Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

engine light p1283 p1273

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 10:24 PM
Charlie_sam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine light p1283 p1273

can someone give me answers, I keep getting the engine code P1283 and P1273 I have not done any mods and completely stock on the tail pipe a lot of white fumes comes out and strong exhaust smell and the car idles heavy i check fuel pressure and i am getting 49ish PSI I don't know if that would make a big difference, I checked for any vacuum leaks around the intake and plenum and check pressure on brake booster and PCV hose and pressure is good and I replace the lower&upper plenum gaskets and still I searched for any smell and exhaust from the engine bay but nothing, the only hissing noise is from the PCV valve but I heard that's normal. for the upstream A/F sensors i had bought 1A Auto wide band A/F but had a feeling they weren't reading correctly so i bought botch wide band O2 sensor part#15667 and engine light still came on. does anyone have an idea in what it can be ? ima clip photos of "live data" "code" & "fuel pressure gauge"

UPDATE::: i have now changed the fuel injectors with botch and changed the downstream O2 sensors to NTK and gave it a run the CAT code stayed green so its good but the EVA system still stay red I think i have might have found the problem, ima add the photo down below,there might be a tiny little leak on the plenum PCV “pipe” im not completely sure i kept spraying carb/brake cleaner it looks like it gets sucks in, its gonna be the photo with the red circle and arrow

FINAL UPDATE::::: guys good new i have found the problem i finally got a green light so everything is going good there was a vacume leak where the updated photo is posted with the red circle&arrow but thank you Z guys for all your help Ill drop down the photo with the green light im so happy i found it goodluck on your Z builds

ANOTHER UPDATE Sadly
guys the code came back on and it keeps in coming on after a long drive after having a green light i get a pending code and still waste gas like crazy ughh im getting tired of this car any more suggestions it wasn’t the little pipe for the PCV hose

***FINAL UPDATE PHOTO WITH GREEN LIGHT***

***UPDATED PHOTOS***

*End of Updated photos*

Last edited by Charlie_sam; 03-09-2021 at 08:37 PM. Reason: better quality photos
Old 02-11-2021, 08:09 AM
Sundown72

Received 63 Likes on 47 Posts

That short term fuel trim on S2 B2 is wild, 99%!

You’re doing the right things to sort this out, just gotta keep digging. As you know you’ve got either an air metering, fueling, or combustion byproduct measuring issue (O2 sensor).

A good start was checking for leaks in the engine bay, but you seem to have excess fuel, not excess air. Gasket replacement is a good move. Fuel pressure seems normal, from what I can remember, the Z is ~43PSI. The upstream O2 sensors are showing reasonable short term fuel trim (5%) so next steps could be, in ascending order of intrusiveness:

- Clean MAF and check MAF voltage, and potentially replace if bad.

- Replace the downstream O2 with NTK/Bosch units. They’re narrowband and much cheaper. It’s usually good practice to do upstream and downstream in pairs.

- Pull the injectors and test/send them to be cleaned. A stuck/intermittent injector could be the culprit.

- Your cats may be toast, especially after dumping raw fuel through them, replacement may figure into this repair at some point.

- Mayyyybe a stuck exhaust valve on bank 2? I mean, very very maybe.

At each step be sure to reset the ECU to see if the problem persists. Good luck!
The following users liked this post:
Charlie_sam (02-11-2021)
Old 02-11-2021, 09:58 AM
The_Laughing_Man

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You're right that the hissing noise around the PCV is normal. Clean sensors and you could try replacing the other 02 sensor like suggested. How does your coolant look?
Old 02-11-2021, 12:14 PM
Charlie_sam

Originally Posted by The_Laughing_Man
You're right that the hissing noise around the PCV is normal. Clean sensors and you could try replacing the other 02 sensor like suggested. How does your coolant look?
the coolant looks clear green normal color can it really be downstream o2 sensors that can give me the codes for the upstream?
Old 02-11-2021, 12:19 PM
Charlie_sam

Originally Posted by Sundown72
That short term fuel trim on S2 B2 is wild, 99%!

You’re doing the right things to sort this out, just gotta keep digging. As you know you’ve got either an air metering, fueling, or combustion byproduct measuring issue (O2 sensor).

