Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

What is this

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2020, 04:57 AM
Jknivez

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What is this

Working on putting in a new clutch/ flywheel for the first time and I came across this. I don’t know what this is. Does anyone know what this is? Much appreciated !

Old 10-06-2020, 02:43 PM
icer5160

Received 442 Likes on 337 Posts

If you were attempting to link a picture, it's not present. Please provide more information.
-Icer
Old 10-11-2020, 09:50 PM
Jknivez

Default Here’s the photo

Originally Posted by icer5160
If you were attempting to link a picture, it's not present. Please provide more information.
-Icer

I thought it went through
Old 10-12-2020, 02:14 PM
icer5160

Hmm, what year is the Z? That looks to be a pretty good size spacer/washer. Where did you find it? Was it inside the bell housing? I've done a clutch/flywheel replacement on my 06 Z33 and I never saw anything like that in the clutch assembly or around the transmission input shaft. Additional pictures at different angles would be good to have. Also, was the clutch you were replacing the OEM unit or aftermarket?
-Icer
Old 10-13-2020, 02:32 AM
Jknivez

Hmm, what year is the Z? That looks to be a pretty good size spacer/washer. Where did you find it? Was it inside the bell housing? I've done a clutch/flywheel replacement on my 06 Z33 and I never saw anything like that in the clutch assembly or around the transmission input shaft. Additional pictures at different angles would be good to have. Also, was the clutch you were replacing the OEM unit or aftermarket?
-Icer
my Z is a 2004 touring. It was in the bell housing. Were I am assuming goes with the Pilot bearing, I could be 100% wrong. The clutch I’m replacing I believe is aftermarket.

Plate I took off
Old 10-13-2020, 01:43 PM
icer5160

The old clutch you replaced is indeed aftermarket. The OEM clutch doesn't have any kind of washer/spacer like the one shown. I'm making an educated guess here so take it with a grain of salt. But I think that little part is related to the aftermarket kit. Some kind of spacer or adapter needed for the pressure plate or clutch plate. Was the flywheel OEM or aftermarket? If you can confirm you have the OEM flywheel, then I would say it's safe to discard that piece with the old clutch kit. Everything you need should have been included in the new kit. If you're also replacing the flywheel, then again, everything needed should have been included.
-Icer
Old 10-13-2020, 03:24 PM
Jknivez

The old clutch you replaced is indeed aftermarket. The OEM clutch doesn't have any kind of washer/spacer like the one shown. I'm making an educated guess here so take it with a grain of salt. But I think that little part is related to the aftermarket kit. Some kind of spacer or adapter needed for the pressure plate or clutch plate. Was the flywheel OEM or aftermarket? If you can confirm you have the OEM flywheel, then I would say it's safe to discard that piece with the old clutch kit. Everything you need should have been included in the new kit. If you're also replacing the flywheel, then again, everything needed should have been included.
-Icer
this is the flywheel that I took off with the pressure plate and clutch plate.

I almost think that spacer/ washer went in the middle of this. Like it went in front of the pilot bearing. However, If you never seen this part before when changing out your clutch etc then it must have come from the old kit. As this is my first time doing this.

The new kit came with the pressure and clutch plate, pilot bearing, throughout bearing and flywheel. oh and the alignment tool.

Scratching my head at what that piece could have been with.
Old 10-14-2020, 05:15 AM
Jknivez

Originally Posted by Jknivez
this is the flywheel that I took off with the pressure plate and clutch plate.

I almost think that spacer/ washer went in the middle of this. Like it went in front of the pilot bearing. However, If you never seen this part before when changing out your clutch etc then it must have come from the old kit. As this is my first time doing this.

The new kit came with the pressure and clutch plate, pilot bearing, throughout bearing and flywheel. oh and the alignment tool.

Scratching my head at what that piece could have been with.
i forgot that I took this when I was changing out the rear main seal. I think that space was RTV to the back of that crank

Old 10-14-2020, 01:04 PM
icer5160

Thanks for providing the additional pictures and information. We can now confirm the old flywheel as being aftermarket and that washer piece is some kind of alignment adapter for the flywheel to the crank. Totally unnecessary now that you're replacing everything.

Quick tip: You should replace the clutch fork pivot ball with a chromoly unit while you're in there (not sure if this was done by the previous owner or not). I also recommend Honda's UREA grease for the various lube points, and if you have the tools, polish up the contact surface on the throw-out bearing carrier and clutch fork. (The areas where the fork and carrier make contact). When I did my clutch I noticed the metal surfaces were grooved a bit from years of use after the factory grease dried out. I also noticed some grooving on the clutch slave cylinder rod where it makes contact with the fork. Smoothing out the surface made a noticeable improvement with the clutch pedal movement and control.

Cheers!
-Icer
Old 10-15-2020, 03:20 PM
Jknivez

Thanks for providing the additional pictures and information. We can now confirm the old flywheel as being aftermarket and that washer piece is some kind of alignment adapter for the flywheel to the crank. Totally unnecessary now that you're replacing everything.

Quick tip: You should replace the clutch fork pivot ball with a chromoly unit while you're in there (not sure if this was done by the previous owner or not). I also recommend Honda's UREA grease for the various lube points, and if you have the tools, polish up the contact surface on the throw-out bearing carrier and clutch fork. (The areas where the fork and carrier make contact). When I did my clutch I noticed the metal surfaces were grooved a bit from years of use after the factory grease dried out. I also noticed some grooving on the clutch slave cylinder rod where it makes contact with the fork. Smoothing out the surface made a noticeable improvement with the clutch pedal movement and control.

Cheers!
-Icer

thank you for all your help Icer! Much appreciated!