Notices
2003-2009 Nissan 350Z

350Z Tivo Ads?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 01:59 PM
Dissident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 350Z Tivo Ads?

Read this on Slashdot (click). has anyone seen the ad?? I have the Dish PVR version of Tivo, and I guess I miss out on some cool stuff (tho it can't track what I watch like Tivo does!)

Nissan Did This (Score:5, Interesting)
by tbdean (163865) on Thursday March 25, @12:42AM (#8664700)
(http://trugeek.com/)
One of the best ones I saw was for the Nissan 350Z. In the Showcase it said to press 'select' and they'd mail me a DVD of the Z racing around Prague. Sure enough, a bit later a DVD showed up at my door after simply pressing a button on my remote.

Now that's a powerful car commercial.

[ Reply to This | Parent ]

Re:Nissan Did This (Score:5, Insightful)
by TGK (262438) <Killfile AT Nephandus DOT Com> on Thursday March 25, @07:58AM (#8666080)
(http://www.nephandus.com/)
Hell of a lot more powerful than you realize. There are a number of factors that make a commercial powerfull (these are in ascending order).

1 - Brand Recognition: Just putting that Nike Swoosh on the screen reminds me who Nike is, why I should buy their product, and brings to mind decades of advertising and social conditioning.

2 - Rational Argument: Our product costs less, our product does X. Statments of fact leading a consumer to choose one product over another. Informing the customer about the product. These are key, particulary for large purchases.

3 - Irrational Argument: Warm "feel good" images cause people to associate a product with an emotion or set of desired circumstances. You see this most in prepackaged food ads. Note the family sitting down to dinner together, note the wholsome looking meal, everyone smiling, etc. The families these ads are targed at genrealy don't have the time for this, and frequently mom and dad desire it.

4 - Coolness Factor: Product endorsements fit in here. This is particularly influential over children. Be like Mike anyone?

5 - Social Impact: The most powerfull advertising weapon of all and the hardest to tame. The creation of a commericial that gets people talking about the commercial means that people must necessary talk about the product. The honda element commercial? The Salmon commercial (with the bear that does kung foo... don't remember the name). The Cat Hearders commercial. Pepsi through the Generations Commercial. If people remember and can discuss your ads years later you've had a lasting impact on them.

So the Nissan 350Z managed to hit the Social Impact meter pretty hard. How many hundreds of thousands who've never seen that add just read your comment? I for one didn't even realize that Nissan made a high end sports car, now I know not only that they do, I know the name of it, and I know there's probably video of it out on the net of it zipping about Prague. Now I haven't a red cent to buy the blasted thing with, but now its in my head, and that's the point of advertising.
Old 03-25-2004, 08:47 PM
cwerdna

Default Re: 350Z Tivo Ads?

Originally posted by Dissident
I have the Dish PVR version of Tivo, and I guess I miss out on some cool stuff
Dish PVR is a TOTAL JOKE of a PVR compared to Tivo. The early versions of their software were horribly didn't even have search and were unstable and buggy. Even now, it doesn't have 1/2 the functionality of a Tivo.

BTW, I do recall some content on Tivo re: the Z, but nothing really stood out and I already had a couple copies of The Run.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:32 PM
Dissident

Yeah, the early software wsa junk, but they've added some decent stuff, and while it may not have all the Tivo features, it is FREE. Can't beat that! I mean, it is free on top of the dish contract, but that is the same as my cable was, and you can get a 2 room w/ 2 100 hour PVRs with a 2 year contract (1 with 1 year, 3 with 3 year), add your old PVRs to it (I got my 40 hour one hooked up, too), way cheaper than I could do 3 tivos! OMG, I need to get out of the house more! lol