A good start was checking for leaks in the engine bay, but you seem to have excess fuel, not excess air. Gasket replacement is a good move. Fuel pressure seems normal, from what I can remember, the Z is ~43PSI. The upstream O2 sensors are showing reasonable short term fuel trim (5%) so next steps could be, in ascending order of intrusiveness:

- Clean MAF and check MAF voltage, and potentially replace if bad.

- Replace the downstream O2 with NTK/Bosch units. They’re narrowband and much cheaper. It’s usually good practice to do upstream and downstream in pairs.

- Pull the injectors and test/send them to be cleaned. A stuck/intermittent injector could be the culprit.

- Your cats may be toast, especially after dumping raw fuel through them, replacement may figure into this repair at some point.

- Mayyyybe a stuck exhaust valve on bank 2? I mean, very very maybe.

At each step be sure to reset the ECU to see if the problem persists. Good luck!
my next move is changing the fuel injectors i have gone below the 25% gas mark couple of times soon i have been using fuel injector cleaner by GUMOUT but still nothing after that so my next move “fuel injectors” and after that if nothing happens ima change the downstream o2 sensors to the brands you recommend . Thanks for the help
Old 02-12-2021, 03:39 PM
icer5160

Received 442 Likes on 337 Posts

Hi Charlie,

Usually if the CATs are the issue you will get a P0430 or P0431. The white smoke is concerning though. This could be related to the fuel trims. The Sensor 2 (S2) data should be reading high, that is normal, this means you have very little unburnt fuel exiting your cats. The Sensor 1 (S1) data is what is concerning. This should be as close to 0% as possible, but your scanner is showing 10.9% on bank (B1) and 5.5% on bank 2 (B2), indicating your PCM is calling for more fuel. Virtually all the sensors on these engines should only be replaced with OEM (Cam Sensors, Crank Sensors, MAF, and O2). You mentioned you tried 1A auto and now have Bosch 15667 upstream wideband sensors (2005+ 350Zs). The OEM sensor mfg is Denso and I believe most of the sensors on Nissans use Denso. Sorry to say, but I think you need to pull those Bosch sensors and get the appropriate Denso/OEM units (about $120.00~150.00 each! Yikes!).

Denso Direct Unit

Nissan OEM (Same as Denso I think)

Regarding the white smoke, for peace of mind, I would get a combustion gas test kit and try that out. You might have a very minor head gasket leak, but since both banks are indicating higher than normal short term trim levels I suspect a sensor malfunction. There's also a small possibility of a vacuum leak (which you say you checked for already, but again peace of mind). Double check the lower PCV connection under the middle of the factory intake tube, that 90 degree fitting sometimes cracks/breaks and leaks downstream of your MAF.

Test Kit Test Kit

Right now, I suspect it's just those O2 sensors you got in there. The million dollar question is why your originals failed to begin with, if everything is bone stock they should last a very long time. How many miles are on your Z? Also which specific year/trim do you have, and AT or MT? Based on the pictures you provided, it looks like you have a 2003-2005?

Cheers
-Icer

Last edited by icer5160; 02-12-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 04:36 PM
Charlie_sam

Originally Posted by icer5160
Hi Charlie,

Usually if the CATs are the issue you will get a P0430 or P0431. The white smoke is concerning though. This could be related to the fuel trims. The Sensor 2 (S2) data should be reading high, that is normal, this means you have very little unburnt fuel exiting your cats. The Sensor 1 (S1) data is what is concerning. This should be as close to 0% as possible, but your scanner is showing 10.9% on bank (B1) and 5.5% on bank 2 (B2), indicating your PCM is calling for more fuel. Virtually all the sensors on these engines should only be replaced with OEM (Cam Sensors, Crank Sensors, MAF, and O2). You mentioned you tried 1A auto and now have Bosch 15667 upstream wideband sensors (2005+ 350Zs). The OEM sensor mfg is Denso and I believe most of the sensors on Nissans use Denso. Sorry to say, but I think you need to pull those Bosch sensors and get the appropriate Denso/OEM units (about $120.00~150.00 each! Yikes!).

Denso Direct Unit

Nissan OEM (Same as Denso I think)

Regarding the white smoke, for peace of mind, I would get a combustion gas test kit and try that out. You might have a very minor head gasket leak, but since both banks are indicating higher than normal short term trim levels I suspect a sensor malfunction. There's also a small possibility of a vacuum leak (which you say you checked for already, but again peace of mind). Double check the lower PCV connection under the middle of the factory intake tube, that 90 degree fitting sometimes cracks/breaks and leaks downstream of your MAF.

