Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

my car no longer honks when i press lock on the remote

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 11:57 AM
orhanz33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question my car no longer honks when i press lock on the remote

after i got home from the dealer (warranty work...kind of) i got out of my car, closed the door, and pressed lock on my keychain as i was walking away, but i hear no honk.. i tried again, nothing, i turned around thinking a door was open, checked but, they were closed... then i noticed when i hit lock on the remote the hazards blink like normal, and the doors lock, but i don't hear a honk.. what's up with that? i really don't care that it no longer honks, but does it mean somehting, or is it exactly the same as before minus the sound?

p.s. this is what i went to the dealer for in case you were pondering:

when i was getting my oil changed the mechanic (guy i know) told me there was oil around the ac compressor and that i should get it checked out (might be a leak) since the car's under warranty... while i was there i also told them about the clicking noise when braking after getting in reverse or 1st gear... they told me the clicking had something to do w/ the handbrake and a spring they needed to oil (clicking is still there but i don't really care) and they said the oil around the ac compressor was from the dipstick (when it gets pulled out some oil spills out or something)...

Last edited by orhanz33; 03-02-2004 at 12:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:01 PM
ganz

Had that same thing happen to me. I figured the techs didn't like listening to the nismo sport horns and decided to shut if off for me. Didn't really bother me tho. The clicking, on the other hand, is starting to make me worried. I'll definitely ask the techs about the handbrake the next time I get the oil changed.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:03 PM
billg

You can program it to honk or not honk. It locks the car just the same. Consult your manual.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:05 PM
orhanz33

i read somewhere there was a tsb out for it and that it really had something to do w/ the rear axle and some bolts that needed to be tightened, but am not positive...
Old 03-02-2004, 12:08 PM
VandyZ

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would check out the oil thing again. I have seen several with this issue (including mine) and it is not the dipstick. I tightened the drivers side valve cover and that seemed to alleviate the issue.

As for the horn, if you hold in your lock and unlock buttons on the remote it will activate the horn again.

Last edited by VandyZ; 03-02-2004 at 12:12 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:09 PM
EL Diablo

it has happened to me too. it came back after a little while.
Old 03-02-2004, 12:23 PM
orhanz33

Originally posted by VandyZ
I would check out the oil thing again. I have seen several with this issue (including mine) and it is not the dipstick. I tightened the drivers side valve cover and that seemed to alleviate the issue.
is it/could this be serious?
Old 03-02-2004, 12:33 PM
VandyZ

Originally posted by durobred
is it/could this be serious?
IMO it is not acceptable on a new car. I probably should check mine again to see if it started back. If you know how many loose bolts I have found . . .it is scary. But i also understand because my vin is 153 and I am sure they were still working things out. But there also have been bolts that were way over torqued. I guess the robo-wrenches were all out of wack

Anyway just keep an eye on it. Use brake / parts cleaner and spray down the area and get it good and clean. Then just monitor it yourself.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:52 PM
JeffR116

I can't remember for sure if this is the procedure, as I dont have the manual with me right now.

If you're within normal Keyfob range:

Press and hold the lock and unlock buttons simulatneously, for (I think) 3 to 5 seconds.

The security system on the Z can switch audible modes.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:42 PM
want D Z

Default Re: my car no longer honks when i press lock on the remote

after i got home from the dealer (warranty work...kind of) i got out of my car, closed the door, and pressed lock on my keychain as i was walking away, but i hear no honk.. i tried again, nothing, i turned around thinking a door was open, checked but, they were closed... then i noticed when i hit lock on the remote the hazards blink like normal, and the doors lock, but i don't hear a honk.. what's up with that? i really don't care that it no longer honks, but does it mean somehting, or is it exactly the same as before minus the sound?

Re-close the trunk and try again.
Old 03-02-2004, 02:48 PM
bhk1004

i talked to nissan about this before, and u just have to press 2 buttons, i forgot which... simultaneously on your remote for a little bit rite next to your car like jeffr116 said. It changes to silent sometimes cause u push the buttons in your pocket or something. if not just take it to a dealership they will do it in 3 seconds literally
Old 03-02-2004, 04:05 PM
robcassell

hold lock and unlock down together for a bit and it will fix the problem
Old 03-02-2004, 05:17 PM
Drumtemp

Default Re: Re: my car no longer honks when i press lock on the remote

Originally posted by want D Z
Re-close the trunk and try again.
Exactly! At least that is one reason the lights will blink, but the horn is silent. Just happened to me last weekend--thought the trunk was closed and latched--nope!
Old 03-02-2004, 09:26 PM
straderp

Default Re: my car no longer honks when i press lock on the remote

while i was there i also told them about the clicking noise when braking after getting in reverse or 1st gear... they told me the clicking had something to do w/ the handbrake and a spring they needed to oil (clicking is still there but i don't really care)
Can you describe the "clicking" noise? On electronically-engaged 4WD vehicles, a "thumping" noise is supposedly normal when you're shifting into first or reverse and starting off.

I would not expect it, however, with a 2WD vehicle. I myself have heard a noise with my Z every now and then for the same scenario you described. To me, it sounds like the parking brake is sticking even after release, and the motion of the vehicle causes it to release fully. This would be consistent with what the mechanic told you. (Makes me feel better, somewhat).

Do you have an AT or MT, and do you only hear the noise after releasing the parking brake?
Old 03-03-2004, 08:14 AM
rufus3000

Default Absolutley correct

Originally posted by billg
You can program it to honk or not honk. It locks the car just the same. Consult your manual.
DITTO the above
Old 03-03-2004, 09:23 AM
volatile

I had this problem before too and it was because my trunk wasn't fully closed. I packed a bunch of stuff into the trunk and thought it was closed. When I used the remote I didn't get the horn sound. After I took out all my junk and closed the trunk again the horn sound was back.

I didn't know it was possible to disable the horn by pressing Lock + Unlock at the same time. That would be pretty cool except I often lose my car at work and other large parking lots and constantly hitting the "lock" button helps me home in on my car.