Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Undercoat protection and Sound Deadener

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2004, 04:23 AM
TommyBoy76

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Undercoat protection and Sound Deadener

Hi everyone! I haven't posted in a while. I've been enjoying my Zed!! Just took it out of storage.

I now this subjuct has been posted already, but I want new opinions. I'm questioning whether or not to undercoat my car. I know that all our z's are bone dry underneath and don't come with any kind of underbody protection. That being fact, how long do you think it would take for the elements to do some real damage??? Like rust???

Not only that, but, lets face it, our roads are going to have stones and salt floating around that may eventually kick up and do some damage eventually. You can really hear the noise in the car when just driving over a little sand!!

Please let me know your thoughts on this. I've stored my car all winter and i've already noticed some slight surface rust underneath where my exhast is connected to the mid pipe. Is this gonna happen regardless? I even have the electronic corrosion module installed in my car for rust protection. Is this enough?
Old 03-16-2004, 09:15 AM
TommyBoy76

Wow, thanks everybody.......
Old 03-16-2004, 11:20 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by TommyBoy76
Wow, thanks everybody.......
Oh, ok I'll reply so you don't feel left out.

Anyway, I got the undercoating, the interior treatment,etc. however most people don't do it, they think it's a waste of money. I guess it depends on where you live, too. Here in VA, they don't use alot of salt on the roads, so that's not as big an issue.

I'm not sure if they apply the undercoating to exhaust components or not. I'd think it would burn off if they did, so that wouldn't help the corrosion you're already seeing.
Old 03-17-2004, 05:40 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Undercoating.

I wouldn't do it.

Aftermarket undercoating can trap dirt/moisture and cause corrosion problems. If you read you warranty the body/rust warranty probably even says that application of aftermarket undercoating products will void the factory warranty. My last few cars all had that disclaimer in the warranty documents.

It probably does make it quieter, but a safer way to do that would be with soundproofing from the inside (like Dynamat).

Just an opinion, of course.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:08 AM
TommyBoy76

But thats my whole point......sorry, I may not have mentioned that. It would be dealer installed and would have its own warrenty as long as I take it in every year for inspection. My car is only 4 months old so the warrenty would still apply if I decided to do the application. So its not too late. I have 2 years from the purchase of my car.

Should I go for it....it costs $99 Canadian.
Old 03-17-2004, 06:45 AM
kcobean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My undercoating was dealer applied. I don't see it doing any harm, other than being untidy and adding weight. I believe it probably does more good than harm in the long run.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:09 PM
whitetrack

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Undercoating

I had my rear wheel wells done simply because I couldn't stand the sound of the sand pinging the wheel wells. I deadened the sound a little but not totally.

I normally don't believe in undercoating anymore. The cars now are built much better. My "beater car" is a '94 Olds cutlass Supreme with not an ounce of rust on it and I use it in the winter while my Z is hibernating.

My wife's Cherokee is also without undercoating and is surviving just fine but I live in Connecticut, not Canada. They do use a lot of sand and salt down here though.

I've heard that it isn't a good idea to put on undercoating if you've been driving the car for a while since they won't be applying it to a clean under carriage. If you insist in getting it done try to negotiate on the price. $99 sounds high. You should be able to get it for $50 - $60.
Old 03-18-2004, 03:17 AM
Dissolved

Default Re: Undercoat protection and Sound Deadener

Hi everyone! I haven't posted in a while. I've been enjoying my Zed!! Just took it out of storage.

I now this subjuct has been posted already, but I want new opinions. I'm questioning whether or not to undercoat my car. I know that all our z's are bone dry underneath and don't come with any kind of underbody protection. That being fact, how long do you think it would take for the elements to do some real damage??? Like rust???

Not only that, but, lets face it, our roads are going to have stones and salt floating around that may eventually kick up and do some damage eventually. You can really hear the noise in the car when just driving over a little sand!!

Please let me know your thoughts on this. I've stored my car all winter and i've already noticed some slight surface rust underneath where my exhast is connected to the mid pipe. Is this gonna happen regardless? I even have the electronic corrosion module installed in my car for rust protection. Is this enough?
The noise you are hearing is due to the lack of sound deadening etc the Z has. Which is why it's a NOISY car. Also, the sand you're running over is going mostly in your wheel well area.