Test Kit

Right now, I suspect it's just those O2 sensors you got in there. The million dollar question is why your originals failed to begin with, if everything is bone stock they should last a very long time. How many miles are on your Z? Also which specific year/trim do you have, and AT or MT? Based on the pictures you provided, it looks like you have a 2003-2005?

Cheers
-Icer
thanks for the info Icer im not completely sure why they gave up ive had other codes before and a engine problem, the first was P0304 it was a misfire and it was bad and i took it to a mechanic and after FIXED he said it was a wiring problem then sooner later ive gotten the code P0430 i don’t know what this code exactly what it really means but something about the CAT something you mention :/ idon’t know if the past had an effect on the car now but i change the o2 sensor for downstream then later change the upstream ones for aftermarket then i got a code for that! -> p1168 a code for a wire shorted or bad connection so i i got used OEM upstream same code problem so thats when i bought 1A AUTO o2 sensors then i thought it wasn’t reading right it gave me this code i have now P1283 so now i have Botch it took 2 day of driving to get the code, to get the code but for 1A auto o2 it took one day
-my model is Base Manual and 187k+ miles when the car idles its pretty heavy my next move is fuel injectors if it doesn’t help or does ill let you guys know it might not work idk :/ thanks for the info Icer. Can i use NTK? Is is good like denso?

Last edited by Charlie_sam; 02-12-2021 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-12-2021, 07:34 PM
icer5160

Received 442 Likes on 337 Posts

Yes, if you had a misfire condition in the past and if left unchecked for an extended period of time, that could cause your CATs to fail early. That being said, you have a high mileage vehicle (you never mention the year btw) and sensors or cats failing isn't uncommon. Most likely the sensors were damaged from this wiring fault your mechanic described. Did you get a detailed work order from the mechanic? I'm curious to know exactly what was done to resolve your misfire issue. Since your vehicle is higher mileage, it's very common for misfires to start when cam positiion and crank position sensors fail (perhaps he simply replaced those?).

It sounds like you replaced your upstream sensors without any codes being present? I assume you did this as preventative maintenance? Just get the OEM units in there. Don't mess around with aftermarket. The Nissan ECM/PCM is very picky about these sensors. If you're serious about moving forward with replacing the fuel injectors, I think OEM (which are either Hitachi or Bosch) would be the best way to go, but you should be ok with aftermarket in this area, just make sure they are direct drop in replacements. Lot's of guys put larger injectors in their Zs, but these require fuel map tuning to function properly. I recommend getting the compatible Hitachi or Bosch P/N vs. purchasing from Nissan direct. The Nissan P/N is over $150 a piece new! Note: The year of your Z does matter when concerning both the Injectors and Upstream O2 sensors. It looks like there was a change between 2004 and 2005 model years.

Injector P/Ns...
BOSCH 62128 is for 2005-2006 (I suspect for the RevUp VQ35DE)
HITACHI
FIJ0020 is for 2003-2004.

Note: I'm not an expert when it comes to the injectors, I just gathered this from doing some basic online research. I've never looked closely at my 06 RevUp injectors to see who the mfg is. Additional homework required, just get quality parts if you go aftermarket. Not some cheap junk from the large chain parts stores.

Good Luck!
-Icer

Old 02-12-2021, 09:06 PM
Charlie_sam

Originally Posted by icer5160
Yes, if you had a misfire condition in the past and if left unchecked for an extended period of time, that could cause your CATs to fail early. That being said, you have a high mileage vehicle (you never mention the year btw) and sensors or cats failing isn't uncommon. Most likely the sensors were damaged from this wiring fault your mechanic described. Did you get a detailed work order from the mechanic? I'm curious to know exactly what was done to resolve your misfire issue. Since your vehicle is higher mileage, it's very common for misfires to start when cam positiion and crank position sensors fail (perhaps he simply replaced those?).

