Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Centerlock conversion for 350z

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2023, 08:54 AM
supergtproject

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Centerlock conversion for 350z

Anyone know a company that produces a centerlock conversion kit or a centerlock system that I can purchase for my Z?
Old 07-18-2023, 09:20 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Received 1,299 Likes on 1,023 Posts

I dont think anyone makes one … it the 18years I’ve had my z I’ve never seen one.
Old 07-18-2023, 09:59 AM
supergtproject

They run a centerlock system on the Super GT nismo z33's and I'm going to do the same. Could always purchase a centerlock hub setup from a GT3 Nismo GTR car those come up for sale often but I'd have no idea on how to convert my current system to that.
Old 07-18-2023, 11:00 AM
dkmura
General & DIY Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 1,309 Likes on 909 Posts

As a racer, all I can say is such a conversion would be exorbitantly expensive! But if you're attempting to recreate a Super GT racer, I guess money is no object.
Old 07-18-2023, 12:36 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by supergtproject
They run a centerlock system on the Super GT nismo z33's and I'm going to do the same. Could always purchase a centerlock hub setup from a GT3 Nismo GTR car those come up for sale often but I'd have no idea on how to convert my current system to that.
I’d echo what DK said - you’re essentially looking at a mostly custom setup. To which I say, more power to you! In for results
Old 07-18-2023, 01:22 PM
supergtproject

Yeah It'll be fairly expensive and I'm okay with that, just wanted to know if there were any companies or brands I could reference to purchase the parts from. Maybe some videos or something.
Old 07-18-2023, 03:50 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,298 Likes on 2,346 Posts

This may be dependent upon the specific wheels you plan to run. For example, BBS, Superlite, and a few other mfgrs USED TO offer off the shelf centerlock conversions that didn't just bolt to the stock hubs; instead replacing the entire hub assemblies strictly for competition purposes. Built mostly for Euro cars, e.g., Porsche, BMW.

I don't think I've ever seen a Z conversion kit but then again, never actually looked for them.

One wheel company that used to do centerlock conversions for use with their wheels (not sure if they still exist), Braid wheels or something like that. As I recall, Euro cars only but who knows now?

I would suggest that your best bet in finding anything is to consult a shop that specializes in building competition cars, specifically Z cars. Didn't look at where you are but you might contact Z Car Garage in San Jose, CA or SoCal Z in, well, SoCal. Maybe Z1 would know, further back East (GA?)
The following users liked this post:
supergtproject (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 03:50 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

That. ^ Braid USA makes a conversion adapter. There was a thread or two on it many years ago. It was the cost of the wheels that was the limiting factor back then.

Last edited by mr. sparco; 07-18-2023 at 03:53 PM.
supergtproject (07-18-2023)
Old 07-18-2023, 04:41 PM
supergtproject

LMGT4 Nismo Centerlocks off a GT3 R35 GTR
Old 07-19-2023, 02:19 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

LMGT4 Nismo Centerlocks off a GT3 R35 GTR
Ah, nice wheels. Those were used with the Nismo centerlock hub setup for GTR, not Z33. We're talking about the entire hub assembly with two piece discs, bell assembly etc. A setup like that will require a full caliper conversion as well. Might be something you could source from Nismo but guessing it'll cost about as much as what I sold one of my 33s for.

And, some practical thoughts just occurred to me.... what are you going to use for a spare? And do you have a 6 foot torque wrench? Those mononuts require something like 350ft-lbs TQ.
But if #racecar, none of this matters.
Old 07-19-2023, 03:17 AM
supergtproject

Nismo doesn't sell race car parts to anyone. From what I know you can't just go in and ask for a Centerlock assembly for a GT3 R35 GTR. Parts come up for sale on Raceingjunk every now and then. I don't need spares I'll change tires if need be and I do have a 8ft torque wrench 0_0
Old 07-19-2023, 06:02 AM
GreyZ

Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

I think people are stringing you along a bit because we are interested in the fire.

I dont think you actually want real centerlocks. They will be 35k+.

You want custom adapters that bolt on to the 5x114.3 pattern and accept a high offset centerlock wheel.