Some of you are misinformed (AndyB and whitetrack are correct though)
Dealer undercoating the body of your car is the worst thing you can do. It's a dealer scam first off if you didnt know that. Secondly, it will cover any existing factory holes etc that are meant to DRAIN water.

Oh and for christ sake. It's "Z" not "ZED". Does it say 350ZED on the back of your car???????!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2004, 03:42 AM
TommyBoy76

What are you constipated or something Dissolved???.......forgot your bran this morning??? take it easy homeboy!!!

And get a culture lesson in pronouncing letters.......its pronounced Zed in Canada.....but its ok, I bet you've never even left the luxury of your comfy trailor park in your entire life......

But thanks anyway....anyone with a higher IQ have anything to add???
Old 03-18-2004, 03:46 AM
TommyBoy76

Oh, and thanks for stating the obvious on why the car is NOISY Dissolved.....good job buddy!!
Old 03-18-2004, 06:26 AM
Dissolved

Default Re: Undercoat protection and Sound Deadener

Wrong. You really think they would release the Z with no underbody protection. Do your homework.

Nope. If you would of searched and read up on the detailing section you would know the answer to this already
Surface rust is unavoidable smart guy. It's the type of steel they use. 304-t is one of the metals that doesnt show surface rust.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:28 AM
Dissolved

And get a culture lesson in pronouncing letters.......its pronounced Zed in Canada.....but its ok, I bet you've never even left the luxury of your comfy trailor park in your entire life......

But thanks anyway....anyone with a higher IQ have anything to add???
Last I checked, Nissan was still calling the Z, a Z.
Thanks, but majority rules (thank god in this case). And the Z is a Z.. But no where on my car does it say "zed". If someone came up to me and asked how I liked my "zed," I would probably slap them with a frozen peporroni.
Hell if thats the case, maybe I should start pronouncing the word "bike" as "bikey." Since we have a shoe called Nike pronounced with a short "e"

Oh and by the way, both my parents are not from this continent. One is from Europe, the other from the Orient. I've probably been out of North America more times than you ever will. How's the beaver juice taste now?
Old 03-18-2004, 07:28 AM
JFritz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, this thread got out of hand in a hurry.

P.S. Zed's dead baby
Old 03-18-2004, 07:46 AM
TommyBoy76

Originally posted by Dissolved
Last I checked, Nissan was still calling the Z, a Z.
Thanks, but majority rules (thank god in this case). And the Z is a Z.. But no where on my car does it say "zed". If someone came up to me and asked how I liked my "zed," I would probably slap them with a frozen peporroni.
Hell if thats the case, maybe I should start pronouncing the word "bike" as "bikey." Since we have a shoe called Nike pronounced with a short "e"

Oh and by the way, both my parents are not from this continent. One is from Europe, the other from the Orient. I've probably been out of North America more times than you ever will.
Unbelievable!! Do you actually think I said my car says Zed??? Oh man, now that I know your background, I definitely would recommend a few more English lessons in comprehension.

Oh, and you pronounce "Led Zeppelin" "Leed Zeeppelin" Right??? Moron. I'm talking about the way our letters are pronounced, not the way our words are pronouced. If that was the issue, instead of pronouncing your screen name as "Dissolved", I'd be calling you Dumba$$.....oh ....what was that?.......sure I'll let you take a moment to grab a tissue and wipe your face.......

Ok ready?? Sorry Homey...our "Zed's" don't come with any underbody protection. Like Japan really cares if your car has underbody protection. Ya....good one!! Underbody protection is a dealer option only and surface rust is avoidable if it is protected!! That is fact.

Oh and you've been out of North America more times than I ever will???

Why????? Do they constantly deport you as you try to come back in??
What else you got Dumba$$.....I....I mean Dissolved. Sorry, us Canadians have funny ways of pronouncing things. Oops!!
Old 03-18-2004, 12:09 PM
Dissolved

Unbelievable!! Do you actually think I said my car says Zed??? Oh man, now that I know your background, I definitely would recommend a few more English lessons in comprehension.

