Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Belt or pulley Squeak??

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2022, 11:27 PM
Arod_562

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Belt or pulley Squeak??

Gonna be replacing my serpentine belt tomorrow cause im pretty sure this squeak/squeal is coming from the belt. Or maybe its from a pulley? What do you guys think 🤔 lol
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0603.MOV (12.75 MB, 9 views)
Old 05-07-2022, 11:29 PM
Arod_562

Originally Posted by Arod_562
Gonna be replacing my serpentine belt tomorrow cause im pretty sure this squeak/squeal is coming from the belt. Or maybe its from a pulley? What do you guys think 🤔 lol
here is the same video but a little longer cause for some reason i cant upload videos that are more than 5 seconds here lol
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0604.MOV (18.32 MB, 11 views)
Old 05-08-2022, 06:13 AM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

I couldn't open the file. A better way to upload MP4s is post on YT and paste the link here. Since you're replacing the serpentine belt, spin each pulley by hand before putting your new belt on. You don't state your mileage but if one is hard to turn or feels like it has rocks inside I'd replace it. It's still cheaper than getting stuck on the side of the road. Also check your alternator and ps pump.
Old 05-08-2022, 09:02 AM
Arod_562

Originally Posted by Arod_562
here is the same video but a little longer cause for some reason i cant upload videos that are more than 5 seconds here lol
^ okay i posted it on youtube so should be able to open it from their 👍🏽 Its an 07 350z Hr with 80,000 miles
Old 05-08-2022, 09:04 AM
Arod_562

Originally Posted by jhc
I couldn't open the file. A better way to upload MP4s is post on YT and paste the link here. Since you're replacing the serpentine belt, spin each pulley by hand before putting your new belt on. You don't state your mileage but if one is hard to turn or feels like it has rocks inside I'd replace it. It's still cheaper than getting stuck on the side of the road. Also check your alternator and ps pump.
yes i just uploaded it to youtube above ^ but i think its just the belt but always like to ask peoples opinion on the forums first before i ever do anything lol tomorrow i will be taking the belt off and inspecting the pulleys as well
Old 05-09-2022, 05:49 AM
khnitz

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

I recently had to resolve a squeaking/squealing belt on another vehicle and came across a "baby powder" tip. If you puff some baby (talcum) powder around the belt while it is making noise and the noise goes away, then the belt is the source of the noise.

On that other vehicle, I had installed a new belt and tensioner, but heard a slight squeaking at <2000 rpm after the installation. At first, I thought I had been unlucky and got a bad new tensioner pulley out of the box, but the squeaking/squealing was still there with the 2nd pulley. After disconvering the baby powder check online, I decided to work on the belt, instead. Maybe the belt had sat too long on a warehouse shelf and hardened or something, I dunno. I wound up taking off the belt, cleaning all pulley surfaces with carb cleaner and a toothbrush, and then also cleaning the belt with carb cleaner and a brush on both sides. Lastly, I took some 250grit sandpaper and lightly scuffed up the tensioner pulley surface (it was a smooth pulley) and cleaned it off again. Once reassembled, the squeaking/squealing was gone.
Old 05-09-2022, 04:35 PM
Arod_562

Originally Posted by khnitz
I recently had to resolve a squeaking/squealing belt on another vehicle and came across a "baby powder" tip. If you puff some baby (talcum) powder around the belt while it is making noise and the noise goes away, then the belt is the source of the noise.

On that other vehicle, I had installed a new belt and tensioner, but heard a slight squeaking at <2000 rpm after the installation. At first, I thought I had been unlucky and got a bad new tensioner pulley out of the box, but the squeaking/squealing was still there with the 2nd pulley. After disconvering the baby powder check online, I decided to work on the belt, instead. Maybe the belt had sat too long on a warehouse shelf and hardened or something, I dunno. I wound up taking off the belt, cleaning all pulley surfaces with carb cleaner and a toothbrush, and then also cleaning the belt with carb cleaner and a brush on both sides. Lastly, I took some 250grit sandpaper and lightly scuffed up the tensioner pulley surface (it was a smooth pulley) and cleaned it off again. Once reassembled, the squeaking/squealing was gone.
Yeah i also learned that if you spray water on the belt and the squeaking goes away then its forsure the belt making the noise. The watwr will act as a lubricant and stop the noise from the belt for a couple seconds then the noise would come back. Replaced new belt and no more noise haha but now im getting this rubber smell coming from the belt area. Its not a burning smell just smells like rubber lol im guessing this is the belt breaking in? I triple checked that all the grooves were lined up and everything so im thinking the smell will go away after some run time well i hope lol have you experienced this? Or anyone else on the forum here
The following users liked this post:
khnitz (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 05:48 PM
jhc
General & Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,595 Posts

If you smell rubber from the driver's seat with engine off you have an excellent nose. If it's only with the engine on, it's probably a little loose.
Find the longest span between 2 pulleys, grab a tape measure. Push down hard (engine off) with your hand/knuckles and measure how far you can deflect the belt. General rule- it shouldn't be more than 3/4" or
about 14mm. Or just drive it 2 weeks.and see if it still smells.
The following users liked this post:
Arod_562 (05-09-2022)