Braid has these on the shelf and will run you 3k for the adapters and 3-4k for the wheels.

7-8k and you will have centerlock wheels.
Old 07-19-2023, 02:34 PM
supergtproject

No I want real centerlocks, they won't be 35k but in the event that they end up being 35k I'll spend 35k. I don't want custom adapters, Braid wheels are not my choice as I stated above I'll be running Nismo LMGT4 centerlocks. Mainly just want to see whether or not a company out there produces custom centerlock setups.
Old 07-19-2023, 07:21 PM
DarkZ03

Received 494 Likes on 414 Posts

If you have THAT much money just get a Porsche with centerlocks, it will be miles better than the Z.
Old 07-19-2023, 09:17 PM
mr. sparco

Received 454 Likes on 318 Posts

Maybe OP already has one and wants a supergt project.
bealljk (07-19-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 09:39 PM
bealljk
350Z-holic

No I want real centerlocks
The problem now is that you’ve asked every which way from here to halfway around the world. You have some of the most intelligent and experienced people with longevity on this platform old enough to drink. A. You are not listening and/or B. You will simply ask the question again, to another platform, to another group until you get some overly simplified answer.

they won't be 35k but in the event that they end up being 35k I'll spend 35k.
They wont be $35k because they dont exist (in the form you want)

I don't want custom adapters, Braid wheels are not my choice as I stated above
So if it’s custom adapter or nothing at all? Your choice is nothing at all?

I'll be running Nismo LMGT4 centerlocks.
Just curious? Did you say you have the LMGT4 Centerlocks?

Mainly just want to see whether or not a company out there produces custom centerlock setups.
We answered your question at least four times now …

If I was a dick I’d tell the OP that I see them on Ebay every now and again…

I’ll reformat my answer and say you need to find a suspension shop (or go straight to Nissan/Nismo) that does one-off custom work and have them CNC center locks for you. Tell them you have $35,000 and you’d like a full set of nismo spec center locks.

The next question will be where do I find authentic z33 GT500 Body Kit?

Last edited by bealljk; 07-19-2023 at 09:42 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by bealljk:
MicVelo (07-20-2023), travlee (07-20-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 06:12 AM
GreyZ

Received 175 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by GreyZ
I think people are stringing you along a bit because we are interested in the fire.

I dont think you actually want real centerlocks. They will be 35k+.

You want custom adapters that bolt on to the 5x114.3 pattern and accept a high offset centerlock wheel.

Braid has these on the shelf and will run you 3k for the adapters and 3-4k for the wheels.

7-8k and you will have centerlock wheels.

No I want real centerlocks, they won't be 35k but in the event that they end up being 35k I'll spend 35k. I don't want custom adapters, Braid wheels are not my choice as I stated above I'll be running Nismo LMGT4 centerlocks. Mainly just want to see whether or not a company out there produces custom centerlock setups.
Excellent. This will be fun. You ever have modding dilemmas?

Any 350z that ever came with centerlocks was on a custom chassis so even if you buy the parts used they will not bolt up. You will need to take a 350z upright and take it to a high level custom shop and get custom centerlock hubs designed and machined. It would likely be cheaper if you looked at overseas options in either Japan or Eastern Europe. They have guys doing some real crazy stuff over there. Your going to be looking at many tens of thousands of dollars. You could also reach out to JWT or SPL to see if they have any suggestions on companies that may have worked on it in the past. But I don't think you will find anyone on this forum dropping that kind of money to change their lug nuts. @bmccann101 may have been crazy enough to look at centerlock options. He has one of the more extreme builds here, but I think even he is still on 5x114.3.

Make sure to keep us updated.
The following 4 users liked this post by GreyZ:
bmccann101 (09-04-2023), MicVelo (07-20-2023), supergtproject (07-20-2023), travlee (07-20-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 07:36 AM
supergtproject

Originally Posted by bealljk
The problem now is that you’ve asked every which way from here to halfway around the world. You have some of the most intelligent and experienced people with longevity on this platform old enough to drink. A. You are not listening and/or B. You will simply ask the question again, to another platform, to another group until you get some overly simplified answer.

