37.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

XM or SIRIUS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2002, 10:42 AM
sammythebull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM or SIRIUS?

I've seen some posts of people already installing XM... but none with SIRIUS.

I'm thinking of getting one of the two but cannot decide which.

XM seems to have a large brand awareness... but Nissan's already announced that they are backing SIRIUS.

Would love to hear your feedback and/or recommendations
Old 09-24-2002, 10:55 AM
padam07

Road & Track had a little right up in an article called "High Tech? Why Tech?" I am going to quote the article.
"Coast-to-Coast reception of more than 100 stations with CD clarity is offered by either of two subscriber systems, XM and Sirius. At $12.95/month and commercial-free, Sirius has ties with DaimlerChrysler. XM has GM and Honda involvement; its $9.95/month includes limited commercials. Several automakers, Infiniti and Porsche among them, are ready for either system. Infiniti's M45 even has a SAT button on its center consol. For music lovers, satelite radio is HIGH TECH; for addicted to local traffic reports, WHY TECH."

I would pay the extra 3 bucks a month just for commercial free music. I hate commercials.
Old 09-24-2002, 10:56 AM
ddtreadway

After doing some research, I would go with Sirius. They're both fairly new, and Sirius is experiencing some growth issues (i.e. cash flow).

The satellite set-up comparison, though, would lead me to Sirius. Their coverage area will be better.

By the way, I grew up in Fayetteville, GA. How do you like the dealer in Morrow? Were you the one who posted the nightmare story of dealing with them? Almost all of the dealerships in that area are infested with snakes at various levels of the organization.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:08 AM
wxtornado

Neither one for me, here's why.

New music nowadays isn't as good as the past, IMO. Where are the new Zeppelins and Aerosmiths and Van Halens of today? They don't exist. I hardly listen to new music on the radio anymore. The select music that I do like, I have on CD and will use the CD player. I can't see paying a monthly fee for listening to the radio.

I like talk-radio (how's the AM reception I wonder?).

As an aside, I heard that SIRIUS is going out of business.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:49 AM
nwind21

Originally posted by wxtornado
New music nowadays isn't as good as the past, IMO. Where are the new Zeppelins and Aerosmiths and Van Halens of today? They don't exist. I hardly listen to new music on the radio anymore. The select music that I do like, I have on CD and will use the CD player. I can't see paying a monthly fee for listening to the radio.

I like talk-radio (how's the AM reception I wonder?).
Talk radio is awesome (NPR, KPBS). That's the only thing I listen to on the radio waves. The stuff on the regular radio channels is not so good (a bit too POP for me).

That's why I was considering XM or Sirius to complement my CD collection and talk radio. They have a lot of stations and seem to be trying to attract new listeners by exposing new artists/sounds that otherwise wouldn't be heard.

I've found plenty of excellent artists out there... you just gotta do some crate diggin' to find them.

Actually, I'm waiting for them to make a portable XM/Sirius walkman... that would be cool and make the monthly costs more reasonable.
Old 09-24-2002, 12:24 PM
sammythebull

Regarding:
"Actually, I'm waiting for them to make a portable XM/Sirius walkman... that would be cool and make the monthly costs more reasonable."

Just as long as they don't make you put that stupid antenna on your head! (j/k)

Regarding:
"By the way, I grew up in Fayetteville, GA. How do you like the dealer in Morrow? Were you the one who posted the nightmare story of dealing with them? Almost all of the dealerships in that area are infested with snakes at various levels of the organization."

Yes that was me.
Since we're on the topic of Talk Radio... I just wanted to inform... you decide!
Old 09-24-2002, 02:35 PM
thewoff

I think my pic is Sirius. I don't want the commercials and that is what Kenwood is using and I definately want a Kenwood deck, so I don't think I have much choice. Also if you get Sirius right now there is a $75 rebate from them and a $25 rebate from Kenwood, this brings the price of the unit to around $80-90, plus an antenna...just my 0.02
Old 09-24-2002, 03:32 PM
jtree007
Charter Member #53

Originally posted by padam07
Road & Track had a little right up in an article called "High Tech? Why Tech?" I am going to quote the article.
"Coast-to-Coast reception of more than 100 stations with CD clarity is offered by either of two subscriber systems, XM and Sirius. At $12.95/month and commercial-free, Sirius has ties with DaimlerChrysler. XM has GM and Honda involvement; its $9.95/month includes limited commercials. Several automakers, Infiniti and Porsche among them, are ready for either system. Infiniti's M45 even has a SAT button on its center consol. For music lovers, satelite radio is HIGH TECH; for addicted to local traffic reports, WHY TECH."

I would pay the extra 3 bucks a month just for commercial free music. I hate commercials.
There are very few commercials on XM and on most channels there are none. I have not heard Sirius much yet but I love XM and reception is excelent in the Atlanta area and in most of georgia... that is all I can say about reception b/c that is as far as I have gone so far since I put xm in 3 weeks ago...