Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Got side swiped!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 07:42 PM
alexj74

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got side swiped!!

Traveling on a three lane road just about to cross an intersection when someone travelling the opposite way pulled in front of me trying to make a left hand turn. Will I ever get my Z back to its original state after fixing it? The steering also got damage but it only seems to be body work. Hopefully no frame damage. What do you guys think?
Attached Thumbnails Got side swiped!!-15.gif  
Old 02-25-2004, 08:07 PM
havabooz

nasty..doesnt seem to be anything more than body damage...i would hope his insurance is paying...cause thats gonna cost around 2500 or more if your rear fender is also damaged..is the front bumper OK?...wheel looks damaged too what about headlight

silverstones havnt been having good luck

but yeh...it should be back to normal if not better
Old 02-25-2004, 08:52 PM
ZilvahZ

Awww man that is a painfull sight to see..glad your ok. That sux big time. The fix should be fine.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:06 PM
alexj74

Luckily a cop witnessed the entire incident and slapped the guy with a citation. His insurance will have to pay for it. The front bumper has minor scratches and the rear quarter also suffered some nasty blows. I hope the paintjob will match the rest of the car. I just want to forget about the whole thing and hope the fix will have my car back like new. There's a myth about a wrecked car never being the same after fixing it............ Hope this wont be the case.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:29 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ussually only true if the frame is bend, or engine is touched. you have a few body panels needed, but beyond that, shouldnt be a problem. not like its never gonna drive in a straight line again.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:32 PM
EL Diablo

Sorry to hear it. I know how you feel
My TRACK is in the shop right now getting repaired for much less damage than you have. The Z is expensive to Fix.

Choosing a shop is the most important part now.

If you have your Z fixed at a GREAT shop your Z will look as good as new. Otherwise it's a crap shoot. It's best if they have experience with Z's. The shop my Z is at had close to a dozen Z's in the shop. They are sorta known as the place to take your Z. I know a Z that was just as smacked up as yours that was repaired and you cant tell anything ever happened.
I would make sure every damaged part is replaced with a brand new OEM part.

I know it Sux but Dont worry.

Can you say Body Kit ?
Old 02-25-2004, 09:41 PM
alexj74

ares: your statement makes sense. There wasn't any engine damage at all and I am almost sure the frame is untouched from just looking at the visual damage.

El Diablo: I will defenetly get a reputable shop do the work since the other guy will have to pay for it. A body kit would be sweet, do you think his insurance will accept if I put on a body kit? Or will that be money out of my pocket?
Old 02-26-2004, 04:25 AM
h2oskier177

FFFFFFF CAL TRANS and SEMI's...... I hit a piece of semi seperated tire tread on the I-15 (s) @3:30 AM, didn't see it til the last minute and tried to serve to miss, well my right front tire caught it , so my whole right front airdam in crushed in, my right front splash guard disenagrated. Even the windshield wiper fluid reservior bottom broken. My poor 04 Daytona Blue Z....... USAA to the rescue, probably OOC for a few weeks, fortunately seems to be no mechanical damage.......
Old 02-26-2004, 05:53 AM
ElBombastico

Default Re: Got side swiped!!

Originally posted by alexj74
Traveling on a three lane road just about to cross an intersection when someone travelling the opposite way pulled in front of me trying to make a left hand turn. Will I ever get my Z back to its original state after fixing it? The steering also got damage but it only seems to be body work. Hopefully no frame damage. What do you guys think?
uh-oh, better get Maaco! j/k. That sucks man, but its looks like its only body damage so the car should be fine if the insurance pays for it.

Lucky for you that cop was there. where was the cop? behind you? shooting the radar gun?
Old 02-26-2004, 07:42 AM
Montez

Man sorry to see this but it looks like its only Body damage, I estimate that to be about 5,000's worth of damage(maybe more I cant really tell what the damage is on the rear section behind the door). Hell my estimate for our 03 Maxima was 1,650 just for a front fender.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:08 AM
alexj74

The cop was sitting two cars behind on the right side of the intersection. Still waiting to settle with the other guy's insurance. Did process a claim through mine but it seems more logical to have his pay for the damage directly so I don't have to come up the deductible upfront. Do you guys know how long the entire process takes? It's a little cold to be riding my motorcycle around in Denver........but it's my only solution.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:11 AM
cincyspider

Wow...I'm impressed.

Why didn't the cop arrest you??? I mean....you DID FN kill the azzhole didn't you??

Why do we let stupid people live?
Old 02-26-2004, 11:22 AM
EL Diablo

You cant have the Insurance pay for a body kit but you can save some cash to have one put on while your Z is being repaired.

That's what I am doing. My bumper was damaged so instead of getting an OEM I am getting the NISMO one. I am getting a carbon fiber one and paying the difference. The Fiberglass one is the same price as OEM. Since the shop is already painting they are able to give me a great discount to spray the kit. in the end the insurance company is not paying for my kit but I am saving hundreds of dollars I otherwise wouldnt.
So if you were thinking about getting a kit now is an excellent time to consider it.
Good luck.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:12 PM
alexj74

EL Diablo: Thanks for the advice. Wasn't really looking into modding my car from the outside (FI was supposed to be next) but your statement totally makes sense. What are the most popular kits out there? I'm going to have to do some research but wouldn't mind gettign some opinions.

Cincyspider: Was really close to wringing the little ****'s neck but decided to keep my calm and let the cops deal with him. Having the cops putting him at fault is the best way to get my Z back without paying a penny.
Old 02-26-2004, 03:07 PM
Donald0730

Check for any suspension damages.

My cousin backed up into my front right fender on my old car. He was backing up pretty slow but it caused some major damage. They said it would be $300 to replace the front right suspension. I didn't care about the fender damage. If your steering wheel is straight but it still pulls hard left or right then U've got a big problem.

That totally sucks.
Old 02-26-2004, 04:39 PM
VQ35DES

When I crashed my parents Mitsu it was on the same side. Didnt look like it would be totaled, but considering how old the car was (and the fact that its a mitsu) it had so much internal & frame damage we let it go.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:37 PM
alexj74

Donald0730: The steering is all jacked up. The tie rod is bent from what I see and they are going to have to re-align all four wheel after fixing the steering linkage/suspension.

VQ35DES: I just about fell ill when I read your post. Do you think there could be any internal/frame damage. How hard were you hit? My crash was more like a deep scrape along the side and wasn't really a collision.
Old 02-27-2004, 12:46 AM
xray2

Originally posted by alexj74
Donald0730: The steering is all jacked up. The tie rod is bent from what I see and they are going to have to re-align all four wheel after fixing the steering linkage/suspension.

VQ35DES: I just about fell ill when I read your post. Do you think there could be any internal/frame damage. How hard were you hit? My crash was more like a deep scrape along the side and wasn't really a collision.
Well, it is a unibody so in high stress points, where welds are made and things epoxied then they will move with the force.