Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z coupe no sound from speakers? *Pics*

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2023, 12:40 PM
Tech Territory

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 350z coupe no sound from speakers? *Pics*

hello! I bought this 350 Z recently, and there has been no sound from speakers, I originally thought that was because there was no speakers in the car, so I tore apart the rear speaker assembly, and there are actually speakers! But I am still stumped on why there is no sound coming from them. The previous owner said it was because there is no subwoofer, it originally had the Bose sound system, but they, the previous owner took out the subwoofer, and speakers, and then replaced the speakers with aftermarket ones, any idea why there’s no sound? The model number of my pioneer head unit is AVIC-X910BT.

Head Unit

Rear Speakers with no Sub

Head Unit Macro Lens

Empty Sub Enclosure

Close Up of Speakers
Old 04-17-2023, 05:05 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,096 Likes on 776 Posts

If it originally had Bose and the previous owner took all of those components out and added in aftermarket speakers and amplifier(s), then it could be anything. Start with basic troubleshooting: check the speaker wire/output/rca and remote wire output connections from the head unit, check for continuity at the input to the speakers, verify the speakers work, check the connections at the amplifiers (power, ground, remote).

If the previous owner just simply removed the Bose subwoofer and amplifier and expected everything to work, then that's your problem. There's no signal feeding the speakers from where the OEM amplifier was previously doing that.
Old 04-17-2023, 08:18 AM
TechTerritory

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
If it originally had Bose and the previous owner took all of those components out and added in aftermarket speakers and amplifier(s), then it could be anything. Start with basic troubleshooting: check the speaker wire/output/rca and remote wire output connections from the head unit, check for continuity at the input to the speakers, verify the speakers work, check the connections at the amplifiers (power, ground, remote).

If the previous owner just simply removed the Bose subwoofer and amplifier and expected everything to work, then that's your problem. There's no signal feeding the speakers from where the OEM amplifier was previously doing that.
Okay, So what should I do to get the speakers power? Is there a bose subwoofer wiring adapter so that I can just run it through the harness? Or do I have to get the stock Bose amp and then plug it in? Can I use the amp with no sub?
Old 04-17-2023, 08:29 AM
TechTerritory

Or would I have to buy this to make the speakers work? and then just plug it in where the subwoofer enclosure is? Bose Amp?
Old 04-17-2023, 09:15 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,125 Likes on 6,578 Posts

run new wires from head unit to speakers, bypass the bose stuff
Old 04-17-2023, 09:17 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,125 Likes on 6,578 Posts

bose operates at a off ohm level, like 3 or something. most head units and speakers are 4 ohm. will sound better this way
Old 04-17-2023, 09:34 AM
Heel Til I Die

In stock form, the audio signals from the OEM receiver go to the OEM Bose amplifier in the trunk and that feeds all of the speakers. If the amplifier is removed and the input wires from the head unit to the amplifier are not connected to the input wires to the speakers, then there will be zero sound.

What you need to do is "bridge" the output wires from behind the dash that are routed to the OEM Bose amplifier location to the signal feed wires for the speakers.

There's no sense in reinstalling the OEM Bose components since you've already got the aftermarket head unit and speakers. I have no idea how everything is wired to your head unit other than probably wrong. You can use the pre-existing wiring from the back of the head unit to the speakers, but you need to make sure everything is connected. I also have no idea whether you're using a 4/2/1 channel amplifier to power your speakers.

If there is no amplifier between your head unit and speakers, then it's just a matter of making sure that the pre-existing speaker wire is connected from the appropriate speaker level outputs on the back of the head unit wiring harness to the inputs on all of your speakers.

If you have a 4-channel amplifier, then you can use the RCA outputs on the back of your head unit to feed the signal to the amplifier and connect the pre-existing speaker wires to the amplifier outputs.

I don't recall the speakers being wired in series, so you should be fine as far as resistance/ohms are concerned.

Attached is the relevant portion of the FSM. This is for '05 so the colors may be different, but the terminal locations will be the same. If you don't know how to read a wiring schematic, then it's probably best to take it to a professional.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AV.fm.pdf (708.7 KB, 37 views)
Old 04-18-2023, 09:32 AM
TechTerritory

Talking

In stock form, the audio signals from the OEM receiver go to the OEM Bose amplifier in the trunk and that feeds all of the speakers. If the amplifier is removed and the input wires from the head unit to the amplifier are not connected to the input wires to the speakers, then there will be zero sound.

