Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

2006 Nissan 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 05:18 PM
ErickBurleson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Nissan 350Z

So I have a question… my 350Z has had a quiet ticking, not loud at all so I did not think it was anything too serious. It kept doing it, my friend told me that it was an injector tick, which was normal so I didn’t pay it any attention. Well it kept doing it, worse on a cold start, so I thought maybe it was because I needed my oil changed, maybe the oil lost it’s viscosity and needed to be changed, but once I got the oil changed and left, it continued. Was driving the speed limit which was 55, the ticking got significantly louder, and faster, it kept getting louder, almost seemed like I was losing power a little bit, but I could still accelerate, but due to me being worried I turned my hazards on and drove slow, and even driving slow the ticking got louder, and then it felt like a combustion, almost like I was jerked in the car, but I checked my rear view and nothing came out from underneath the car, the car was running, but the gas pedal didn’t work AT all, it felt normal as far as stiffness, but didn’t rev, or nothing, it literally did NOTHING, I lost all power steering, but all of my lights and stuff worked, literally all I could do at that point is man it over to the side of the road and brake, literally could only break in that car, since then I have tried to turn it over, all lights and everything are working even the radio in the car is working, but it won’t even turn over, it does NOTHING, except a little click that sounds like a battery, but it’s not the battery… cause everything else works… i took a socket and tried to spin it to see if the motor was locked, and couldn’t spin it, so don’t know if I wasn’t spinning it hard enough or what, but I need someone that is mechanically knowledgeable to help me out!
Old 12-13-2021, 06:39 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

#1- Check your oil level on flat ground. If you see any oil on it there's hope.
#2- If you're gonna try to rule out a locked motor put a brick/stone behind the wheels and put the shifter in neutral. Gl!
Old 12-13-2021, 07:24 PM
AxionZ

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

The car is throttle by wire so if the ecu is ignoring the pedal input the car won't respond. How much time/miles elapsed from when you first noticed it? Might have to drop the oil pan.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:50 AM
icer5160

Received 441 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by jhc
#1- Check your oil level on flat ground. If you see any oil on it there's hope.
#2- If you're gonna try to rule out a locked motor put a brick/stone behind the wheels and put the shifter in neutral. Gl!
Do #1, #2 couldn't hurt either if you're attempting to turn over engine with crank pulley bolt.

Regarding the starter click, this is usually caused by a dead battery. But after reading your post and what you're describing. It sounds like your engine is locked up. I assume the battery is good and the starter was working perfectly fine earlier that day. Event sequence recap...Started with quiet ticking, turned into loud ticking, then knocking, followed by loud bang noise, resulting in engine stalling/quitting and unable to restart (turn-over).

If you're not able to diagnose this yourself, have mobile mechanic have a look if you can't afford to get it towed to a shop.
Good Luck!
-Icer
The following users liked this post:
ErickBurleson (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 12:21 PM
ErickBurleson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Checked the oil today on flat ground, and it was full, right where it needs to be. So put a brick behind the back tire, and put it in neutral what does that do?
Old 12-17-2021, 07:24 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by ErickBurleson
Checked the oil today on flat ground, and it was full, right where it needs to be. So put a brick behind the back tire, and put it in neutral what does that do?
It keeps you safe so you can place a 22mm (?) socket on the crank pulley bolt and turn the engine over by hand to rule out engine-seize.
Old 12-26-2021, 07:49 PM
Syner

Received 829 Likes on 646 Posts

Jesus. This read like a meth-fueled ramble.

*checks location

Par for the course right there, buds.
The following users liked this post:
jhc (12-31-2021)
Old 12-29-2021, 07:17 PM
g0lfball3R

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by AxionZ
The car is throttle by wire so if the ecu is ignoring the pedal input the car won't respond. How much time/miles elapsed from when you first noticed it? Might have to drop the oil pan.
so that’s what that auto trans “stalling” was about. I just took over an 08’ hr w/ auto & had it stall & just restarted in park. Gave up an 06 revup m/t over worsening oil consumption & crappy treatment by previous owner.