They wont be $35k because they dont exist (in the form you want)

So if it’s custom adapter or nothing at all? Your choice is nothing at all?

Just curious? Did you say you have the LMGT4 Centerlocks?

We answered your question at least four times now …

If I was a dick I’d tell the OP that I see them on Ebay every now and again…

I’ll reformat my answer and say you need to find a suspension shop (or go straight to Nissan/Nismo) that does one-off custom work and have them CNC center locks for you. Tell them you have $35,000 and you’d like a full set of nismo spec center locks.

The next question will be where do I find authentic z33 GT500 Body Kit?
I understand that there aren't companies that produce conversion kits now as this forum has answered that for me. You don't have to tell me "If I was a dick" You are a dick. Your reformatted response was much more helpful than any of the other useless nonsense you posted, thank you. Yes, I have a set of Nismo LMGT4 center locks from a GT3 r35 I purchased off racecarsdirrect as a used set.

Originally Posted by GreyZ
Excellent. This will be fun. You ever have modding dilemmas?

Any 350z that ever came with centerlocks was on a custom chassis so even if you buy the parts used they will not bolt up. You will need to take a 350z upright and take it to a high level custom shop and get custom centerlock hubs designed and machined. It would likely be cheaper if you looked at overseas options in either Japan or Eastern Europe. They have guys doing some real crazy stuff over there. Your going to be looking at many tens of thousands of dollars. You could also reach out to JWT or SPL to see if they have any suggestions on companies that may have worked on it in the past. But I don't think you will find anyone on this forum dropping that kind of money to change their lug nuts. @bmccann101 may have been crazy enough to look at centerlock options. He has one of the more extreme builds here, but I think even he is still on 5x114.3.

Make sure to keep us updated.
My 350z is having a complete overhaul, the entire front end is chopped in plans of integrating a tubular front end that connects with the roll cage in the interior. My suspension support towers / strut towers are all already tied into the roll cage, and this will also be the case for the rear end. The suspension setup is almost entirely Nismo parts and pieces that I am going to have to fabricate mounting points for. Still need to figure out whether I want to go with KW Clubsport coils or have Ohlins custom make me a set of coilovers as close to the Super GT car specifications as they can get them. I was attempting to find a Hewland sequential for my VQ35de but still haven't been able to come to any closures so I might be going with a more modern solution which will probably fare better in terms of price and parts availability anyways. I'll be contacting JWT for the engine build once I'm in a spot where I can comfortably begin worrying about that so I'll definitely send them a email about companies they might be familiar with on the centerlock production thank you! This isn't just a Track spec Z it's a Super GT replica 350z and I'm going to spend as much as I need to in order to get me as close as I can be to having a Super GT 350z. As the other guy noted above "The next question will be where do I find authentic z33 GT500 Body kit" I have the front fenders and will purchase a hatch if the seller ever responds to me and the other pieces I will more than likely have to get dimensions for so that I can have a company mold and create the dry carbon pieces I don't have. Thank you for taking the time to help me!
Old 07-20-2023, 08:41 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Document the build. Sounds interesting and we need some new builds to fawn over. Check out some of the other builds - pretty cool stuff.
supergtproject (07-24-2023)
Old 07-20-2023, 10:00 AM
bealljk
350Z-holic

You are a dick.
Thank you! My work is done here … I joke I joke - I’m actually a really nice person (both on this forum and in real life) but I’ll hide behind the safety of my keyboard for this thread.

You should post up some pictures of your build…

And I’m only a dick because we get the pie-in-the-sky type questions 6 or 8 times a year where the OP simply does not listen or gets upset because they dont want to hear that reality of the answer. Then said OP goes to facebook or the other z forums and asks the same questions looking for an answer they want to hear.

I suspect you wont last here - which is a shame. I hope you continue to make progress on your build, sounds costly, sounds intense, but post your progress and be a productive member of this forum. And you too will too see these frequent posts and become a dick too.

Last edited by bealljk; 07-20-2023 at 10:03 AM.
iideadeyeii (07-27-2023)

Quick Reply: Centerlock conversion for 350z