Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

S1 Sequential Shifter

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2022, 03:50 PM
dduaime

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S1 Sequential Shifter

Hello, Has anyone ever installed the S1 Sequential Shifter kit in their 350Z?
I would like to see the final result and what are the minor modifications to be made...

Thanks!
The following users liked this post:
Skid Mark (12-05-2022)
Old 03-31-2022, 02:29 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,285 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by dduaime
I would like to see the final result and what are the minor modifications to be made...

Thanks!
No experience with S1 but it seems pretty solid from what I've seen/watched. Try YouTube for some informative info on it.

Alternative: Coolerworx Shifter. I've driven on this one and its solid. (Not to mention it costs about a third of the cost of the S1)

Thing I question about a sequential shifter (on a CDXXX - or any street driven manual trans) is that you still have to use the clutch - unlike using a crash box - and I wonder about how much faster you can shift with a sequential shifter if you're still declutching with each shift. No clue.

At least in my limited drive time with the Coolerworx unit, it still goes through the H pattern (but way closer between gears) so the declutch (or double clutching) still works great due to the slight "lag" between gears. And double clutch/heel/toe downshifting is still the way to go unless you go with a straight cut gearbox (for the track).

Since I don't track anymore (never have - but once - with "modern" Z), I wouldn't hesitate installing the Coolerworx (or other equal) if/when I swap transmissions to later model 9 or A. I'm a firm believer in combining efforts and upgrading stuff when replacing parts. Read: too lazy otherwise. Laff.

Just my random thoughts. Not even $.02 worth.

EDIT: Went looking for aftermarket short shifters - there's the usual "cut shaft" models, guessing not much gain (BTDT with other cars). No one (of the usual sources) seems to sell the Coolerworx unit but they do sell units from B&M, Hurst, which makes sense despite their backgrounds in hot roddism. Thoughts on either of those? Not clamoring to buy one as my stock unit is fine for my use; but it might be something to consider.

Last edited by MicVelo; 03-31-2022 at 03:36 PM.
Old 03-31-2022, 08:20 PM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

Reading the description from the S1 site makes me wonder why a Z owner would drop near $2K for it. Unless you have problems shifting the Z33's superb six=speed, I doubt the S1 will actually aid shifter performance. Just my $0.02 based on my experience with dog ring gearboxes with straight-cut gears.
Old 04-01-2022, 03:06 PM
dduaime

Thank you for your response and your experience!
But my goal is not to save time when shifting and money is not an issue for this car.
It's my weekend car and I just wanted to get the feel of a sequential transmission, even though I have to use the clutch to change gears.
I want to keep my original interior. That's why I'd like to find someone who has it installed in their 350Z before.
Old 04-02-2022, 05:29 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,305 Likes on 905 Posts

A true sequential shifter is a different animal from a syncromesh tranny like the Z33 uses. The only place I've seen them in use is a full out racecar. In the 19 years I've owned mine, I've never seen anyone purchase this add-on kit.

Still not sure why you'd want to install this kit. The tactile response from the six-speed is superb (better than some racing gearboxes IMO) and you'll rob yourself of that feeling. Trying to be different? Not if it doesn't substantially improve the function of the car. There's plenty of areas to spend money and improve or modify your Z, but just not sure this is one of them.

Last edited by dkmura; 04-02-2022 at 05:36 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by dkmura:
Aeneas137 (04-05-2023), MicVelo (04-02-2022)
Old 04-02-2022, 12:17 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,285 Likes on 2,337 Posts

Originally Posted by dkmura
A true sequential shifter is a different animal from a syncromesh tranny like the Z33 uses. The only place I've seen them in use is a full out racecar. In the 19 years I've owned mine, I've never seen anyone purchase this add-on kit.

Still not sure why you'd want to install this kit. The tactile response from the six-speed is superb (better than some racing gearboxes IMO) and you'll rob yourself of that feeling. Trying to be different? Not if it doesn't substantially improve the function of the car. There's plenty of areas to spend money and improve or modify your Z, but just not sure this is one of them.
Word.

Word!

WORD!!!!!
Old 04-02-2022, 02:37 PM
dduaime

Originally Posted by dkmura

My Z33 has already modified on many part. I'm not looking to be told where to spend my money. The question was clear. I'm looking for someone who has done this modification before.
And what has nothing to do with a true sequential transmission. It is obvious.
The gearshift won't get better or worse, that's not the point. It's just another way to change the gears.
So!
Anyone have pictures?
Old 04-03-2022, 08:25 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,126 Likes on 6,579 Posts

Google it. Like Dk and mic said, useless since you still have to use clutch pedal

Last edited by travlee; 04-03-2022 at 09:06 AM.
Aeneas137 (04-05-2023)
Old 12-05-2022, 08:03 PM
Skid Mark

Default S1 Sequential

Originally Posted by dduaime

Thanks!
Hi, I would like a bit of feedback on this issue as well.
I am thinking about putting one in my track car. The car is a dedicated track car and unregisterable.
I have used it at Mt Panorama and in the rush of blood trying to do a fast downchange from 5th, have found myself in 2nd gear, and about 7000rpm.
A sequential shifter would solve that issue.
I don't care about the fact that you still need to use the clutch, double shuffle or heal/toe.
I just don't want to miss gear changes.
Aeneas137 (04-05-2023)