2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350z '06 OEM Exhaust Alternative

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2023, 11:37 PM
gotamadelic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350z '06 OEM Exhaust Alternative

Hey Guys,

I am looking for a replacement for the stock OEM exhaust because I need something that would pass vehicle road tests in terms of sound level, and it would be nice to find a stainless steel exhaust, which is lighter, improved air flow etc. I have a Motordyne TDX v2 but somehow it developed massive horrible sound rasp that makes the car sound as if a chainsaw is coming. So basically I'm looking for something with a low noise clean sound without rasp which these aftermarket exhaust sometimes have.

So far the one with least sound I found is the Revel 350z Medalion Touring Y-Back Exhaust which is well under 93db and has a nice tone (don't know of any rasp noises though :/ )

Anyone knows of an aftermarket exhaust similar with low sound level with a clean sound (no rasp noises), just doing some research to check what's out there before I buy.

Cheers for any replies much appreciated
Old 10-04-2023, 01:11 AM
icer5160

Received 440 Likes on 335 Posts

I had a Skunk2 SS system on my Z for a bit. It came with the car when I purchased it. It was very quiet under normal driving conditions, and very mild under WOT. It really reminded me of the stock Z32 exhaust. I don't think you can purchase this anymore though. I'm currently running with a Bassani SS system. It sounds good if you run it with the stock CATs, but using ART pipes makes it raspy. I'm actually considering purchasing the TDX2 because of the build quality. The Invidia Gemini, Fujitsubo Legalis R, Stillen, and many others offer good sound with no rasp and minor to zero drone issues, but I don't know if these will meet your 93dB limitation/requirement.

I'm surprised to hear about your issues with the MD TDX2, have you inspected underneath the vehicle? Also, have you run any other exhaust mods such as test pipes? I'm wondering if you have an exhaust leak or damaged piping.
Cheers!
-Icer

Old 10-04-2023, 01:30 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,125 Likes on 6,578 Posts

on my tdx2, i got a split in the red circle area which made it sound bad, not sure if i clipped something with it or not... had it welded and went about my day

Old 10-04-2023, 03:57 AM
gotamadelic

Cheers for posts.

I inspected the TDX with my mechanic and found that the rasp developed is coming from this box. Same pic which you linked. He might think its coming from the internal resonator inside though which is quite inaccessible. I guess i have to remove it and find out somehow.

But for the time being I need something close to stock so that I have something to swap it with. Something quiet and clean sounding. I checked all those nice brands already but they are louder. I will look around a bit more. There was a good Nismo r-Tune with OEM part number as well, but its not available anymore
Old 10-04-2023, 03:58 AM
Heel Til I Die

Received 1,094 Likes on 775 Posts

Did your TDX2 previously pass the 93 db test? That would be surprising since that thing screams at WOT.

But if it does suit your needs, sounds like an exhaust leak somewhere. Quick and easy to check all the V band clamps.

Edit: just saw your reply. I actually have that resonator "suitcase" section collecting dust in my garage after I went with MD's higher flow resonated pipes. Shipping might be cost-prohibitive and it sounds like you're planning on changing the entire setup, but let me know if you're interested.

Last edited by Heel Til I Die; 10-04-2023 at 04:04 AM.
Old 10-04-2023, 04:18 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,125 Likes on 6,578 Posts

I had the Invidia Gemini before I had the TDX2, its a true dual, and fairly quite
Old 10-04-2023, 05:05 AM
gotamadelic

Originally Posted by Heel Til I Die
Did your TDX2 previously pass the 93 db test? That would be surprising since that thing screams at WOT.

But if it does suit your needs, sounds like an exhaust leak somewhere. Quick and easy to check all the V band clamps.

Edit: just saw your reply. I actually have that resonator "suitcase" section collecting dust in my garage after I went with MD's higher flow resonated pipes. Shipping might be cost-prohibitive and it sounds like you're planning on changing the entire setup, but let me know if you're interested.
It used to pass before coz the test was around 104db in my country, but now they are stricter. Will check out the TDX coz its a good exhaust and there might be an easy fix.

But yes in long term, I'm planning to change the whole setup from cats to the back with something quieter with cleaner sound. Too much rasp and noise test friendly.

Old 10-04-2023, 05:08 AM
gotamadelic

Originally Posted by travlee
I had the Invidia Gemini before I had the TDX2, its a true dual, and fairly quite
Thanks, ill check out the Gemini and research it a bit for sound level & rasp, etc.

Would be nice to have a true dual for breathing and quieter sound.
Old 10-04-2023, 06:19 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,284 Likes on 2,336 Posts

Personally, I'd try to source a Nissan S-Tune (original or even the newer - but discontinued - unit). I've had several on both Z33 and Z34 and the sound is similar to stock but much deeper and I'd guess a tad louder. IMO, best unit for a "civilized" Z car. You might be able to source one from Italy/Europe somewhere where cost to ship won't be cringeworthy.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:25 PM
gotamadelic

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Personally, I'd try to source a Nissan S-Tune (original or even the newer - but discontinued - unit). I've had several on both Z33 and Z34 and the sound is similar to stock but much deeper and I'd guess a tad louder. IMO, best unit for a "civilized" Z car. You might be able to source one from Italy/Europe somewhere where cost to ship won't be cringeworthy.
thanks for info, ill look up and research the S-Tune.
Yes indeed shipping is insane, Looking to find from EU / UK

cheers
Old 10-05-2023, 05:03 AM
i8acobra

Received 1,280 Likes on 1,025 Posts

Borla. Quiet most of the time. That's what I had on my 2006. Stainless, like you want. Also, lifetime warranty. It's pricey, but you're paying for the warranty.
Old 10-05-2023, 09:04 AM
gotamadelic

Originally Posted by i8acobra
Borla. Quiet most of the time. That's what I had on my 2006. Stainless, like you want. Also, lifetime warranty. It's pricey, but you're paying for the warranty.
nice sounds good, will research a bit

rather spend more and have a quiet one but provides better performance and life warranty

Hopefully i can find a shop in EU or UK

cheers