Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Alignment Questions..

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2024, 08:20 PM
Tech Territory

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Alignment Questions..

Alright, so I need to get camber arms so that i stop wearing the outside sidewall of my tires whenever i autocross, or do a touge run, and I also am planning on getting coilovers whenever I can afford it.. and i am wearing my tires so fast because of the fact that im wearing mainly the sidewall, and I am going to get camber arms in order to get some solid camber, but I can afford camber arms today, but not coilovers, would it be okay if I got the camber arms without coilovers, and then got an alignment, and then got the coilovers, and didnt get an alignment? or would that seriously screw up the alignment to make me have to get a new one? maybe this is a dumb question, but would apprecaite feedback, thanks!
Old 06-15-2024, 11:56 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,271 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Which tires are wearing?

Rears can be corrected with adjustable camber arms. You may wish to add offset toe adjustment while doing that.

Front requires adjustable FUCA (front upper control arms) to address camber.

There was a set of rear arms on Marketplace day after your last post on this topic.

Not sure what you're asking WRT installing COs. You want to align now then not have to after cos installed? Uh, no, the resson adding In such components is to be able to adjust alignment in response to any changes in suspension geometry and coilovers will certainly alter that, necessitating alignment,
The following users liked this post:
Tech Territory (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 07:09 AM
bre240z

Received 73 Likes on 58 Posts

Be patient. Do it right and do it once. Save a little more and buy all the suspension components all together, install and take it to the alignment shop once and youre done. Instead of buying one part at a time and having to take back to the alignment shop every time your swap something out.
Tech Territory (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 07:51 AM
travlee
Master

Received 9,099 Likes on 6,556 Posts

unless he has the firestone lifetime alignment plan, i agree
The following 2 users liked this post by travlee:
bmccann101 (06-17-2024), Tech Territory (06-17-2024)
Old 06-17-2024, 08:07 AM
Tech Territory

Originally Posted by MicVelo
Which tires are wearing?

Rears can be corrected with adjustable camber arms. You may wish to add offset toe adjustment while doing that.

Front requires adjustable FUCA (front upper control arms) to address camber.

There was a set of rear arms on Marketplace day after your last post on this topic.

Not sure what you're asking WRT installing COs. You want to align now then not have to after cos installed? Uh, no, the resson adding In such components is to be able to adjust alignment in response to any changes in suspension geometry and coilovers will certainly alter that, necessitating alignment,
Its my front arms, and yeah, I know i need the control arms for camber.. im just understeering like a mf... and yeah that what i thought, and what i was planning, but then i had a buddy tell me it was fine the other way... which i didnt think was true, but i just thought i would ask
Old 06-17-2024, 02:43 PM
bmccann101
350Z-holic

Received 411 Likes on 235 Posts

if youre understeering on stock suspension, remove the rear sway bar
Old 06-18-2024, 06:41 PM
Tech Territory

Originally Posted by bmccann101
if youre understeering on stock suspension, remove the rear sway bar
thats not the issue. its that i am wearing my sidewall. im literally riding on it when im turning hard, so adding coilovers (which im planning on anyways) and camber arms is going to solve the issue if im not mistaken
Old 06-18-2024, 08:51 PM
MicVelo
350Z/370Z Tech Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 3,271 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Tech Territory
thats not the issue. its that i am wearing my sidewall. im literally riding on it when im turning hard, so adding coilovers (which im planning on anyways) and camber arms is going to solve the issue if im not mistaken
You are mistaken. You said sidewall? If that's true and not just the edges of the tread, there's something SERIOUSLY wrong if your tires are rolling over, damaging sidewalls.

Possibilities:

(Any/all or combinationsthereof.)

- Tires are underinflated for your use. Autocross and other hard cornering should be higher than stock to help limit rollover. Try the chalk test at varying pressures to dial in your AX settings.

- Front hubs/bearings are toast

- Broken/bent control arms (not that unusual)

- Bent/broken steering knuckles

Shall I go on? Point is, you need to evaluate all of the consequential suspension pieces without wasting time and money on coilovers which will do ZERO to fix your issue since the shock/upright is the last possible suspension component that can cause this type of tire rollover.