What you need to do is "bridge" the output wires from behind the dash that are routed to the OEM Bose amplifier location to the signal feed wires for the speakers.

There's no sense in reinstalling the OEM Bose components since you've already got the aftermarket head unit and speakers. I have no idea how everything is wired to your head unit other than probably wrong. You can use the pre-existing wiring from the back of the head unit to the speakers, but you need to make sure everything is connected. I also have no idea whether you're using a 4/2/1 channel amplifier to power your speakers.

If there is no amplifier between your head unit and speakers, then it's just a matter of making sure that the pre-existing speaker wire is connected from the appropriate speaker level outputs on the back of the head unit wiring harness to the inputs on all of your speakers.

If you have a 4-channel amplifier, then you can use the RCA outputs on the back of your head unit to feed the signal to the amplifier and connect the pre-existing speaker wires to the amplifier outputs.

I don't recall the speakers being wired in series, so you should be fine as far as resistance/ohms are concerned.

Attached is the relevant portion of the FSM. This is for '05 so the colors may be different, but the terminal locations will be the same. If you don't know how to read a wiring schematic, then it's probably best to take it to a professional.
Thanks so much guys, what I did is I found the wiring diagrams for the subwoofer plug, and then tore apart the trunk to find the plug, just cut it all the way off, and then soldered the wires together (Entrance --> Exit Wires) and then now all of the wires work, and the sound stage is perfect. thanks so much for helping me out so I dont have to run new wires to the speakers cus thats crazy.
Old 04-18-2023, 10:45 AM
Heel Til I Die

Perfect. Glad to help. You essentially converted the Bose system to the base without the need for the Bose amplifiers to do all the signal processing.

Now you can add whatever aftermarket components with ease!
Old 04-18-2023, 07:49 PM
Tech Territory

Talking

Perfect. Glad to help. You essentially converted the Bose system to the base without the need for the Bose amplifiers to do all the signal processing.

Now you can add whatever aftermarket components with ease!
Thats perfect!
Old 04-19-2023, 07:20 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,280 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Since you have an aftermarket head unit and 4 speakers (or rather 4 channels, since the front channel has two speakers), I'd get a 4 channel amp and run new speaker wire from the 4 channel amp to the speakers. This will sound much better than using the amp built into the deck. Another option is a 5 channel amp and also get a subwoofer.
Old 04-21-2023, 07:28 AM
Tech Territory

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Since you have an aftermarket head unit and 4 speakers (or rather 4 channels, since the front channel has two speakers), I'd get a 4 channel amp and run new speaker wire from the 4 channel amp to the speakers. This will sound much better than using the amp built into the deck. Another option is a 5 channel amp and also get a subwoofer.
What about just getting an alpine double din unit with a powerstack amp?
Old 04-24-2023, 04:58 AM
Heel Til I Die

Those smaller amps are really only necessary if you are doing some type of tablet install that does not have an internal amplifier. Any single or DD receiver will have around 18-22w x 4 RMS which is likely sufficient for stock size speakers. A little amplifier like that only bumps up the power to 50w x 4 RMS.

If you wanted cleaner sound and more power with the flexibility to add a subwoofer in the future, get a 4 + 1 channel amplifier which has full range to the 4 channels and 1 mono channel for a dedicated subwoofer. If you're staying with Alpine, something like the S-A55V or S2-A55V.
Old 04-25-2023, 06:04 AM
Tech Territory

Those smaller amps are really only necessary if you are doing some type of tablet install that does not have an internal amplifier. Any single or DD receiver will have around 18-22w x 4 RMS which is likely sufficient for stock size speakers. A little amplifier like that only bumps up the power to 50w x 4 RMS.

If you wanted cleaner sound and more power with the flexibility to add a subwoofer in the future, get a 4 + 1 channel amplifier which has full range to the 4 channels and 1 mono channel for a dedicated subwoofer. If you're staying with Alpine, something like the S-A55V or S2-A55V.
Huh okay, well thanks so much for the help!