It sounds like you replaced your upstream sensors without any codes being present? I assume you did this as preventative maintenance? Just get the OEM units in there. Don't mess around with aftermarket. The Nissan ECM/PCM is very picky about these sensors. If you're serious about moving forward with replacing the fuel injectors, I think OEM (which are either Hitachi or Bosch) would be the best way to go, but you should be ok with aftermarket in this area, just make sure they are direct drop in replacements. Lot's of guys put larger injectors in their Zs, but these require fuel map tuning to function properly. I recommend getting the compatible Hitachi or Bosch P/N vs. purchasing from Nissan direct. The Nissan P/N is over $150 a piece new! Note: The year of your Z does matter when concerning both the Injectors and Upstream O2 sensors. It looks like there was a change between 2004 and 2005 model years.

Injector P/Ns...
BOSCH 62128 is for 2005-2006 (I suspect for the RevUp VQ35DE)
HITACHI
FIJ0020 is for 2003-2004.

Note: I'm not an expert when it comes to the injectors, I just gathered this from doing some basic online research. I've never looked closely at my 06 RevUp injectors to see who the mfg is. Additional homework required, just get quality parts if you go aftermarket. Not some cheap junk from the large chain parts stores.

Good Luck!
-Icer
thanks for the help Icer im yeah i change my upstream o2 sensors with after market for i won’t have a code in the future but turns out your right i can’t use poor aftermarket parts good new i got my fuel injectors just need to install them heres the photos of them.. hopefully it changes to good progress ill let you guys know oh and my car year is an 04 DE. after three days of driving while having the P1283 I get the code P1273 stating
-a/f sensor 1 bank 1
-fuel punk
this is what made me check fuel pressure but it seems okay :/

Last edited by Charlie_sam; 02-12-2021 at 09:17 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 10:11 PM
nick253smith

I’m having the same codes on my 05 rev up. I got a cheap set of used oem injectors off eBay that I’m having cleaned and flow tested. I also did primary o2. I went with denso from rockauto for 80$ each. Bosh has many people saying it’s a no go on the g for o2. Im on up rev, my tuner suggested I do plugs and coil packs along with the injectors. I’m also going to do all intake gaskets.
Old 03-09-2021, 08:38 PM
Charlie_sam

Originally Posted by nick253smith
I’m having the same codes on my 05 rev up. I got a cheap set of used oem injectors off eBay that I’m having cleaned and flow tested. I also did primary o2. I went with denso from rockauto for 80$ each. Bosh has many people saying it’s a no go on the g for o2. Im on up rev, my tuner suggested I do plugs and coil packs along with the injectors. I’m also going to do all intake gaskets.
anything new did the light came back or is it good?
Old 03-09-2021, 08:55 PM
nick253smith

I got hitachi coils from concept z, they priced matched rockauto. I also got plugs from them. I have a ported lower plenum, mrev2, and a Crawford v5 upper plenum with thermal gaskets coming in a few days. I just had a oem eBay set of injectors cleaned and flow tested ready to install. I’m going to do it all at once to see if there’s a change. If that doesn’t fix it, I’ll be doing a compression/leak down test.
Old 03-09-2021, 09:13 PM
Charlie_sam

I got hitachi coils from concept z, they priced matched rockauto. I also got plugs from them. I have a ported lower plenum, mrev2, and a Crawford v5 upper plenum with thermal gaskets coming in a few days. I just had a oem eBay set of injectors cleaned and flow tested ready to install. I’m going to do it all at once to see if there’s a change. If that doesn’t fix it, I’ll be doing a compression/leak down test.
Thats nice your going all out on the intake but question is it common for the intake manifold to leak? Not the lower plenum but underneath that? Can that be were i might have a leak ? My Z is completely stock but well not anymore i added a Z1 cold air intake but it shouldn’t be that i check all cups
Old 03-09-2021, 09:19 PM
nick253smith

Gaskets go bad over time. It’s not super common to have a cracked or leaking manifold; though it does happen. You can have the intake system smoke tested at your local shop
Old 03-09-2021, 09:31 PM
Charlie_sam

Gaskets go bad over time. It’s not super common to have a cracked or leaking manifold; though it does happen. You can have the intake system smoke tested at your local shop
thats a pretty good idea can they also use the smoke tester on the exhaust manifold
Old 03-10-2021, 11:30 AM
nick253smith

Just did coils and plugs. It helped a little. My o2s are within 6% of each other now. Just waiting on the intake stuff to get here so I can do that and injectors all at once.