2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Essential mods for tune + Which Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2023, 02:59 AM
ShadowSide

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Essential mods for tune + Which Exhaust

Hey guys
I have to get my 350z tuned as I had it checked on Dyno and it is running VERY rich. SO to avoid any cylinder wash problems occuring etc, I am planning on a tune. However, I want to make the most out of the tune and get some more power of out it.
I am not going FI yet, so for now I was looking at doing
  1. Motordyne Plenum Spacer
  2. Test Pipes
  3. Replacing my Short ram CAI with a proper long tube CAI
Is there anything else I should do ?
Also I had a few questions about exhausts. I currently have an unknown Titanium catback exhaust on the vehicle and I have just had to put an insurance claim in as I misjudged the depth of an entryway that dipped down WAY too far and it crushed/dented and scratched my muffler really bad.
Because of this, and the fact I am looking at doing test pipes, I am looking at getting an entirely new exhaust.
My current one is flipping loud (100+ decibels at WOT) and while I love it, it drones really bad when driving so I am wanting something with a great sound but with a resonator to eliminate drone. I also want a single exit exhaust.
Any recommendations people can make ?
Thanks!
Old 09-24-2023, 05:22 AM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,297 Likes on 2,345 Posts

Originally Posted by ShadowSide
Hey guys
I have to get my 350z tuned as I had it checked on Dyno and it is running VERY rich. SO to avoid any cylinder wash problems occuring etc, I am planning on a tune. However, I want to make the most out of the tune and get some more power of out it.
I am not going FI yet, so for now I was looking at doing
  1. Motordyne Plenum Spacer
  2. Test Pipes
  3. Replacing my Short ram CAI with a proper long tube CAI
Is there anything else I should do ?
Also I had a few questions about exhausts. I currently have an unknown Titanium catback exhaust on the vehicle and I have just had to put an insurance claim in as I misjudged the depth of an entryway that dipped down WAY too far and it crushed/dented and scratched my muffler really bad.
Because of this, and the fact I am looking at doing test pipes, I am looking at getting an entirely new exhaust.
My current one is flipping loud (100+ decibels at WOT) and while I love it, it drones really bad when driving so I am wanting something with a great sound but with a resonator to eliminate drone. I also want a single exit exhaust.
Any recommendations people can make ?
Thanks!

"I misjudged the depth of an entryway that dipped down WAY too far and it crushed/dented and scratched my muffler really bad."

Uh huh, OK, that's a good one. Just to let you know, I am the insurance agent representing your company. DENIED!!

Just kidding. This will be a good one to see how the claim goes. I'm not sure if my comp coverage here in the states would pay out a claim like that but good luck.

Your mods that "contribute to the need for tune" (or in your case the opposite, "mods to get the most out of a 'required tune'") are sound. (No pun) However, your next comments about the exhaust seem almost diametrically opposed. That is:

"My current one is flipping loud (100+ decibels at WOT) and while I love it, it drones really bad when driving so I am wanting something with a great sound but with a resonator to eliminate drone. I also want a single exit exhaust."

You're going to put a single on with test pipes? And that's supposed to make it quieter than a catback? Hmmmm. While your sound measurement of 100dB might be true, I have to *believe* (don't know for sure) that this proposed setup is going to be louder. I've never heard a "quiet single". Singles are generally considered "race exhausts" (but most are run on the street to the sheer delight of other motorists or pedestrians - that's a joke. Uggggh, single exhausts driven by ego driven leadfoots don't know how stupid they sound on the street).

Anyways, opinion aside, the Tomei Expreme, which is kind of the king of single exhausts, seems to be the hot ticket. Made of Ti, very light and while obnoxiously loud, at least has good tone and offers real gains. But, something to consider, there's no resonator on the Expreme that I know of. If too loud, suppose you could customize it by adding a Vibrant resonator about midway down the aft pipe but you have to make sure you take it to a person who can graft/weld ti to stainless.

The following users liked this post:
350Shadow (09-25-2023)
Old 09-25-2023, 08:52 AM
350Shadow

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

The quietest single exhausts i've ever heard are the isr gt single and the fujitsubo power getter exhaust. I personally had the power getter, bought the "rainbow finisher" adjustable tip for it too from rhdjapan.com and had a very nice looking, tame single exit exhaust. These are both stainless systems by the way.