame away.
I wouldn't call this a flame. In fact, you've made a lot more sense than some of the other people here I've had discussions with. That isn't saying much, though.

Last edited by dchengmd; 02-24-2004 at 02:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:25 PM
jeffery

dchengmd,

let it go dude.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:24 PM
Dissolved

Forget your prozac today?
Old 02-24-2004, 04:32 PM
dchengmd

Originally posted by Dissolved
Forget your prozac today?
I don't take Prozac. Besides, what does prozac have to do with anything about this thread?
Old 02-24-2004, 07:09 PM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First of all, kcobean, you don't know me, so don't even begin to attempt to predict what I'd do or say. Second - although it isn't true for me, why is it nice to know there are people out there who 'would never dare even speak of breaking the speed limit in a near-300HP sports car'? Are you saying that just because we own powerful cars, we're entitled to street race? I guess when someone buys a gun, he's entitled to shoot it anywhere he wants too, huh?

No, I don't, especially not in the context I meant it to be in. Feel free to peruse the thread I alluded to:

https://my350z.com/forum/showthread....threadid=61907

Ha, you actually think this is the solution? Sterilize society and isolate it from everything that can potentially cause injury? What's wrong with being more responsible for yourself and keeping the power you possess in check rather than having to display it at all times? You must be one of those 'guns kill people, ban all guns' advocates.

Pot-kettle-black. If you don't like what I have to say, then I invite you to not read any of my postings from now on. And what is appropriate is not for you to decide, but for the moderators.

Right. You keep on believing that, and when the day comes where you end up injuring someone other than yourself, I'll be waiting to hear your apology.

I wouldn't call this a flame. In fact, you've made a lot more sense than some of the other people here I've had discussions with. That isn't saying much, though.

dchengmd,
We could go 'round and 'round, couldn't we? My point is this, street racing is just speeding in pairs. If you speed (which the way I read your post above, you have admitted to), then you are guilty of the same thing for which you have labeled the original poster a loser. The purpose of this forum isn't to run around childishly calling other people names because you disagree with how they use their car. I have nooo problem whatsoever with you voicing your disapproval (and I know you could care less whether I have a problem with it or not), but you are obviously a very educated man, so find a more elegant, socially exceptable way to express your discontent, don't write like a 16 year-old ricer trying to get a rise out of someone.

I whole heartedly agree with you that with a car like the Z comes a huge responsibility to use it safely, but probably ALOT of the members of this forum have participated in some sort of street challenge. I'd like to think that the admission of doing such on this forum doesn't have to meet with such abuse. It discourages people from being open, and more importantly, it DOESN'T alter their driving behavior, so the net result is a negative impact on the forum, not a positive impact on 'the streets'.

Regarding your comments on guns, I'm actually very pro-gun. People kill people, not guns. A gun is no different than a car, or even a hammer. They are all potential weapons, and should be treated with the respect due them. If you make guns illegal, then the only people who will have them are the criminals, which is far worse than the alternative. Tie that belief to cars, and you could certainly say that I am agreeing with you, I just believe that it's not my place to berate other people for weilding their car in an unsafe manner on a forum that was not intended for that purpose.

That said, if you wish to continue, feel free to PM me. You sound like an interesting, well spoken guy, but our thread is wandering WAY off topic, so let's take it offline.

Have a great day.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:08 PM
UF350Z

Look at what he originally said:

"OC police USED to let us street race and light em up at every stoplight. I did it numerous times in front of the cops. Now they are ruining everything!"

He didn't say "OC police used to let us chirp our tires".

Unbelieveable how some people can't read what's right in front of them...WOW
I was reading what was right in front of me...what you said (what i quoted) was below this quote "I know people with 2 DUIs who still have their license. Yet mine is threatened on a 2nd minor traffic offense. " What i was referring to was what the post originally was about...him chirping his tires...the post wasn't about street racing...he was making a comment about what USED to happen...he doesn't do it anymore. Unbelieveable how some people can't even read what they wrote.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:08 AM
ZShadow

Man...let it go. If you don't approve of someone who likes to chirp their wheels now and then, stick to walking. This is still some what the land of the free! And yes, I have been in a couple of bad crashes--some my fault and some not, but I wouldn't go around with that huge chip---you'll just get stressed out.