Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

Feathering Sound??

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 02:37 PM
gianniz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Feathering Sound??

can someone describe what sound it makes?

I just bought a new 350z in australia (track i am pretty sure its 2004.5) 2 days old!
but I can hear like slight rattle nose when i am driving below say 50kph. I know i have a lot of crap in the luggage hoping its something in there thats rattling but I am paranoid to death!

I am at work but hoping during this time someone can assure me that this little rattle noise is not feathering problem (or something LOOSE!)
Old 03-24-2004, 02:45 PM
rouxeny

Unlikely to have problems with feathering right away in a new car. Wait a few thousand miles and then see.

The sound that feathering makes is generally while braking or otherwise slowing down, and typically while less than 30 mph (not sure what that is in kph). It's a fairly loud rumble.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:22 PM
Grommit

Well, here's the thing...

My 04 Track had 6 miles on the odo when I picked it up from the dealer. I checked out every thing on the car before I signed off on it and that included the tires and a quick test drive. The Tires were just fine.

However, on my trip home I noticed that slowing down from 35MPH would cause the same rumble sound that feathered tires cause, although it was not as pronounced as the 03 Track I test drove that had extensive feathering.

So what I'm wondering is are these tires just noisey when slowing down or did I somehow end up with feathered tires on my brand new car? I really doubt the latter. Either way the noise hasn't gotten worse so I'm not worried about it, (for now anyway).

Have others noticed their tires produced a roaring sound when they first got their Z? I know of two owners who noticed the sound from the day they picked up their new Z.
Old 03-24-2004, 03:27 PM
gianniz

so what is the sound that you here if it was a feathering?? i am so tempted to leave work now and go down stairs and empty my boots and try to see if the sound is still there!!!
Old 03-24-2004, 03:35 PM
gianniz

so what is the sound that you here if it was a feathering?? i am so tempted to leave work now and go down stairs and empty my boots and try to see if the sound is still there!!!
Old 03-24-2004, 03:39 PM
gianniz

well the sound doesn't seem to come from front from where it sounds its like the back of the car but it was quite hard to tell. It wasn't a roaring rumbling sound it was more like ticktickticktick
Old 03-24-2004, 03:47 PM
silver&black03
Banned

my feathering noise sounded louder than the 38" monster mudders on my offroad pig. they ROARED!
Old 03-24-2004, 03:50 PM
pimp1911

Go about 20 or 30 miles per hour. Turn down radio and listen for wawawawawaawawawa
Old 03-24-2004, 04:21 PM
rouxeny

That's a pretty good impression.

I really doubt you have feathering in a brand new car.

If you're concerned, check the tread depths on the inside and outside parts of your tire.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:34 PM
ares
Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

from someone that has never had it on his own car(lucky I guess)

I took a ride in one that had it.

oh yeah, youd know it. its just insane amounts of road noise, no other way to describe it IMO. it cant be mistaken as coming from anything but the tires.
Old 03-24-2004, 04:45 PM
zunzet

Just had my front tires replaced. Will pick up the car Thursday. The dealer told me the wawawawawa sound was normal and to live with it.
I called NNA and filed a complaint. They conferenced me in with the dealer and I had a new set of tires the same day. Hummm. Squeeky wheel gets some grease. or in this case, new tires.

All the other problems I have, I was told everything is to spec and the rear hatch latch problem is normal too.

You have to use 2 hands to open the hatch. Right...

I'm sure I'll be back with the same wawawawawa problem in a few thousand miles, and will go through this again.

Next time, I want my money back. I'll wait till the 400Z
Old 03-25-2004, 02:59 AM
gianniz

thank god sound was from one of the dvd covers knocking!
Hopefully i will not have this feathering problem.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:40 AM
BigBadBuford

Originally posted by Grommit
Well, here's the thing...

My 04 Track had 6 miles on the odo when I picked it up from the dealer. I checked out every thing on the car before I signed off on it and that included the tires and a quick test drive. The Tires were just fine.

However, on my trip home I noticed that slowing down from 35MPH would cause the same rumble sound that feathered tires cause, although it was not as pronounced as the 03 Track I test drove that had extensive feathering.

So what I'm wondering is are these tires just noisey when slowing down or did I somehow end up with feathered tires on my brand new car? I really doubt the latter. Either way the noise hasn't gotten worse so I'm not worried about it, (for now anyway).

Have others noticed their tires produced a roaring sound when they first got their Z? I know of two owners who noticed the sound from the day they picked up their new Z.
I noticed the roaring sound when slowing down the first time I ever drove my Z when it had 14 miles on it, although it was nothing like it was when the tires were really feathered.