By the way, unless you are tracking and willing to spend the $$ on "real" coilovers, (Not to mention learning how to make the proper adjustments - and trust me, not many people do) don't bother.

Fix what's broke first then worry about hip coilovers later.

Last edited by MicVelo; 06-19-2024 at 07:42 AM.
Tech Territory (06-19-2024)
Old 06-19-2024, 07:08 AM
bre240z

I agree with Mic. Underinflated tires can be causing this issue. Find the underlying problem first before just slapping on some coilovers which wont do a thing to help your situation
Old 06-19-2024, 08:55 PM
Tech Territory

Originally Posted by MicVelo
You are mistaken. You said sidewall? If that's true and not just the edges of the tread, there's something SERIOUSLY wrong if your tires are rolling over, damaging sidewalls.

Possibilities:

(Any/all or combinationsthereof.)

- Tires are underinflated for your use. Autocross and other hard cornering should be higher than stock to help limit rollover. Try the chalk test at varying pressures to dial in your AX settings.

- Front hubs/bearings are toast

- Broken/bent control arms (not that unusual)

- Bent/broken steering knuckles

Shall I go on? Point is, you need to evaluate all of the consequential suspension pieces without wasting time and money on coilovers which will do ZERO to fix your issue since the shock/upright is the last possible suspension component that can cause this type of tire rollover.

By the way, unless you are tracking and willing to spend the $$ on "real" coilovers, (Not to mention learning how to make the proper adjustments - and trust me, not many people do) don't bother.

Fix what's broke first then worry about hip coilovers later.
I seriously appreciate you trying to help me figure out what is wrong, I have a lot of knowledgable people in my circle in the SRRSCCA... My bearings are fine, I check them after every event, and I have used tire chalk going up to a total of 45 PSI, no change, and I actually just replaced my lower control arms about a month ago, didnt fix the issue... my cars suspension has been gone through by myself (aswell as others) that I know and trust.

Coilovers are something i have been planning on for ages anyways,and my struts are blown so I just decided to spend extra money on what i want, rather than cheap out on something ill replace in the future anyways... and I am going with fortune auto coilovers, and z1 performance upper control arms and traction bars.

You might ask why i would do coilovers if im autocrossing, because it would raise the class im in? My car already has 2 aftermarket sway bars, so I am actually already in a class that allows tunes, coilovers, tires, etc, etc, so it will just make me even more competitive with my class... (Street Touring Ultimate)

Again, I do appreciate the feedback, aswell as trying to help me solve the issue, but its hard to explain what is going on without showing you in person.
Old 06-19-2024, 08:58 PM
Tech Territory

Originally Posted by bre240z
I agree with Mic. Underinflated tires can be causing this issue. Find the underlying problem first before just slapping on some coilovers which wont do a thing to help your situation
First off, i am not just "slapping on some coilovers" to fix it, I am going with coilovers, adjustable control arms, and adjustable traction bars, aswell as a alignment in order to make sure the car is tracking again, and so that I can add a few degrees of camber for maximum grip. And as a autocross guy i have also messed with my tire pressure way too much to even explain, I appreciate the help, and trying to solve the issue for me, but i have also gone through many things that it could be, and this has been my solution after basically checking or replacing all of my suspension components in the front end of the car
Old 06-20-2024, 07:12 AM
bre240z

Originally Posted by Tech Territory
First off, i am not just "slapping on some coilovers" to fix it, I am going with coilovers, adjustable control arms, and adjustable traction bars, aswell as a alignment in order to make sure the car is tracking again, and so that I can add a few degrees of camber for maximum grip. And as a autocross guy i have also messed with my tire pressure way too much to even explain, I appreciate the help, and trying to solve the issue for me, but i have also gone through many things that it could be, and this has been my solution after basically checking or replacing all of my suspension components in the front end of the car
Hey sorry if i came off the wrong way. So I apologize for that. Blown shocks can definitely cause issues like this. Get them coilovers, adjustable arms on and report back.
Old 06-20-2024, 10:07 AM
Tech Territory

Originally Posted by bre240z
Hey sorry if i came off the wrong way. So I apologize for that. Blown shocks can definitely cause issues like this. Get them coilovers, adjustable arms on and report back.
no worries man, no hard feelings.. i’ll check in for sure, thanks for tryin to help