Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

PLEASE HELP GUYS! 2003 350z

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 12:48 PM
Marcisito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PLEASE HELP GUYS! 2003 350z

It’s been about a month of this problem with my car and im officially stuck and stumped. At first my SES light came on and my car would stop and turn off suddenly and randomly even when driving. I pulled the code and it was the driver side camshaft position sensor (PO345). I had replaced the camshaft sensors with aftermarket parts. After doing that, my car never shut off again but instead everytime I would try to start it would take 3-4 seconds to turn over and start. My TCS OFF and SLIP lights stay on. Then I read in similar forums to replace them with OEM. So I went and replaced the camshaft positions sensors (BANK 1 & 2) with OEM ones from Z1 motor sports. I also replaced the crankshaft position sensor today with OEM Hitachi sensor hoping to finally solve this problem. BUT NOPE. The problem is still there. I also replaced the battery and checked the connector/wiring to the sensor. I have no idea what to do guys. Any ideas? Any help is appreciated
Old 09-27-2022, 02:06 PM
icer5160

Received 441 Likes on 336 Posts

The TCS & SLIP lights both on could be something trivial like low brake fluid, bad wheel speed sensor, or tires that are mismatched or unbalanced. These are quick and easy to check, generally the ABS system is not scanned when using a cheap scanner. Alternatively it could be the CAM and CRANK sensors. I saw one post saying it was their coil packs.

Clear all the stored codes. Drive the vehicle and see what comes back, disconnecting the battery should have done this for you, but some codes are set permanent which requires a scan tool to clear (sometimes a high-end one). There are a large number of faults which can cause this type of behavior. At this point, I would suggest taking it to a shop for a deeper analysis than what we can give through an online forum.

How many miles are on the Z? How does the oil look, is it full? Is this a 6MT or Auto? Has it been modified? What types of mods? Has the factory wiring been messed with (aftermarket radio, remote start, etc.)?

These are all relevant questions to ask yourself. Since it's an 03, I suspect very high mileage. If the oil was not frequently changed or it's an oil burner and was not properly kept topped off, you could have excessive timing chain wear which will really mess with the ECM's electronic ignition & timing leading to misfire codes or CAM/CRANK sensor related codes. I really hope this isn't the case, just guessing here. A good shop with a diag tool that can read live data will be able to help diagnose a potential timing chain issue.

I could be completely wrong, so don't let me set you down a specific path of thought. Electrical faults/shorts can cause issues like this among others. Best to have a pro with some experience on Nissans & VQs troubleshoot the root cause.
Good Luck!
-Icer

Last edited by icer5160; 09-27-2022 at 02:17 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 02:18 PM
Marcisito

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by icer5160
Clear all the stored codes. Drive the vehicle and see what comes back, disconnecting the battery should have done this for you, but some codes are set permanent which requires a scan tool to clear (sometimes a high-end one). There are a large number of faults which can cause this type of behavior. At this point, I would suggest taking it to a shop for a deeper analysis than what we can give through an online forum.

How many miles are on the Z? How does the oil look, is it full? Is this a 6MT or Auto? Has it been modified? What types of mods? Has the factory wiring been messed with (aftermarket radio, remote start, etc.)?

These are all relevant questions to ask yourself. Since it's an 03, I suspect very high mileage. If the oil was not frequently changed or it's an oil burner and was not properly kept topped off, you could have excessive timing chain wear which will really mess with the ECM's electronic ignition & timing leading to misfire codes or CAM/CRANK sensor related codes. I really hope this isn't the case, just guessing here. A good shop with a diag tool that can read live data will be able to help diagnose a potential timing chain issue.

I could be completely wrong, so don't let me set you down a specific path of thought. Electrical faults/shorts can cause issues like this among others. Best to have a pro with some experience on Nissans & VQs troubleshoot the root cause.
Good Luck!
-Icer
Appreciate the insight my man. I guess I just wanted to save money and try to pry this problem out myself but I’ve had no luck. 120,000 on the dash. I do have an aftermarket radio but that’s it. Everything else is stock.
Old 09-27-2022, 03:16 PM
icer5160

Received 441 Likes on 336 Posts

I think you've done the most reasonable/common fix already (replacing CAM and CRANK sensors). Before firing the parts canon again, getting a pro to look at it is the best course of action.
-Icer
The following users liked this post:
khnitz (10-04-2022)