2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

CD009 Trans problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 06:04 AM
My1jz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD009 Trans problems

Hey All!
Like to start off by saying I don't own a 350z or anything Z related for that matter. However I just picked up a 240sx with a 1jz swap and a CD009 6-speed trans.

I'm having a issue that a shop cannot seem to find. When I picked up the car I drove it 3 hours back and it drove fine, 5th gear grinded a bit at higher rpm but that's whatever. When I drove the car the day after for about 15 minutes, at a red light, the car didn't want to go into gear at all. If the car was off it had no problems at ala (the car would also start in any gear I put it in). I had my friends push me to a side road so I could call the tow truck. While the tow truck was on the way I hoped back into the car to try it one more time and it was like the problem never happened. Clutch was fine, doesn't slip, no signs that it was worn out. Brought it to the shop, car wasn't leaking, master cylinder was fine, all that fun stuff. They drove it and it was completely fine as well. They gave me the ok to pick the car up so I did, drove it around 15 minutes and as I put the car into reverse to put the car into the driveway, all the gears left were gone again. Gave the car 15 minutes to cool down, started her back up and the gears were AGAIN there like nothing happened. My first thought was there HAS to be something wrong with the clutch but now I'm being lead to believe that the trans fluid is low which is causing the transmission to overheat and cause too much friction, so that when it does eventually cool down it goes back into gear.

Thanks for taking the time to reads all of this. Rather give too many details than not enough. THANKS
Old 10-05-2022, 07:39 AM
iideadeyeii

Received 452 Likes on 367 Posts

Sounds like the clutch fluid is overheating. Check where the line is routed and if it's getting excessive heat from the exhaust.
I lost my "clutch" on a dyno after a few pulls from this issue
The following 2 users liked this post by iideadeyeii:
khnitz (10-05-2022), nizzan4u2nv (10-05-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 07:49 AM
My1jz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by iideadeyeii
Sounds like the clutch fluid is overheating. Check where the line is routed and if it's getting excessive heat from the exhaust.
I lost my "clutch" on a dyno after a few pulls from this issue
That's interesting, I haven't thought of that. But I figured since I drove it for 3 hours back to my place after I bought it it would've definitely over heated in that time frame. I see a lot of people on other posts saying probably a bad slave cylinder too. Hmmmm
Old 10-06-2022, 06:18 PM
icer5160

Received 441 Likes on 336 Posts

A number of things can cause this behavior. A buddy of mine had the springs in his disk rip apart from hard driving, this caused the pressure plate diaphragm springs to jam up and prevent disengagement. I'm not saying this is your issue, but just be open to other potential causes. To start, I would flush the clutch fluid and replace with DOT4, I did this in my Z and didn't have overheat issues after. Since you're running a custom build, I wouldn't be surprised if your clutch line is routed near something very hot. Definitely get it shielded and run DOT4.

Bonus pics of the damaged clutch disk and pressure plate from my buddy's 300ZXTT.

Disk damage

Piece of spring cage lodged in diaphragm springs

Different angle