Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Can’t adjust Toe into spec, do I have to replace them?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2020, 04:47 PM
GrapeJelly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can’t adjust Toe into spec, do I have to replace them?

I took my 07 to get it realigned at 2 different shops, and both have said that they can’t adjust the rear right toe anymore and it is completely out of spec. My car is on stock suspension. These are the readings from the last shop. Would I just need to replace the toe arms for the right rear? Looking at Z1’s toe arms if you guys have any input

Right rear: (messed up)
-0.3 camber
-0.87 toe

Left rear is better at:
-1.5 camber
0.35 toe

left front:
-1.4 camber
8.1 caster
0 toe

right front
-0.8 camber
8.1 caster
0.03 toe

Old 08-16-2020, 08:58 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Be sure to get eccentric lock out kit with the arms.

Last edited by mr. sparco; 08-16-2020 at 09:00 PM.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:43 AM
xx7sephiroth7xx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're on stock suspension, then you can't get Z1 toe arms because they would take the place of the spring bucket. The Z1 toe arms only work with people who have true-style coilovers in the rear.

You'd have to get SPC toe bolts instead. Keep in mind, they will require a little machining of your rear subframe.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:41 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

-gzdhhjn.jpg

Originally Posted by xx7sephiroth7xx
If you're on stock suspension, then you can't get Z1 toe arms because they would take the place of the spring bucket. The Z1 toe arms only work with people who have true-style coilovers in the rear.

You'd have to get SPC toe bolts instead. Keep in mind, they will require a little machining of your rear subframe.
This is correct. I was thinking camber arms with eccentric lock out bolts. Disregard my previous post.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:16 PM
GrapeJelly

Originally Posted by xx7sephiroth7xx

thank you for that information, I’m going to have to return them from Z1 since they’re currently en route lol. I am planning to keep it at stock suspension for now.

however, I spoke to Z1 and they suggested that replacing the spring bucket/midlink could fix it. I’m going to have a shop take a look before ordering it.

At my last alignment, the tech had said that the lower link was bent? The paperwork just states lower link so I’m not sure what he meant
Old 08-18-2020, 08:10 PM
xx7sephiroth7xx

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mr. sparco

This is correct. I was thinking camber arms with eccentric lock out bolts. Disregard my previous post.

Originally Posted by GrapeJelly
thank you for that information, I’m going to have to return them from Z1 since they’re currently en route lol. I am planning to keep it at stock suspension for now.

however, I spoke to Z1 and they suggested that replacing the spring bucket/midlink could fix it. I’m going to have a shop take a look before ordering it.

At my last alignment, the tech had said that the lower link was bent? The paperwork just states lower link so I’m not sure what he meant
No problem.

Just want to point out -- you can fix your toe for $50 in parts plus a little machining with the SPC toe bolts (plenty of G35 and 350Z owners have done this) versus $900 for the SPL midlinks. The midlinks are definitely nice, but unless you're seriously tracking your car and need the ease of adjustment or you have a lot of $$$ burning a hole in your pocket, the SPC toe bolts are more than enough to fix your out of spec toe.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:16 AM
rancor

Received 73 Likes on 68 Posts

I'm surprised no one has said it yet but if you are on stock suspension and you can't get toe in spec somthing is broken or actually modified.

The SPL midlink will not fit stock springs.It's meant for smaller coilover type 2.5" springs not the ~5" OE springs.

Last edited by rancor; 08-19-2020 at 05:21 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 05:35 AM
GrapeJelly

Originally Posted by rancor
I'm surprised no one has said it yet but if you are on stock suspension and you can't get toe in spec somthing is broken or actually modified.

The SPL midlink will not fit stock springs.It's meant for smaller coilover type 2.5" springs not the ~5" OE springs.
i am being told by the shop that it was the camber arm that is bent. In that case, where would I order an OEM camber arm, preferably a superior aftermarket?
Old 08-19-2020, 08:43 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,288 Likes on 2,339 Posts

i am being told by the shop that it was the camber arm that is bent. In that case, where would I order an OEM camber arm, preferably a superior aftermarket?
Rear camber arms are available pretty much anywhere such as:
https://www.z1motorsports.com/advanc...%20arms%20350z

As you can see, the prices go from $150 to a-heckuva-lot. I've been running SPC (surprisingly, the least expensive rears) for 7 years and not a single complaint through probably 6-8 alignments. (My rear camber has remained pretty much spot on other than when I requested a bit more camber and since, it's remained static.)

If you want OEM, courtesyparts.com or any number of other online Nissan dealer parts sources.
Old 08-19-2020, 09:28 AM
GrapeJelly

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Rear camber arms are available pretty much anywhere such as:
https://www.z1motorsports.com/advanc...%20arms%20350z

As you can see, the prices go from $150 to a-heckuva-lot. I've been running SPC (surprisingly, the least expensive rears) for 7 years and not a single complaint through probably 6-8 alignments. (My rear camber has remained pretty much spot on other than when I requested a bit more camber and since, it's remained static.)

If you want OEM, courtesyparts.com or any number of other online Nissan dealer parts sources.

thank you for that brother. I made the mistake of ordering the Z1 toe arms not knowing it’s not compatible with stock suspension so I’m just unsure of which are compatible wit what lol. Being quoted $700 with alignment, labor and unknown aftermarket camber arm so I figured I’ll get the Z1 arm now then

edit: it should be fine if I get the SPC camber arm but keep the stock OEM one on the other side right?

Last edited by GrapeJelly; 08-19-2020 at 09:31 AM.
Old 08-19-2020, 03:44 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,288 Likes on 2,339 Posts

thank you for that brother. I made the mistake of ordering the Z1 toe arms not knowing it’s not compatible with stock suspension so I’m just unsure of which are compatible wit what lol. Being quoted $700 with alignment, labor and unknown aftermarket camber arm so I figured I’ll get the Z1 arm now then

edit: it should be fine if I get the SPC camber arm but keep the stock OEM one on the other side right?
No, they come in adjustable pairs. No sense having only one side adjustable.

I'm a little unclear though.... wasn't the original issue toe, not camber? Yes, camber affects toe but they are adjusted separately by different methods.

Old 08-19-2020, 03:56 PM
GrapeJelly

Originally Posted by MicVelo
No, they come in adjustable pairs. No sense having only one side adjustable.

I'm a little unclear though.... wasn't the original issue toe, not camber? Yes, camber affects toe but they are adjusted separately by different methods.
Yes you have it right, the toe is way off on the right rear, but the camber is also off. I am being told by the shop that it’s bent, and that is why they can’t adjust it anymore? Wish I knew a little more about cars in general but I’m going off of what I’m being told. Looking into getting it looked at by another shop, but I have ordered a pair of the SPC camber arms