Oh, and you pronounce "Led Zeppelin" "Leed Zeeppelin" Right??? Moron. I'm talking about the way our letters are pronounced, not the way our words are pronouced. If that was the issue, instead of pronouncing your screen name as "Dissolved", I'd be calling you Dumba$$.....oh ....what was that?.......sure I'll let you take a moment to grab a tissue and wipe your face.......

Ok ready?? Sorry Homey...our "Zed's" don't come with any underbody protection. Like Japan really cares if your car has underbody protection. Ya....good one!! Underbody protection is a dealer option only and surface rust is avoidable if it is protected!! That is fact.

Oh and you've been out of North America more times than I ever will???

Why????? Do they constantly deport you as you try to come back in??
What else you got Dumba$$.....I....I mean Dissolved. Sorry, us Canadians have funny ways of pronouncing things. Oops!!
Ah...the low price of the 350z allows young kids to own them. Such a shame
Old 03-18-2004, 12:39 PM
phreezee

Originally posted by Dissolved
Ah...the low price of the 350z allows young kids to own them. Such a shame
LOL... I don't know about you, but I paid $54,000 taxes included for my Z when I was 24.

That's like buying a ZO6 or fully loaded M3 for an American

And the lowest trim you can get in Canada is Touring 5AT/6MT. The next is the Track.

I personally undercoated the rear wheel wells only, and then applied dynamat for the interior and its a vast improvement.
Sombody here suggested this stuff which is a little cheaper http://www.b-quiet.com/extreme.html

Last edited by phreezee; 03-18-2004 at 12:43 PM.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:29 PM
Dissolved

hehe. Poor tommyboy. The dealer has you fooled. Of course the car has undercoated protection from the factory. They have been doing this for years. Every car has it.

But you are obviously one of the gullible customers, salesmen love to ream up the a$$. So do this, pay the $99 and get it done. That way, we can see ya in about 4 years when you are posting "how do i get the rust off the bottom of my z"

Thanks for the laughs though. I truly enjoyed this thread.
Old 03-19-2004, 04:11 AM
TommyBoy76

Originally posted by phreezee
LOL... I don't know about you, but I paid $54,000 taxes included for my Z when I was 24.

That's like buying a ZO6 or fully loaded M3 for an American

And the lowest trim you can get in Canada is Touring 5AT/6MT. The next is the Track.

I personally undercoated the rear wheel wells only, and then applied dynamat for the interior and its a vast improvement.
Sombody here suggested this stuff which is a little cheaper http://www.b-quiet.com/extreme.html

Your right Phreezee.

And I paid $54, 000 Canadian for my Super Black Performance! And I was just 26 years old!!! Its good to be young. I guess my father was right, It does pay to be an Architect.

Dissolved.....could it be that your extremely jeolous of our youth?? Don't worry, maybe in another life you'll be able to enjoy your youth again!! For now just keep working your 3 jobs to afford your Zed.

And in the meantime old man, I guess we'll be seeing you posting," Guys....help...How do I get my d!ck up??!!"

And....no.... thank you for the laughs Dissolved!!! Remember me when you're at the retirement home.

P.S. Zed's never dead baby....I can't be beaten....
Old 03-19-2004, 05:04 AM
AndyB

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Points

But thats my whole point......sorry, I may not have mentioned that. It would be dealer installed and would have its own warrenty as long as I take it in every year for inspection. My car is only 4 months old so the warrenty would still apply if I decided to do the application. So its not too late. I have 2 years from the purchase of my car.

Should I go for it....it costs $99 Canadian.
And MY point is that the manufacturer put the recomendation in writing to protect consumers from dealships looking to add expensive add ons.

The manual for my Firebird even said so. It said something along the lines of:

Some dealers offer additional undercoating. The manufacturer of you vehicle does not recomend or approve the application of such products. Application of such products may void the body warranty.

I don't recall the exact wording, but that was the general idea. I remember it well because I showed to my salesman when he was trying to shove undercoating down my throat.

One of the problems with undercoating is that if any water gets between it and the body it stays trapped there and causes rust.
Old 03-19-2004, 05:10 AM
TommyBoy76

thanks AndyB....I'll thoroughly check my owners manual for any such clauses.

Quick Reply: Undercoat protection and Sound Deadener