Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Feather TSB Outsourced??

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2004, 02:38 PM
cinciZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Feather TSB Outsourced??

I am scheduled to have the feathering TSB done on my car this Thursday. Serv mgr said they will be having a tire company (Bob Sumeral Tire) put on the new tires and adjust the alignment. Is this what everyone else's dealer did??? It seems like the dealer should be doing it ... I would feel better about it getting done right and to Nissan's specs.

Also, I'm not allowed to drive it to the tire place ~ 4 miles away ... one of the techs has to, which makes me VERY nervous.
Old 02-24-2004, 03:45 PM
WayneTN

What do you know about Bob Sumeral Tire? Do they handle cars such as BMW's, Jags, etc.? If so, they may be better equipped to do the job right without messing up your wheels. The Nissan dealers have ruined several member's wheels, including mine, which they had to replace. Maybe Sumeral can do it better - you could call Sumeral and talk to them about it first.

WayneTN
Old 02-24-2004, 04:22 PM
MannishBoy
350Z-holic

Mine were sent to a tire shop for cross rotation and then later tire replacement.

During the first visit, they scratched my wheels, so the tire shop had to buy me new ones. I suggest you make sure to make the dealer note the condition of the wheels before they work on the car in case you do have damage. That way, they can't deny it.

The lug holes on the 18s are tight and if the shop isn't careful, they'll scratch up the holes as they remove the lugs with an impact wrench.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:53 PM
zunzet

Rim damage seems to come with the TSB.

Nobody can get it right. Good luck!
Old 02-24-2004, 06:31 PM
xchriz012x

Darn it. I got my tires fixed today for feathering. I think they got it done at the dealer. Are they only suppose to fix or replace just 2 front tires? or r they suppose to replace all 4? they only replaced 2 of mine(front). haven't checked yet for the scratches.
Old 02-24-2004, 07:33 PM
cinciZ

Originally posted by WayneTN
What do you know about Bob Sumeral Tire? Do they handle cars such as BMW's, Jags, etc.? If so, they may be better equipped to do the job right without messing up your wheels. The Nissan dealers have ruined several member's wheels, including mine, which they had to replace. Maybe Sumeral can do it better - you could call Sumeral and talk to them about it first.

WayneTN
Good thought. I seem to remember my dealer saying that the tire place has better equipment for this kind of thing. Bob Sumeral is a general tire shop chain, like Goodyear ... they're not really specialty. I will keep my eye out for scratches. ...And I'm still nervous about having someone else drive my car...

Have you noticed feathering since your fix?
Old 02-25-2004, 09:18 AM
WayneTN

Originally posted by cinciZ
Have you noticed feathering since your fix?
I had the TSB for feathering completed at 4,000 miles. I now have 12,000 miles - putting another 8,000 miles on the car - and the feathering is not quite as bad as it was at 4,000 miles. In other words, it reduced the feathering rate by over 50%, but it did not stop it.

The good news is that I drive fairly conservatively anyway. I don't slide around every corner and curve, so my tires still have plenty of tread, even on the edges. After 12,000 miles this first year, I expect that I could go another year before I have to replace the tires. We'll see.

WayneTN
Old 02-25-2004, 09:23 AM
WayneTN

Originally posted by xchriz012x
Darn it. I got my tires fixed today for feathering. I think they got it done at the dealer. Are they only suppose to fix or replace just 2 front tires? or r they suppose to replace all 4? they only replaced 2 of mine(front). haven't checked yet for the scratches.
The fix is to remove the front wheels, swap the rubber between the front wheels, rebalance the front wheels, reinstall the front wheels, and do a realignment. That's all. If you got new tires on the front, I believe that's a bonus. If you get all 4 tires replaced, the dealer doesn't know what he is doing (or he does and he's just being overly generous).

WayneTN