Notices
Engine & Drivetrain VQ Power and Delivery

Belt slip and coming off pulley

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2020, 03:43 PM
calvin.w

Received 77 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Belt slip and coming off pulley

I have a VQ35HR and recently had to replace the gallery gasket (the Z's greatest flaw).
I put everything back together and the new belt was giving an ear bleeding screech. After a while, it stopped.
Then I noticed the belt was trying to come off the power steering pulley and the alternator pulley. Which in turn ficked up the belt.
So after another belt, if i try to take off fast, the belt would slip (I know because the slip light comes on) and try coming off the p/s pulley again but stayed on the alt pulley. Also when I race on the highway at high rpm it'll try slipping off the pulley again.
I did a lot of research and maybe it could be the tensioner? The pulley on it does wobble a bit when the belt is off.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Old 01-17-2020, 03:59 PM
813_350Z

Received 318 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by calvin.w
I have a VQ35HR and recently had to replace the gallery gasket (the Z's greatest flaw).
I put everything back together and the new belt was giving an ear bleeding screech. After a while, it stopped.
Then I noticed the belt was trying to come off the power steering pulley and the alternator pulley. Which in turn ficked up the belt.
So after another belt, if i try to take off fast, the belt would slip (I know because the slip light comes on) and try coming off the p/s pulley again but stayed on the alt pulley. Also when I race on the highway at high rpm it'll try slipping off the pulley again.
I did a lot of research and maybe it could be the tensioner? The pulley on it does wobble a bit when the belt is off.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Your slip light does not tell you that your belt is slipping.... *facepalm*

Try tightening down your tensioner and you pulley. Check the FSM and ensure you have the amount of belt deflection that is within factory spec. If not, tighten it until you do and don't forget to re-torque the bolt on the front of the pulley.

If that don't work then replace your tensioner.
The following users liked this post:
jhc (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020, 04:55 PM
calvin.w

I'm no mechanic and I'm still learning!
So what's belt deflection? And could it be that it's just a cheap belt?
Old 01-17-2020, 05:09 PM
813_350Z

I'm no mechanic and I'm still learning!
So what's belt deflection? And could it be that it's just a cheap belt?
Fair enough, I though we were being trolled lol

Belt deflection helps you to measure how much tension is on your serpentine belts. Since most people are not going to go out and buy a gauge for it, an easy way to tell if you have enough tension is to located the span of belt between the power steering pump and the pulley just to its right. Locate the center of the span and twist it. If you can twist it about a half turn (straight up and down) then you will be good. If you can turn it less than half turn, back then tension off because you have too much and you risk burning up the belt and placing strain on other components. If you can turn it more than a half turn, you have too little tension and need to tighten the belt up. Too little tension will cause the belt to squeal (as in your case) as it does not have enough friction between itself and the pulley and, therefore, slips. Way too little tension will also cause it to jump track and get shredded.

Since this is your second belt then I doubt it is the belt, I just do not believe you are tightening it enough. Also, be sure the belt is seated properly on the pulleys and completely on track. Failing to do so can causing it to jump and be ripped apart.
Old 01-17-2020, 05:13 PM
rustyschopshop

Received 374 Likes on 280 Posts

I seized or bad bearing on one of the pulleys can do the same thing
Old 01-18-2020, 02:35 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,124 Likes on 6,577 Posts

A belt slipping off is an upcoming event?

Jeebus
Old 01-18-2020, 03:30 AM
813_350Z

The belt is coming up and off the pulley
Old 01-18-2020, 07:17 AM
calvin.w

Originally Posted by 813_350Z
Fair enough, I though we were being trolled lol

Belt deflection helps you to measure how much tension is on your serpentine belts. Since most people are not going to go out and buy a gauge for it, an easy way to tell if you have enough tension is to located the span of belt between the power steering pump and the pulley just to its right. Locate the center of the span and twist it. If you can twist it about a half turn (straight up and down) then you will be good. If you can turn it less than half turn, back then tension off because you have too much and you risk burning up the belt and placing strain on other components. If you can turn it more than a half turn, you have too little tension and need to tighten the belt up. Too little tension will cause the belt to squeal (as in your case) as it does not have enough friction between itself and the pulley and, therefore, slips. Way too little tension will also cause it to jump track and get shredded.

Since this is your second belt then I doubt it is the belt, I just do not believe you are tightening it enough. Also, be sure the belt is seated properly on the pulleys and completely on track. Failing to do so can causing it to jump and be ripped apart.
thanks bro, I think you answered my problem. It was actually loose!
well you live you learn
Old 01-18-2020, 08:36 AM
813_350Z

thanks bro, I think you answered my problem. It was actually loose!
well you live you learn
You're welcome! Glad you were able to get it sorted out.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:13 AM
calvin.w

Default Happening again!

Hey guys I'm back to this thread again, unfortunately.
now the belt still wants to slide off the ps pulley. I replaced the tensioner, however I think I might have put it on BACKWARDS (facepalm x10).
It's an auto tensioner, so how does it go on? With the "nipple" part facing out or facing towards the vvt cover?